Steez A spool options?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez A spool options?

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:40 pm

I have a Steez A spool in a SV TW and it casts pretty sweet to me . Great control and bombs boast out there with ease .

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:50 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I have a Steez A spool in a SV TW and it casts pretty sweet to me . Great control and bombs boast out there with ease .
Interesting, I though this wasn't possible - ie it would only work the other way around. Good to hear it's working well for you. I threw the Zillion SV G1 spools in the A's this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised - I was worried about the line capacity of the SV spools, but as it turns out I just don't put any backing on (I usually lay down some mono first when spooling fluoro due to cost) and I haven't seen any issues.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am

78Staff wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:I have a steez sv tw and have tried a handful of spools in it. I’m sure I’ll be alone in what I have to say but these are my findings based on what I throw. Which is usually 1/4 - 3/4oz baits. Testing was done with 8-14 gram baits.

Stock steez sv tw 1016 G1 (what came with it)
Stock steez sv tw 1012 G1 (bought to try)
Stock zillion sv 1016 G1 (have extras)
Zpi NRC-001 PG (bought for this reel)
Zpi NRC-001 M (bought after the pg)

Both stock steez spools did not impress me at all. I actually felt a little let down by them. Distance was decent but it wasn’t super controlled. The ZPI PG spool is not a good performer in the reel either. Less distance and control over the stock spools. Again, let down because in a TDZ it’s amazing! For the money the zillion sv 1016 G1 is a good spool. Better distance and control over the stock steez spools. I then picked up a ZPI M spool and I was leary due to my previous experience with the PG spool in that reel. What a great surprise though. The M is great in a steez sv tw. Plenty of distance and is also very controlled. Money wise the zillion spool is the best buy at $70 vs $130 for the ZPI M. They both have good distance and control. I know the line capacity rating is different since it’s a Japanese product, but with #12 big game and a 1/2oz bladed jig I was able to hit my spool knot on the M spool.
I picked up a few of these Zillion SV G1 spools to try in my 8.1 Steez A's on my pitching rods - It does have less line capacity - 14/100 I think is the rating, I'm using 20lb Tatsu on one combo so will have to see if it will hold enough line - pitching it should be fine but I also use this particular rig for Carolina Rigs, so it may be close. I could switch to a braid mainline I suppose.
I did wind up changing one setup around - the Carolina rig 873CRR - I put the standard Steez A spool back in - didn't really need SV on that setup and gained back a bit of line capacity as well. So I'm running the Zillion SV G1's in my 894, 893, and 854 - basically my pitching and skipping setups.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:00 am

Has anyone used a Steez A spool in a Zillion SV TW (old model)? I'd like to pick up another Zillion spool for my Steez A, but the reels aren't that much more than the spools at this point. I'd use the Steez A spool in the Zillion for heavier baits - 1/2 oz +.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:06 am

78Staff wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:30 pm
Rippin-lips wrote:I have a steez sv tw and have tried a handful of spools in it. I’m sure I’ll be alone in what I have to say but these are my findings based on what I throw. Which is usually 1/4 - 3/4oz baits. Testing was done with 8-14 gram baits.

Stock steez sv tw 1016 G1 (what came with it)
Stock steez sv tw 1012 G1 (bought to try)
Stock zillion sv 1016 G1 (have extras)
Zpi NRC-001 PG (bought for this reel)
Zpi NRC-001 M (bought after the pg)

Both stock steez spools did not impress me at all. I actually felt a little let down by them. Distance was decent but it wasn’t super controlled. The ZPI PG spool is not a good performer in the reel either. Less distance and control over the stock spools. Again, let down because in a TDZ it’s amazing! For the money the zillion sv 1016 G1 is a good spool. Better distance and control over the stock steez spools. I then picked up a ZPI M spool and I was leary due to my previous experience with the PG spool in that reel. What a great surprise though. The M is great in a steez sv tw. Plenty of distance and is also very controlled. Money wise the zillion spool is the best buy at $70 vs $130 for the ZPI M. They both have good distance and control. I know the line capacity rating is different since it’s a Japanese product, but with #12 big game and a 1/2oz bladed jig I was able to hit my spool knot on the M spool.
I picked up a few of these Zillion SV G1 spools to try in my 8.1 Steez A's on my pitching rods - It does have less line capacity - 14/100 I think is the rating, I'm using 20lb Tatsu on one combo so will have to see if it will hold enough line - pitching it should be fine but I also use this particular rig for Carolina Rigs, so it may be close. I could switch to a braid mainline I suppose.
I have RCS G1 spools and I wonder what's the difference in those compared to the ones you listed.. they are phenomenal in just about everything I put them in..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible