Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Basshog10lber
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:33 am

Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Basshog10lber » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:37 am

Has anyone tried the new Abu Garcia Burner in the 10.1:1?

Looking to replace 5 reels used for punching. I purchased yesterday and haven't had it on the water yet but my first thoughts are below.

-Handle bends
-Handle has a little slop in it

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1924
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby LgMouthGambler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:35 am

Get some JDM Zillion SV TW in the 9 ration and be done with it.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 3887
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:37 am

I used a buddy's reel just the other day for about 10 minutes. You're right- the handle flexes. If you're gonna keep it for punching, replace it with a long aluminum handle. As far as the reel goes, it's nice, but lacks torque. I dont think it would do well dragging out a 5# fish plus all the salad when punching mats. And I agree with Matt-the Zillion SV TW would be a better fit for your needs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Johnny A » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:07 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I used a buddy's reel just the other day for about 10 minutes. You're right- the handle flexes. If you're gonna keep it for punching, replace it with a long aluminum handle. As far as the reel goes, it's nice, but lacks torque. I dont think it would do well dragging out a 5# fish plus all the salad when punching mats. And I agree with Matt-the Zillion SV TW would be a better fit for your needs.


There's a standard equation for torque and horsepower.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Dalleinf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am

^^^ Do you guys use the reel to drag fish from cover or anywhere? :-k I don’t. I let the rod do all the tough work and just use the reel to reel in slack line, which makes a fast reel great for getting fish away from cover in my book... That being said, I make do with sub 10:1 gear ratio reels :lol:

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby jvelth74 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am

Johnny A wrote:There's a standard equation for torque and horsepower.

And in addition to that, efficiency equivalent in high ratio gears is not as good as in standard gears.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Johnny A » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:24 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:There's a standard equation for torque and horsepower.

And in addition to that, efficiency equivalent in high ratio gears is not as good as in standard gears.
Attachments
quite_quite.jpg
quite_quite.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 813 times

Polkfish1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Polkfish1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Johnny A wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:There's a standard equation for torque and horsepower.

And in addition to that, efficiency equivalent in high ratio gears is not as good as in standard gears.


:lol:

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby jvelth74 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am

^ Hmmm, something fun. Maybe it’s my bad English because I just don’t get it. But not needed to be explained :D

Efficiency of gears is not big thing because it can be easily compensated by more power. But in addition to that the efficiency of baitcasting reel gears is more or less same as sensitivity of retrieve. If efficiency is not good then sensitivity of retrieve is poor and that’s very sad thing in my opinion. I guess that this is the main reason why there's no 15:1 gears or something.

I have never fished GT but I have seen that they use spinning reels for that. I don't know but I guess that the main reason for this is there's no sufficient high ratios baitcasting reels.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1924
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby LgMouthGambler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:36 am

I notice the bigger "drag" on power in the higher gear ratios. We do a lot of flipping/pitching cover down here, and its mostly like punching mats of vegetation. When I have tried the higher ratios, trying to reel in the 1.5oz tungsten and bait gets tiresome. Usually have a good medium around the 7 gears ratios, so thats what I stick to. Sure, the higher gears are a bit faster to get the bait back to you, but the overall outcome seems to be more of a pain to me in the long run. I can see it really being effective in topwater presentations. Like using popper style baits that dont weigh a ton. Long casts, a missed blow up, and then get the bait back to you to get it back in position. I can see that being a really big advantage.
<")))><{

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Johnny A » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 am

jvelth74 wrote:^ Hmmm, something fun. Maybe it’s my bad English because I just don’t get it. But not needed to be explained :D

Efficiency of gears is not big thing because it can be easily compensated by more power. But in addition to that the efficiency of baitcasting reel gears is more or less same as sensitivity of retrieve. If efficiency is not good then sensitivity of retrieve is poor and that’s very sad thing in my opinion. I guess that this is the main reason why there's no 15:1 gears or something.

I have never fished GT but I have seen that they use spinning reels for that. I don't know but I guess that the main reason for this is there's no sufficient high ratios baitcasting reels.


Please accept my apologies. I was unaware English wasn't your first language. I thought your response to me was sarcastic, edgy humor.
It would have to be 10+ years and 2 site breakdowns ago but we had several long discussions about torque vs horsepower.
If there's anything I can do to be of assistance, I will certainly glad to be of assistance.
j

Polkfish1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby Polkfish1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Guys:

I also appologize. I meant no insult. I just found myself looking up that equation and then when I returned to the post the picture cracked me up. All good fun and I’m always learning more about reels from you guys

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby jvelth74 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:24 am

Thank you guys! Now I finally got it :)

I haven’t been there 10 years ago, because those times we had active and high quality fishing sites in Finland. But nowadays there’s no good quality active sites in Finland. But I found that this site is active and high quality. Because of that I decided to read this site and write here. And at the same time I can practice my English.

User avatar
poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby poisonokie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 am

jvelth74 wrote:Thank you guys! Now I finally got it :)

I haven’t been there 10 years ago, because those times we had active and high quality fishing sites in Finland. But nowadays there’s no good quality active sites in Finland. But I found that this site is active and high quality. Because of that I decided to read this site and write here. And at the same time I can practice my English.


How 'bout that Raikonnen @ the USGP??
Cast baits, not doubts.

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Abu Garcia Burner 10.1:1 Gear Ratio Thoughts

Postby jvelth74 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 am

Räikkonen; it’s nice that hi is still racing. And I’m very happy seeing that hi still got the speed also. This season he have given much of support to Sebastian and in addition to that hi has been unlucky couple of times. I’m hoping that hi will like racing in next year in Sauber. And hoping to see a lot of tyre to tyre duels. In my opinion Kimi Räikkönen is a living legend and F1 will lose a lot of (fun moments) after Kimi is not racing any more.


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adisetia1 and 18 guests