OG Zillion Variations

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: OG Zillion Variations

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:22 am

LowRange wrote:Zillion Type R and SV103?
There is also the Bathing Ape variant. :big grin:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
LowRange wrote:Zillion Type R and SV103?
There is also the Bathing Ape variant. :big grin:
Yep, that puke-green bape is either love it or hate it. I thought it was cool myself, but they are from an era where the reels were all shiny and slick. Today, the matte finishes are really popular, so I think it was ahead of its time in that respect.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Owned the og, the deps zdv and tried the R. The ZDV felt like one of the most solid reels i've ever held.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:38 am

IMO the J Dream and original HLC are the best variants - and the Type R I suppose as well, although it's kind of like the school yard bully lol. The J dream has a 14g spool and can pretty much throw anything, no SV required, and the HLC is 15g with heavier springs and ezcels at heavy baits.

The Limited and 50th are a little different, the LTD has an 18g spool while the 50th has the same spool as the OG (21g) but with 50th markings...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:53 am

Cabelas had a limited edition one that is nice. Hard to find.
<")))><{

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Cabelas had a limited edition one that is nice. Hard to find.
Cabelas 50th is essentially a 50th Zillion but 6.3 instead of 7.1, with gold/green color scheme and Cabelas branding on the sideplate. Both 50th models have increased bearing count (11+1 vs 6+1) over the OG Zillion. Spools is the same as OG, 21g in both but different colors (silver and gold). Also, like the Red model 50th, only made for one year, not too many out there of either.