Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:41 pm

So I have never been a fan of the TWS system on the Daiwas. As a die hard TD Zillion/TDZ fan, its hard to really get into the TWS. Many have been telling me that you dont know what you are missing with it. I have played with the OG Tats, CTs, and Zillion TWS reels. Still, some keep telling me that the Zillion SV TW is a different animal. OK, so I bit the bullet, and found a really good deal on a new one. So lets see how it stacks up to my TD Zillion with gold PE spool, and my SV103XS with RCS SV105 spool. Should I expect this reel to act more like a "skipping" SV type reel where its braked pretty hard, or will it be more like my SV103 and TD where its a casting machine? Or maybe somewhere in the middle like a happy medium?

Those of you that have them, Im curious as to what you thought of the reel compared to other Daiwas you own. Also, what do you use yours for? Down here, its gonna get spooled with 50lb braid and put to work.
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:So I have never been a fan of the TWS system on the Daiwas. As a die hard TD Zillion/TDZ fan, its hard to really get into the TWS. Many have been telling me that you dont know what you are missing with it. I have played with the OG Tats, CTs, and Zillion TWS reels. Still, some keep telling me that the Zillion SV TW is a different animal. OK, so I bit the bullet, and found a really good deal on a new one. So lets see how it stacks up to my TD Zillion with gold PE spool, and my SV103XS with RCS SV105 spool. Should I expect this reel to act more like a "skipping" SV type reel where its braked pretty hard, or will it be more like my SV103 and TD where its a casting machine? Or maybe somewhere in the middle like a happy medium?

Those of you that have them, Im curious as to what you thought of the reel compared to other Daiwas you own. Also, what do you use yours for? Down here, its gonna get spooled with 50lb braid and put to work.
It should cast further than SV103 with stock spools by all accounts. The spool in the Zillion SV TW was a popular upgrade to SV103 and other reels. Platform wise the SV103 is actually a Zillion and the other "Zillion" is some weird Tatula thing so I wouldn't expect too much from it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 pm

As far as I'm concerned, that reel is the best reel ever made. It is my favorite by far, and I wouldn't trade it for any Zillion, Alphas, or Steez out there, except maybe to flip it and buy two more.
This is the way.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a P model and I use it pretty much exclusively to bomb spybaits. I changed the spool to an RCS 1012 SV and I can cast my spybait every bit as far with my GLX 852c as my buddy casting the same thing with a GLX 852s and a Sustain 2500.

To be honest at first I couldn't really tell the difference between the Zillion SV TW and a Tat SV but as I've used the reel more, I've come to like it a lot. Come spring I plan on putting in the original 1016 SV spool with some heavier line and will use it for squarebills and crankbaits.

Can't say I've tried skipping with it. I can't skip my Steez SV TWs worth beans but I have no issues skipping with a Tat SV or a stock SV103. I suspect the Zillion SV TW would be closer to the Steez SV TW.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 pm

I use mine for big swim jigs and chatterbaits now, but I originally used it for flukes and senkos. It handles both equally well. I get good distance with it, but I've never tried skipping with it, because those duties go to an Alphas SV.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm

poisonokie wrote:As far as I'm concerned, that reel is the best reel ever made. It is my favorite by far, and I wouldn't trade it for any Zillion, Alphas, or Steez out there, except maybe to flip it and buy two more.
100% agree.

I throw everything with the sv tv just like I did (still do) OG zillions plus lighter stuff. With a direct tailwind of about 10mph, I can cast farther with OG than sv tv with breaks set low on OG. In every other situation, which is most of the time the sv tv is much more effortless, effective, and reliable for making every cast in my personal wheelhouse. I definitely make more casts with the sv tv per session than with the OG because I’m more effective and spend less time messing around. Also, “dailing” it in between lure weight and line types is a breeze. Might not appeal to folks because of looks or refinement compared to an OG type r or j dream. I agree. But, it’s simply a better all conditions caster than the OGs.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm

The Zillion TW arrived in the mail today. Not bad considering I ordered it Sunday night, and shipped Monday. Im like the color of it. Feels pretty light in the hand, and I cant wait to see what this thing will do later.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 pm

You won't want to put it down. I use one of mine, a 6.3:1, with 12# fluoro on a 6'10" MHF that I use for 3.8" keitechs with two 1/32 nail weights on a 3/0 hook more than anything and it casts the hell out of those even without the nail weights and is very smooth and connected on the retrieve. I almost never miss a bite and a hook-up with that setup. The drag is smooth and strong too, and has brought some big fence pandas to bear no problem.
The other is a 7.3:1 with 15# fluoro on a 7'1" MHXF for 3/16-3/8 t-rigs and jigs and it excels just as well. With both, I just set the spool tension to eliminate spool play and use the brake dial exclusively for adjustments. I keep that dial fairly low, too, even casting into the wind and hardly ever get anything close to a backlash. If I do backlash with them, it's almost always due to user error. I love the light weight and ergonomics of them and find them to be truly unsurpassed in terms of performance and usability when fishing typical bass baits. I haven't tried them with braid or for frogging or anything like that, but I wouldn't hesitate to. The distance with such a setup may be somewhat choked off compared to a reel with magforce Z, but not much is practical terms, and the lack line trouble would probably make up the difference. I don't know, you'll just have to tell us what you think. Tight lines.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 pm

I spooled it up with some 50lb Power Pro Maxcuatro braid. Took it out back and tossed a 3/8oz jig that I use with the hook snipped off (local cats love to play). Damn, just damn. This could be bad for me. Looks like this reel could have me by the balls. I really like the casting, smooth retrieve, and feel of it. Amazingly it stood out compared to the Tatula variations. Im gonnatry it out on my next Sunday venture with either a 1/8 or 1/4oz weight, and some T rigged plastics in some vegetation to see how it performs on the water. Might even take it to work tomorrow and toss it around during lunch. Lol.
<")))><{

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 am

Add the extra worm gear bearing to it. They're the same size as the handle bearings. There was a noticeable difference in the retrieve to me. I just bought a gold ZPI PG spool to put in the ZSVTW, so I can throw the 1016SV spool in my SS SV. Overall one of the best daiwa TW reels. The shape or style of the line guide never bothered me. It palms good, smooth retrieve, and it is a very good all around reel. I use 14lb sniper on mine for 1/4-3/4 cranks around cover.
Dom

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 am

SV Zillion is very nice reel. It's ergonimically best of mine reels and it palms perfectly to my hand. Spool is precisely in correct position in my opinion (not too high nor too low). Retrieving is smooth. Casting is nice. There are plenty of spool alternations. I have used mostly DIY aftermarket spools for finesse casting. SV Zillions original spool is spooled with 0.30 mm Trabucco SuperCast mono. With that line SV Zillion my SV Zillion is used for seatrout in icing conditions. SV Zillion is not too cold for hands in icing conditions. I’m still waiting my Steez 103 spool to delivery. If that works well then SV Zillion might be mine first choise for seatrout. I love versatility of my SV Zillion because of amount of available spools.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:21 am

Big fan of the Zillion SV TW here. Bought a second as soon as I tried the first. I haven't added the worm gear upgrade yet, but I could tell a difference versus the Tatula SV. The Tatula SV was a little more choked off on bigger baits, even a bit more than that with lighter baits, and a moderate difference in retrieve/cranking power. Also to me the Zillion SV just flat out feels better when turning the handle, casting, etc. and concerning sounds. Not to mention it offers 1016 compatibility that opens the door for plenty of upgrades.

I use both of mine on 7' Medium Villain 2.0 rods with 10 and 12 pound fluorocarbon (cheap braid backing to further lighten the spool) for primarily 3.3" Keitechs and other small plastics. I still have no problem with the stock spools though casting 1/8 heads with a 2.8" Keitech.
I recently bought a Steez A that took the place of one of the Zillion SV TW's so the Zillion ended up on MH rod. It casts pretty well for distance too with bigger lures and is a great short pitching/skipping reel. I have enjoyed these reels equally for finesse as I have MH duties. Not sure how they fair with heavy jigs though and larger swimbaits/rigs, I have used the older style Tatula/Zillion variants for these due to the greater line capacity and the fact that finesse fishing is my primary joy.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Took the reel to work today to play with at lunch. Mounted it on a 7ft MH MF St Croix Mojo Bass Gen 2 rod (they are actually quite amazing rods for the money). Was casting with the 50lb Maxcuatro braid, a 1/4oz tungsten weight, and a Zoom 6" lizard. Im very happy with the casting and control of this reel. Soo much, that I am able to look past the T wing system of the reel. Ill be the first to admit that I have denied this reel as long as possible loving the TD varieties soo much, that Im kinda glad I took the plunge on one. I have a TD Zillion with the gold PE spool and 50lb braid for my swimjigs, a SV103XS with SV105 RCS spool and 40lb braid that I use to burn swimbaits, a TDZ with a Type R spool and 12lb mono for my fun rig with light T rigs, and now this Zillion SV TW with 50lb Maxcuatro for heavier T rigs. I usually purchas a backup for reels I really like, and I may have to wait till I find an even better deal than I found on this one to get a backup. Hopefully next weekend I can get out for some time on the water in the boat to test it out in Loxahatchee. Thats a vast area of grass, hydrilla, sawgrass, and lilly pads. I should be able to spend the day with this one rig tossing baits to put it through a good variety.
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:17 pm

You could also put the Zillion SV TW spool in your SV103 to see how it performs in a TD Zillion 103 reel.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:24 pm

LowRange wrote:You could also put the Zillion SV TW spool in your SV103 to see how it performs in a TD Zillion 103 reel.
I did this and then woke up a year later with a full beard, a room full of rods and reels, and a lot less money in the bank.