Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:54 pm

LowRange wrote:You could also put the Zillion SV TW spool in your SV103 to see how it performs in a TD Zillion 103 reel.
Nah. That purple Steeze 105 spool is too perfect in that SV103XS. Lol. Ill stay with the stock spool on the SV TW.
<")))><{

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 am

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote:You could also put the Zillion SV TW spool in your SV103 to see how it performs in a TD Zillion 103 reel.
I did this and then woke up a year later with a full beard, a room full of rods and reels, and a lot less money in the bank.
=D> :lol:

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Nah. That purple Steeze 105 spool is too perfect in that SV103XS. Lol. Ill stay with the stock spool on the SV TW.
Recently picked up a purple 105 spool. Was thinking of putting it in one of my SV103s. I may put in in the H so the gold and purple match my Gen 1 XX Diablo Spec-R or SS. Believe it or not, I ordered them months ago and they haven't left the cardboard shipping rod tube yet.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:22 am

Houndfish wrote:
I did this and then woke up a year later with a full beard, a room full of rods and reels, and a lot less money in the bank.
From Fisher to hipster after one year :lol:

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am

I just picked a Steez 103 spool from post office. I'm going to test it with SV Zillion. Plan is to convert SV Zillion to distance caster with this spool using 3/4 oz ... 1 oz lures. And if that works well but if Magforce of it still seems limiting my creativity by letting inductor out too long time => install HLC spring to it. let's see what happens when I have time to test.
Attachments
Steez 103.JPG
Steez 103.JPG (192.67 KiB) Viewed 10059 times

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am

jvelth74 wrote:I just picked a Steez 103 spool from post office. I'm going to test it with SV Zillion. Plan is to convert SV Zillion to distance caster with this spool using 3/4 oz ... 1 oz lures. And if that works well but if Magforce of it still seems limiting my creativity by letting inductor out too long time => install HLC spring to it. let's see what happens when I have time to test.
That Steez spool has the R+ inductor and spring combo. HLC spring isn’t going to change it any. Both springs are pretty much the same from a casting standpoint. At least when installed on a sv spool.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 am

Rippin-lips wrote:That Steez spool has the R+ inductor and spring combo. HLC spring isn’t going to change it any. Both springs are pretty much the same from a casting standpoint. At least when installed on a sv spool.

OK - That's possible. But when I pulled this R+ inductor by fingers it felt much softer than HLC inductor felt. Maybe I make some measurements with Pesola scale :) .

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am

It would be nice to know if the spring rates are indeed different. I was always under the impression they were about the same from what I’ve read from user experience. I know on my sv spools they acted the same when casting. Both on zillion sv 1016 spools and in the same reel. It could also be the braking of the reel doing it. SV103’s are know to have a strong magnetic force.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote: From Fisher to hipster after one year :lol:
Literally true I am afraid.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote: From Fisher to hipster after one year :lol:
Literally true I am afraid.

Too much curve on the hat bill to be a hipster. :lol:
<")))><{

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Measurements are done and results are interesting at least in my opinion. (It’s clear that this is not accurate as science but still results are obvious). There’s no same spring in (my) Steez 103 spool vs. (my) OG HLC Zillion.

Test arrangement was following: To tie lines to movable inductors with so little friction as possible and so balanced as possible. Because there’s still friction, I firstly pulled inductor to max out and take measurement and then lightening tension until inductor moved again and then I took average. And then repeated procedure needed times. And in addition to that I scaled also weight of spools, just because those were conveniently tied to lines. Scale was my faithful Pesola, bought a long time ago.

Ray’s ‘DIY’ Finesse spool: Inductor to max: 14 g (spool weight incl. line 13,2 g.)

SV Zillion original spool: Inductor to max: 18 g (spool weight incl. line 20 g, without my reading glasses, because it wasn’t so important)

Steez 103 spool: Inductor to max: 30 g (spool weight without line 14 g.)

HLC: This was different story…Inductor didn’t even move less than 47 g. And my Pesola ends to 60 g, because when I bought this scale -I was in University then- I couldn’t never ever even imagine that I will scale with my Pesola more than 60 g single piece…And it was clear that full movement of HLC inductor is way more than capacity of my Pesola. Because of that I must made some engineering arrangement of weights and make same calculations. But result was that full movement of (my) OG HLC Zillion was needed 124 g. (Spool weight with line was 26,7 g.)

…Yeh, it’s possibly that there’s not original HLC Spiring in my original HLC Zillion but there’s some yber-hyper-super-turbo spring and therefore it’s impossible to cast for normal person whether hi is familiar with tricky reels or not. (I bought it as used reel and I don't know history of it. But it's nice reel with amazing retrieve and it's as well amazingly tricky to cast.)

But I just measured what's needed load to fully pull out inductor of (my) Daiwa reels with moving spring loaded inductor…

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:12 pm

jvelth74 wrote:Measurements are done and results are interesting at least in my opinion. (It’s clear that this is not accurate as science but still results are obvious). There’s no same spring in (my) Steez 103 spool vs. (my) OG HLC Zillion.

Test arrangement was following: To tie lines to movable inductors with so little friction as possible and so balanced as possible. Because there’s still friction, I firstly pulled inductor to max out and take measurement and then lightening tension until inductor moved again and then I took average. And then repeated procedure needed times. And in addition to that I scaled also weight of spools, just because those were conveniently tied to lines. Scale was my faithful Pesola, bought a long time ago.

Ray’s ‘DIY’ Finesse spool: Inductor to max: 14 g (spool weight incl. line 13,2 g.)

SV Zillion original spool: Inductor to max: 18 g (spool weight incl. line 20 g, without my reading glasses, because it wasn’t so important)

HLC: This was different story…Inductor didn’t even move less than 47 g. And my Pesola ends to 60 g, because when I bought this scale -I was in University then- I couldn’t never ever even imagine that I will scale with my Pesola more than 60 g single piece…And it was clear that full movement of HLC inductor is way more than capacity of my Pesola. Because of that I must made some engineering arrangement of weights and make same calculations. But result was that full movement of (my) OG HLC Zillion was needed 124 g. (Spool weight with line was 26,7 g.)

…Yeh, it’s possibly that there’s not original HLC Spiring in my original HLC Zillion but there’s some yber-hyper-super-turbo spring and therefore it’s impossible to cast for normal person whether hi is familiar with tricky reels or not. (I bought it as used reel and I don't know history of it. But it's nice reel with amazing retrieve and it's as well amazingly tricky to cast.)

But I just measured what's needed load to fully pull out inductor of (my) Daiwa reels with moving spring loaded inductor…
That sounds indicative of something being wrong with the Magforce Z of that spool. I would disassemble the Magforce Z mechanism and do a visual inspection and order a replacement HLC spring or send it in to a tuner to have them work on it. The wild nature in which you describe the spool's breaking profile and the stiffness of the spring are all red flags IMO. It sounds like you have enough familiarity with BC reels to know that this is beyond an HLC just being an HLC.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 pm

jvelth74 wrote:Measurements are done and results are interesting at least in my opinion. (It’s clear that this is not accurate as science but still results are obvious). There’s no same spring in (my) Steez 103 spool vs. (my) OG HLC Zillion.

The spring in HLC is 4x stronger than in normal TD Zillion spool: https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 01338.html

So using your results: 124/4=31g and this is the result you’ve got with Steez 103 spool. I guess normal TD Zillion spool has the same spring as Steez 103.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:23 am

I took the reel out for a little time on the water last night. I was sitting on the patio looking at the sky, and the moon was bright with clear skies. I figured, why not get the boat, take this one reel with me, and have a little night fun to see what the reel is capable of for tricky control during low visibility. What a good time I had with it. Casting, pitching, skipping. This reel did it all, and with authority. Caught a few bass, and just enjoyed the easement of using the reel.
<")))><{

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:05 am

[quote="LgMouthGambler"]I took the reel out for a little time on the water last night. I was sitting on the patio looking at the sky, and the moon was bright with clear skies. I figured, why not get the boat, take this one reel with me, and have a little night fun to see what the reel is capable of for tricky control during low visibility. What a good time I had with it. Casting, pitching, skipping. This reel did it all, and with authority. Caught a few bass, and just enjoyed the easement of using the reel.[/quote

Sweet. I go out primarily in low light or just flat dark. Those conditions made me fall in love with the ease.