What's next for Daiwa...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What's next for Daiwa...

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:34 am

Any hints at what might be coming out at the beginning of next year from Daiwa? Do you think another variant (perhaps SV) of the Tatula 100 or a Zillion version of it with a free floating spool? Initially, I was not overly impressed with the new 100 (and maybe I got a dud) but may be willing to revisit in the future. I may just hold out for what's coming next so any speculation or rumors are of course welcome here on TT! :D

So...what do you all think?

Best wishes on the water!

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's next for Daiwa...

Post by Loafer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:31 am

Big-Bass wrote:Any hints at what might be coming out at the beginning of next year from Daiwa?
Hello, Friend!
I hope it will be Steez SV TW 1016CC with 5.3 gear ratio :D.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:35 am

I've never been a huge fan of any of the Tatula's. Daiwa's older reels are my favorites. I think Daiwa should bring the Pixy back with a SV spool and also make it so that you can customize it with after market parts.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 am

They're finally, after hundreds of years, making the Z1016. Because that's not enough, they're reintroducing the beloved TDZ, which will be just a bit below the Steez price. But wait, that's not enough. They're also reintroducing the pixys with an ultra shallow SV spools.

nvm we're not getting anything but TW added to another reel no one asked for :crying:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 am

Big-Bass wrote:Any hints at what might be coming out at the beginning of next year from Daiwa?

I would be willing to give Daiwa a try if only they would bring some centrifugal brake reels to the market. But they keep using magnets! And their shape is bulky
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 am

Just going by history, I'd assume we see a Tatula 100 Type R which will be identical to the just released tatula 100 but /w a lighter spool, different handle/frame accents.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:32 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:

More reels with magnets.

I would be willing to give Daiwa a try if only they would bring some centrifugal brake reels to the market. But they keep using magnets!

My next reel is a Shimano Curado DC. Time for a change!

I used reels with magnets back in the 80's. Technology advances, but some still use the same old thing repackaged in different ways. Point is I don't expect much new from Daiwa period.
Hating on Daiwa for using magnets, saying they need centrifugal braking... Then buying a Shimano... with MAGNETS???

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:48 pm

The op asked a question. I provided an answer.

I would consider new daiwa reels if they would produce something other than magnets.

A fair answer to the question.

I Odon'tKhaveDanyAshimanoIreelsWwithAmagnets. ShimanoFandUtechnologyKhaveImovedNbeyond.SStatingUobviousXis not hating on daiwa just responding to op request. I don't expect anything new from them. Just same old thing is all.

Brain fart coming... happened. 8-[
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:10 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:The op asked a question. I provided an answer.

I would consider new daiwa reels if they would produce something other than magnets.

A fair answer to the question.

I don't have any shimano reels with magnets. Shimano and technology have moved beyond. Stating obvious is not hating on daiwa just responding to op request. I don't expect anything new from them. Just same old thing is all.
Just found it ironic that magnetic controls aren't so bad if they are necessary for DC reels (and Shimano's Finesse Tune Brake). Shimano's finesse tune brake is for sure less innovative than SV magnetic reels.

I do agree though somewhat and wish Daiwa would innovate more, rather than "refresh" models and platform upgrades. I still don't think the newest SVS braking is moved past Daiwa's SV tech though.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:

More reels with magnets.

I would be willing to give Daiwa a try if only they would bring some centrifugal brake reels to the market. But they keep using magnets!

My next reel is a Shimano Curado DC. Time for a change!

I used reels with magnets back in the 80's. Technology advances, but some still use the same old thing repackaged in different ways. Point is I don't expect much new from Daiwa period.
What's the point of centrifugal brakes? Before SV spools were released, the answer to that would be to cast less aerodynamic lures (like cranks for example) with better control and less chances of getting an overrun. But now that SV brakes are a thing, the centrifugal brakes have zero advantages.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:12 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Just found it ironic that magnetic controls aren't so bad if they are necessary for DC reels (and Shimano's Finesse Tune Brake). Shimano's finesse tune brake is for sure less innovative than SV magnetic reels.

I do agree though somewhat and wish Daiwa would innovate more, rather than "refresh" models and platform upgrades. I still don't think the newest SVS braking is moved past Daiwa's SV tech though.
There is a huge difference.

As with Daiwa, the magentic flux density does not change throughout the cast. It is the same at all times- at the top of the cast, in the middle of the cast, and at the tail end of the cast. The magnetic "grab" on the spool is constant. No change what so ever.

This is the same old thing that has been inside of reels for 40 years. Nothing new under the sun there except for packaging and repackaging.

But if you look over at Shimano with the DC reel, it does not use magnets for the braking. It uses magnets for the generation of electrical power to energize the computer microprocessor circuitry that watches the rotation speed of the spool throughout the cast and applies braking only as needed. Not a constant magnetic grab on the spool like Daiwa.

Here is what Shimano says about the DC:

"Shimano’s new Digital Control braking system utilizes a microcomputer to monitor spool speed 1,000 times every second and apply the perfect amount of brake to prevent backlash and maximize distance. Anglers of all skill levels will appreciate less thumbing and trouble-free casting in all conditions."

Computer controlled VARIABLE braking as NEEDED! Huge difference between constant magnet strength and variably applied braking as needed.

So there is something new under the sun, but it does not say Daiwa.

What Daiwa does is repackage, repackage, repackage the same old thing for decades. Different color paint schemes, shave the spools down and make them pretty colors, change the shape of the reel, use more plastic parts, etc. But in the end nothing new.

So this is why I said above I did not expect anything new from them. Daiwa is still using magnets same as we have seen for 40 years but Shimano is now putting computers inside of reels and generators. I just purchased a Shimano Curado DC and waiting on the mailman to deliver!

I don't know about you, but I don't want constant strength magnetic flux density throughout the cast when it is not needed, but Daiwa has no way to turn off the magnets. It is what it is.

I am left wondering when and if Daiwa will ever make the leaps into the future Shimano has done.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:41 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

There is a huge difference.

As with Daiwa, the magentic flux density does not change throughout the cast. It is the same at all times- at the top of the cast, in the middle of the cast, and at the tail end of the cast. The magnetic "grab" on the spool is constant. No change what so ever.

This is the same old thing that has been inside of reels for 40 years. Nothing new under the sun there except for packaging and repackaging.

But if you look over at Shimano with the DC reel, it does not use magnets for the braking. It uses magnets for the generation of electrical power to energize the computer microprocessor circuitry that watches the rotation speed of the spool throughout the cast and applies braking only as needed. Not a constant magnetic grab on the spool like Daiwa.

Here is what Shimano says about the DC:

"Shimano’s new Digital Control braking system utilizes a microcomputer to monitor spool speed 1,000 times every second and apply the perfect amount of brake to prevent backlash and maximize distance. Anglers of all skill levels will appreciate less thumbing and trouble-free casting in all conditions."

Computer controlled VARIABLE braking as NEEDED! Huge difference between constant magnet strength and variably applied braking as needed.

So there is something new under the sun, but it does not say Daiwa.

What Daiwa does is repackage, repackage, repackage the same old thing for decades. Different color paint schemes, shave the spools down and make them pretty colors, change the shape of the reel, use more plastic parts, etc. But in the end nothing new.

So this is why I said above I did not expect anything new from them. Daiwa is still using magnets same as we have seen for 40 years but Shimano is now putting computers inside of reels and generators. I just purchased a Shimano Curado DC and waiting on the mailman to deliver!

I don't know about you, but I don't want constant strength magnetic flux density throughout the cast when it is not needed, but Daiwa has no way to turn off the magnets. It is what it is.

I am left wondering when and if Daiwa will ever make the leaps into the future Shimano has done.
Shimano DC isn't anything new. It's been around and used on their reels for years.

And how is a braking system all of a sudden some make it or break it for people? Love using my thumb /w minimal brakes.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:47 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Shimano DC isn't anything new. It's been around and used on their reels for years.

And how is a braking system all of a sudden some make it or break it for people? Love using my thumb /w minimal brakes.
It is all new in the curado mid-line.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 pm

The new DC system just simply is less adjustable. Still an amazing technology, but it is just less adjustable than JDM counterparts. There have been plenty of low profile DC reels, even though Japanese fisherman have slightly different techniques, they aren't that much different to have totally different reels with braking systems not matching...

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:07 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
As with Daiwa, the magentic flux density does not change throughout the cast. It is the same at all times- at the top of the cast, in the middle of the cast, and at the tail end of the cast. The magnetic "grab" on the spool is constant.
I'm no Electro Magnet PHD, but I will venture to say that this statement is completly inaccurate for elementary reasons. Why?
Daiwa spool inductors move in and out of the magnetic field through out the cast, this in itself will cause a variation of the total MFD applied to the inductor and ultimatly it's dictation of the rotation of the spool.
A beveled inductor again will have a variation of total MFD based on the thickness variation in the metal, as that inductor moves in and out of the magnetic field it will add a more complex variation to the MFD and ultimatly the infuence on spool spin charactaristics.

You mention that you work at Kel's in Central Florida and the shop you work at is now certified for Daiwa repair. I don't think many people on this forum would feel comfortable sending their Daiwa's to your facility based soley on your abrasive nature of toward the product poorly guised as "I'm just telling it like it is man" facade.

Oh and to get back on topic. I want to see a damn 36mm SV spool already.