CQ51 thumb bar problem

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

CQ51 thumb bar problem

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:59 pm

My CQ51 thumb bar has become a little stiff, I took the side plate off and had a little look and flushed the area with meths and oiled it, quite a lot of black/grey stuff was flushed out. Took it fishing and it was only marginally better. I didn't fancy taking the thumb bar assembly apart as there are lots of little C clips (my nemesis!) to lose. Any tips what I might find and what to do once I do have it apart?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: CQ51 thumb bar problem

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 am

It just needs to be properly serviced I'm sure. First thing I did with mine (or any used reel I buy) is take it apart and properly clean it and lube it. They are a butter of a reel, and doo much fun to fish with light applications.
<")))><{

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:07 pm

I ended up being brave and stripping it down. Cleaned, lubed and re-assembled. Much better now, no clips lost and only one minor assembly error that was easily corrected. :lol: The chrome plating on the thumb bar where it makes contact with the gearbox has been worn away, so I expect it will get sticky again and I'll need to replace it, but for the moment it's perfectly useable again.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:I ended up being brave and stripping it down. Cleaned, lubed and re-assembled. Much better now, no clips lost and only one minor assembly error that was easily corrected. :lol: The chrome plating on the thumb bar where it makes contact with the gearbox has been worn away, so I expect it will get sticky again and I'll need to replace it, but for the moment it's perfectly useable again.
Usually put a thin film of grease on the sides of the thumb bar to help with that.
<")))><{

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Done and done \:D/ \:D/