What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 am

Sore Thumb wrote:Not available yet, but, Digitaka has the CT reels listed with expected prices.
Yep, same price as Steez Sv Tw........looks like tacklewarehouse increased prices of steez sv and steez a by $50 so CT could be around $550 when it comes here

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 am

Pastrmka wrote:
Sore Thumb wrote:Not available yet, but, Digitaka has the CT reels listed with expected prices.
Yep, same price as Steez Sv Tw........looks like tacklewarehouse increased prices of steez sv and steez a by $50 so CT could be around $550 when it comes here
What in the ??????????????? Why and how did they do this? Seems odd for a reel that will be considered the old model very soon. I cannot believe they upped the price like that. Has everyone else done this too?

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 am

Daiwa's own website has SV TW listed at $499 so not sure why tacklewarehouse has it at $550.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 am

If you are ordering "new" reels as opposed to ones you already have in stock the price has increased. I would expect we will all see an increase in the price of the Steez, both current models. At this point the Steez CT is an addition not a replacement, or that is what it appears to me. Obviously I could be wrong. Also I believe the CT will be priced above the Steez SV TW, and I hope I am wrong on that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 am

timinmo wrote:If you are ordering "new" reels as opposed to ones you already have in stock the price has increased. I would expect we will all see an increase in the price of the Steez, both current models. At this point the Steez CT is an addition not a replacement, or that is what it appears to me. Obviously I could be wrong. Also I believe the CT will be priced above the Steez SV TW, and I hope I am wrong on that.
The JDM sites I checked had the Steez CT SV at $472 and the old Steez SV TW at $476. Had the Alphas CT SV at $250. They are always cheaper though and those reels technically aren't in stock yet so it isn't in stone. It really doesn't make sense though as to why they increase $50 on both the A and SV TW, but no one else does.

Ohh well though, makes mine worth more. Might order another from Japan while they are cheap and feel $50 more proud of it. I thought maybe they would change that Hobbit style 80mm handle to justify the price change...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am

Word is, US price on the Steez CT SV 70 will be 699 bucks. No thanks. 472 bucks on Digitaka

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Word is, US price on the Steez CT SV 70 will be 699 bucks. No thanks. 472 bucks on Digitaka
That's embarrassing. The market for nice reels is awful here. I have facebook advertised to fix reels a few times and end up doing it for free most of the time. Feel bad charging someone anything when the price of their reel is 50 bucks or so. I know the fishing industry is a huge market, but I don't see the high end of it where I am at. Just seems Daiwa could have done better to have this new version on the $450 side or even $400 like the Steez SV rather than a potential +$600 USDM price. I just don't see the justification for $150 or more versus other models.

I do love my Steez A though and so far for $350 I feel like I did good. If I could do it all over again, I would have a few less total reels and just have all those (at that price).

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Word is, US price on the Steez CT SV 70 will be 699 bucks. No thanks. 472 bucks on Digitaka
Didnt they learn with the PX Type-R?

No one really bought that reel (for full price, 500 USD). I owned one and it was a nice reel. I also got mine for far less than retail. That reel came with a carbon handle and cork knobs too.

I wonder how Daiwa's Pro Staff are going to be able to sell this reel? Imagine Ish Monroe: " Hey guys, Ish Monroe here going over my 2019 flippin setup. An ounce and a half River 2 Sea Trash Bomb, 5 ought River 2 Sea New Jack Flippin Hook, 65lb Maxima braid, Missile Baits D-Bomb in the Candy Grass color on my signature Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS Flippin Stick and...the all new Daiwa Steez SV TW CT!! This reel is so light and compact. I can accurately pitch to the smallest targets thanks to the all new 30mm SV concept spool. Not only does it help with pitching and casting, it also allows the reel to be smaller. Its like it disappears in my hand and I forget im even using a reel. At 5.3oz (or whatever), I can fish this reel all day without getting fatigued. Come in the 6.3 and 7.1 gear ratios. It retails for $699 and can be found at any Bass Pro Shop near you"
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Didnt they learn with the PX Type-R?

No one really bought that reel (for full price, 500 USD). I owned one and it was a nice reel. I also got mine for far less than retail. That reel came with a carbon handle and cork knobs too.

I wonder how Daiwa's Pro Staff are going to be able to sell this reel? Imagine Ish Monroe: " Hey guys, Ish Monroe here going over my 2019 flippin setup. An ounce and a half River 2 Sea Trash Bomb, 5 ought River 2 Sea New Jack Flippin Hook, 65lb Maxima braid, Missile Baits D-Bomb in the Candy Grass color on my signature Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS Flippin Stick and...the all new Daiwa Steez SV TW CT!! This reel is so light and compact. I can accurately pitch to the smallest targets thanks to the all new 30mm SV concept spool. Not only does it help with pitching and casting, it also allows the reel to be smaller. Its like it disappears in my hand and I forget im even using a reel. At 5.3oz (or whatever), I can fish this reel all day without getting fatigued. Come in the 6.3 and 7.1 gear ratios. It retails for $699 and can be found at any Bass Pro Shop near you"
:lol:
<")))><{

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Down here in Oz, a lot of the big retailers bump up the prices just before a sale of some sort. Easier to give a 20% discount on a reel if you've just put the price up by 10%. A huge number of the buying public wouldn't know. Luckily for me, and I hope most TT readers, I know a couple of local shops, who don't play those games and usually sell for less than the big players anyway.
PS, Digitaka is much cheaper than the "reservation" price on PLAT.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Guys we can debate it all we want but if the retail stores have to pay more we probably will also. I'm interested to see if the price holds up on Digitaka. It is easy to advertise a price on something you don't have.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Pretty much sums it up concerning what the pro's will say. I just cannot believe a smaller spool and ergonomics would justify an even MORE premium price. No way that reel is selling for $700 US. Unless I am in for a rude awakening and our economy is about to dump along with the value of the dollar. Just shocking to hear about the CT SV's potential price and the original SV TW and A versions getting a $50 bump.

I mainly want to know why the old versions jumped $50. Anyone who does research knows the original MSRP, why has only TW added the $50???

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Precisely why many of us stock up on older models (TD-Z, OG Fuego, Zillion, SV103) to simply have parts galore to enhance reels without the markup of the "latest and greatest."

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:23 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Pretty much sums it up concerning what the pro's will say. I just cannot believe a smaller spool and ergonomics would justify an even MORE premium price. No way that reel is selling for $700 US. Unless I am in for a rude awakening and our economy is about to dump along with the value of the dollar. Just shocking to hear about the CT SV's potential price and the original SV TW and A versions getting a $50 bump.

I mainly want to know why the old versions jumped $50. Anyone who does research knows the original MSRP, why has only TW added the $50???
I went to Japan Tackle recently to look if they had the 9.1 zillion sv tw in left still. Was bouncing around the idea of adding another as long as they are still available. It had gone up around 50 since I bought my old one for 260 when they first came out. Thought it was weird. Helped me decide that I’m good with the one.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:10 pm

You do know that if the price of ..... ah... gas that your local station sells, that is the price they have to buy it for, goes up. They don't wait until they have sold all the old gas they had previously to raise the price. They raise the price. That is the way it works for milk at the grocery or pants at the department store. It also works like that at the sporting goods store if the last shipment of reels costs more than the previous ones all the prices go up. We may not like it but that is how it works.