Has anyone used the Airy Red spool inductor on other spools?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Has anyone used the Airy Red spool inductor on other spools?

Post by SSS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 am

Been thinking of finding myself a used Airy Red spool to steal its inductor and use it on a 34mm platform spool. Has anyone done this? I've seen plenty of people using the steez103/tdz type r+ inductors on other spools, but never seen anyone use the R+ inductor from the Airy Red, which is most likely my all time fav spool. :-k

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Has anyone used the Airy Red spool inductor on other spools?

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 pm

The inductor itself is very similar to the Ray's inductor. The Ray's is an Air Brake clone and the Airy Red is Magforce V but the Airy Red must have serverd as the inspiration for the Ray's inductor because they are practically identical. If inductors from Air Brake spools can be fitted to Magforce V then the Ray's inductor may be an easier option due to the scarcity of Airy Red spools. The Airy Red spool has an interesting braking profile. When casting the inductor protrudes enough to control the spool but when pitching the inductor stays seated and only the thin tapered edge is in the mag field and the spool is very fast. I swear I get way more RPM out if it in a gentle pitch than in a hard cast. Phenomenal little finesse pitching machine when paired to a Volkey 68L BFS.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 pm

LowRange wrote:The inductor itself is very similar to the Ray's inductor. The Ray's is an Air Brake clone and the Airy Red is Magforce V but the Airy Red must have serverd as the inspiration for the Ray's inductor because they are practically identical. If inductors from Air Brake spools can be fitted to Magforce V then the Ray's inductor may be an easier option due to the scarcity of Airy Red spools. The Airy Red spool has an interesting braking profile. When casting the inductor protrudes enough to control the spool but when pitching the inductor stays seated and only the thin tapered edge is in the mag field and the spool is very fast. I swear I get way more RPM out if it in a gentle pitch than in a hard cast. Phenomenal little finesse pitching machine when paired to a Volkey 68L BFS.
I have tested multiple Ray's spools, they don't feel as free as the Airy Red spool. I don't know what is it with the Airy Red spool, but it also feels "free'ier" than other R+ spools i've tested. That's why i'm kinda intested in trying this inductor on a slp1010 or the rcs1016 spool (if that's even feasible)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 pm

SSS wrote:
LowRange wrote:The inductor itself is very similar to the Ray's inductor. The Ray's is an Air Brake clone and the Airy Red is Magforce V but the Airy Red must have serverd as the inspiration for the Ray's inductor because they are practically identical. If inductors from Air Brake spools can be fitted to Magforce V then the Ray's inductor may be an easier option due to the scarcity of Airy Red spools. The Airy Red spool has an interesting braking profile. When casting the inductor protrudes enough to control the spool but when pitching the inductor stays seated and only the thin tapered edge is in the mag field and the spool is very fast. I swear I get way more RPM out if it in a gentle pitch than in a hard cast. Phenomenal little finesse pitching machine when paired to a Volkey 68L BFS.
I have tested multiple Ray's spools, they don't feel as free as the Airy Red spool. I don't know what is it with the Airy Red spool, but it also feels "free'ier" than other R+ spools i've tested. That's why i'm kinda intested in trying this inductor on a slp1010 or the rcs1016 spool (if that's even feasible)

The difference is likely the Air Brake vs the Magforce V when comparing thr Airy Red to a Ray's. The iductors are very similar between the two but their operation is completely different. Air Brake spools are more willing to stick the inductor out sooner and brake more than the Magforce V/Z spools. The operating mechanism is attached to the spool differently between the Air Brake and Magforce V/Z spools so I would think Ray's would only be compatible with other Air Brake spools and the Airy Red only compatible with other Magforce V or maybe Magforce Z spools. If you can confirm the compatibility of inductors from Magforce V spools to Magforce Z then the swap should work. A stiffer spring on the Ray's inductor might also produce similar results to an Airy Red spool too. Just something to consider. Keep us posted on your findings from this experiment. I like this kind of stuff.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:49 am

borrowed the airy red spool from a friend. tried to install the inductor on the black (t3) and also the silver (ryoga1016) rcs1016 spools, it didn't work. the R+ inductor is too large to lit in. Then i thought of installing the inductor on the r+ steez103 spool, but the inductors are exactly the same, even the spring is of the same softness.

So i think that if you want an r+ inductor on your spool, it must be the V shapped spools (Mag V), it won't work on Mag Z's. Since there's no R+ Alphas spools that im aware of, think i'll try the airy red inductor on alphas ito spool to see if there's any difference.