ZPi Tatula SV spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

ZPi Tatula SV spool

Post by JWR075 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Has anyone tried this spool (NRC 002 PG) yet, if so how does it compare to stock SV spool?

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/phone/product/3865

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPi Tatula SV spool

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Sweet. It should really open this reel up.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:25 am

I broke down and ordered one of the PG spools. I received it yesterday and boy is this rascal light weight at 10.55 grams, which compares to 13.85 grams for the stock SV spool.
I have not gotten to spool it up and test it just yet but expect it to really perform well with the small mouth baits I throw this time of year which are mainly in the 5 to 10 gram range....We will see...

Another benefit is that this reel now weighs 6.8 ounces with the spool change and other things I've done instead of the 7.2 ounces it started out at...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 am

daiwafan wrote:I broke down and ordered one of the PG spools. I received it yesterday and boy is this rascal light weight at 10.55 grams, which compares to 13.85 grams for the stock SV spool.
I have not gotten to spool it up and test it just yet but expect it to really perform well with the small mouth baits I throw this time of year which are mainly in the 5 to 10 gram range....We will see...

Another benefit is that this reel now weighs 6.8 ounces with the spool change and other things I've done instead of the 7.2 ounces it started out at...
Really cool spool, wish they have made it a tad more shallow. I am assuming you are talking about the Tatula SV spool weight at 13.85 grams? And 10.55 for the ZPI Tatula SV spool? I think the 1016 version is even lighter than that by a few grams, I guess that spool shaft counts for some, but the bearing for the 1016 should compensate that.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 am

Any more info on this spool? Who has had some time with it? How are you liking the performance?
<")))><{

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:56 am

Dang the M model is just 9.9 grams, might have to grab one of these...

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 am

:D I am assuming you are talking about the Tatula SV spool weight at 13.85 grams? And 10.55 for the ZPI Tatula SV spool? :D

Yes the Tatula ZPI PG Spool is 10.55g compared to 13.85g for the stock Tatula SV spool.

I just put some line on it and cast a few times in the snow in the parking lot. Seems as though it will be a fantastic spool for lighter baits. Feels like it casts much more free than SV spool and I am certain I was casting farther although I did not make a direct comparison between the two....

As for the M spool, yeah I really would have preferred it if I had done due diligence to realize they even made one....until of course I had already ordered the PG..LOL

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm

daiwafan wrote::D I am assuming you are talking about the Tatula SV spool weight at 13.85 grams? And 10.55 for the ZPI Tatula SV spool? :D

Yes the Tatula ZPI PG Spool is 10.55g compared to 13.85g for the stock Tatula SV spool.

I just put some line on it and cast a few times in the snow in the parking lot. Seems as though it will be a fantastic spool for lighter baits. Feels like it casts much more free than SV spool and I am certain I was casting farther although I did not make a direct comparison between the two....

As for the M spool, yeah I really would have preferred it if I had done due diligence to realize they even made one....until of course I had already ordered the PG..LOL
So they DO make an M size spool for the Tatula SV??? I was just speculating and talking about the 1016 versions. Daiwa needs to bring the 1016 size to cheaper platforms eventually. Could also advertise the dual pinion support then, which other brands like Shimano are bringing to cheaper price points (x-ship), but most Daiwa's already have dual main gear support too.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 am

There is an M spool for Tatula SV. Hedgehog Studio has both versions in stock, the PG and the M.

Funny thing is they only have the PG version listed under the list of parts that fit each of the various reels that they have pictures of under the Daiwa dressup section. After placing the order I was flipping back through their site and saw there is a M version shown in the spool section for Daiwa. Oh well, I'm happy with the PG .....

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 pm

Just an update on the spool after having a chance to fish it several times....

This spool totally transformed the Tatula SV into a machine that now casts right there with the best that I've ever seen. Now to qualify that, I have a variety of BFS spools including both styles of IS Megabass spools, a multitude of Rays spools, Presso, PX Finesse and of course a Alphas Finesse Custom with the spool from a T3 Air that was built by Ian Shields.

The best combo I have for casting the baits I typically use is a Steez SV TW with a Megabass IS spool, followed closely by the Ian Alpha. The reel is a close third...today I was playing around casting and pitching a 1/16 oz marabou jig with no trailer. Couldnt have weighed much more than 3 grams and was very pleased with the distance I was able to flick it.

I am going to buy a M spool in red next for another Tat SV I have.

The main reason I chose to upgrade the Tat SV reels is the fact that they spin so freely by simply flicking the drag star. When I'm fishing for winter smallmouth I'm barely moving the bait at times with the rod, then taking up the slack by turning the handle a turn or so. Over time I've found myself doing this more and more one handed using a finger, flicking the drag star from underneath the reel. The Tatulas with the long spool shaft do this more freely than any other Daiwa with the short spool shaft.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Just a quick update.

I got the M version of the spool today and it weighs 10.44 grams compared to 10.55 for the PG. I didn't spool it up yet but expect the weight difference to be more significant because it holds less line.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am

That's some valid point/review on the Tat SV daiwafan. Thank you

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm

You are Welcome

I can't wait to try out the M version but the weather here is turning bad again and it may be a while before I get to try it out for real. I may get it spooled up for testing sooner but probably not this weekend with several inches of snow coming.

SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Post by SapperTyler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 am

Just curios do you guys have issues with your stock Sv spool inductor being to loose/light? Mine makes a knocking sound when the spool stops after a cast.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am

SapperTyler wrote:Just curios do you guys have issues with your stock Sv spool inductor being to loose/light? Mine makes a knocking sound when the spool stops after a cast.
Mine rattles when retrieving a trap or chatterbait. Sounds like the inductor, but can't confirm.