What's next for Daiwa...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's next for Daiwa...

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I'm going to side with Shimano in manufacturing of the plastic levelwind. Till I see an issue, not a worry. I was scared of the whole non aluminum frame thing... Tried an SS/SV, wasn't so bad, ended up liking it. Tried a Chronarch MGL, absolutely loved it. Sad realization when you don't catch enough big fish to really test your equipment. I thought I wore out a set of 9.1 Zillion TWS gears I mentioned changing on here. Looked at the old set yesterday and found dust/grit I accidentally left there when cleaning in. Pretty sure they would be smooth again now after an appropriate polish, even though I prefer the 7.3.

I hope if Daiwa releases anything new they offer an 8 speed. A 7 gear covers everything, but an 8 gear and 7 gear Steez A variant would handle anything I could need.

For deep crankers, I think the only USDM 5 gear is on the Tatula CT (and maybe the Ryoga 1520). So maybe Daiwa will bring those.

Maybe we could petition for a Z1016???

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 am

Daiwa, please bring back one-touch folding handles on your spinning reels, and everything will be good again.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 am

I demand 3D brakes to be reintroduced into their high end reels :!:

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 am

SSS wrote:I demand 3D brakes to be reintroduced into their high end reels :!:
Oh man, can you imagine if they brought that to the table in the Tatula or the Zillion. In fact, lets get a Zillion Type R with the 3D Magforce system and a 1016 spool! =D>
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Oh man, can you imagine if they brought that to the table in the Tatula or the Zillion. In fact, lets get a Zillion Type R with the 3D Magforce system and a 1016 spool! =D>

Let's! With CF handles, cork grips, bearings everywhere, and 5,6,7,&9 ratios in both retieves. And maybe try dual inductor springs of different rates or something.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 am

poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Let's! With CF handles, cork grips, bearings everywhere, and 5,6,7,&9 ratios in both retieves. And maybe try dual inductor springs of different rates or something.
Yeah, 2 springs, because we cant trust 1. :doh: But wait, you left out the 8 ratio, and LH availability for all ratios. (Im not a LH guy, but I feel they dont give them enough options)

:lol:
<")))><{

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Yeh, SV Zillion with Steez 103 (Type-r+) spool with HLC spring is very nice combo, but mine needs higher gears than current 6.3:1. And 3D Magforce would please me and also all other engineers :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I want Magforce 3D on a Steez A with brass gears. Make it happen Daiwa and call it a Zillion. Trickle down, don't trickle up. No more Tatula-Zillions.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Yeah, 2 springs, because we cant trust 1. :doh: But wait, you left out the 8 ratio, and LH availability for all ratios. (Im not a LH guy, but I feel they dont give them enough options)

Hey, it's never been done. Who knows? Maybe it would give the spool a more variable braking profile, depending on spool speed, so it behaves differently when casting vs pitching. And I did say both retrieves. Who needs 8 if you have 7.3 and 9.1?
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:17 pm

poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Hey, it's never been done. Who knows? Maybe it would give the spool a more variable braking profile, depending on spool speed, so it behaves differently when casting vs pitching. And I did say both retrieves. Who needs 8 if you have 7.3 and 9.1?
The spring thing was a joke towards the guy who cant trust his reel to one spring. :lol: I missed the both retrieve part, my bad. :doh: :lol: No 8 though? fills the gap of being a higher than 7, but still better torque than the 9? Just a thought
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

The spring thing was a joke towards the guy who cant trust his reel to one spring. :lol: I missed the both retrieve part, my bad. :doh: :lol: No 8 though? fills the gap of being a higher than 7, but still better torque than the 9? Just a thought
I figured, :lol: Poor guy dug himself a pretty deep hole pretty quickly.

Hey, if they want to come out with 5 different retrieves, I'm all for it. I'd rather have the 9, though. Plus we're talking about a $400+ reel here, easy, so unless I hit the lottery...
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote: The spring thing was a joke towards the guy who cant trust his reel to one spring. :lol:
Not my reel! I don't do the one spring thingy. I got computers in my reels now! \:D/ All that super technology relying on one spring... go figure
poisonokie wrote: Hey, it's never been done. Who knows? Maybe it would give the spool a more variable braking profile, depending on spool speed, so it behaves differently when casting vs pitching.
Glad to see the physics- the truth of physics- hit home! :big grin:

No closing that pandora's box now! Physics versus hype! Physics won!
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Clearly I was talking about fixed spools. It was a given.

So here we go... I am wrong and in a hole because others misunderstood what I wrote? Happens all the time.

Now if you want to get technical, look at the statement used against me...

"Daiwa spool inductors move in and out"

His statement is wrong. NOT ALL daiwa inductors move in and out. Only some.

Decide on facts, not emotion or whatever the left uses.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 pm

The vast majority of Daiwa spools are spring loaded, so unless your last reel was from the TDX era, I'd say your point is moot.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Even on a fixed inductor the induced flux does increase and decrease throughout the cast due to spool speed alone although I am generally not a fan of fixed inductor reels with the exception of UL baits and BFS spools. While there are exceptions, a fixed inductor reel will brake too much at the end off the cast and turning the mag dial down to compensate will not provide sufficient braking at the beginning of the cast unless you use very fluid casting motion to encourage a more gentle spool start up. This is why I prefer Magforce Z over Magforce. With Magforce Z the inductor will be extended at the beginning of the cast and retract as the spool slows. This allows me to whip the bait out there like a centrifugal reel yet still have some braking control as the spool slows and bait nears the water or in some cases while the bait is skipping on the surface of the water.