Zillion SV spools compatible with Zillion TWS Reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Miagi3
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Zillion SV spools compatible with Zillion TWS Reels?

Post by Miagi3 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am

Hello there tackle junkies,

This is my 1st post on this forum and I know there are some real experts on this subject on here. I own a bunch of pre SV Daiwa Zillions (TWS Models) I've upgraded all the bearings to BOCA orange already but was wondering if the the new SV spools will work in the prior generation of Zillion's. I see that ZPI and other manufacturers are making SV spools for the Zillion SV models. I figured if anyone would know this was the place to ask. Any info or advice is certainly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Mike B. :D

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Zillion SV spools compatible with Zillion TWS Reels?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:28 pm

They will fit into the OG Zillion, but there is a gap around the edge of the spool. Zillion spools are 36mm and the new Zillion SV spools are 34mm. There are spacers out there made by ZPI, but they are rare and expensive. Another option is to have spacers milled, if you know a good machinist. Last and easiest option is to by a Ray's DIY spool, which has the same SV-style rotor function and is 36mm, so it drops right into the OG Zillion. The downside is the low line capacity, which isn't an issue if you use lighter braid. Only gold and gunmetal colors left, though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-TD- ... autifyAB=0
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:They will fit into the OG Zillion, but there is a gap around the edge of the spool. Zillion spools ae 36mm and the new Zillion SV spools are 34mm. There are spacers out there made by ZPI, but they are rare and expensive. Another option is to have spacers milled, if you know a good machinist. Last and easiest option is to by a Ray's DIY spool, which has the same SV-style rotor function and is 36mm, so it drops right into the OG Zillion. The downside is the low line capacity, which isn't an issue if you use lighter braid. Only gold and gunmetal colors left, though.
Are the TWS spools the same size as the OG Zillion?

I remember looking into spool options for my TWS and there were limited choices. I am looking to get a Ray's DIY shallow spool for flipping/punching.

Welcome to the forums and if you are looking to learn about tackle, there is no better place.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm

No, not at all. The TWS spools are a few mm wider and 2mm taller.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:They will fit into the OG Zillion, but there is a gap around the edge of the spool. Zillion spools are 36mm and the new Zillion SV spools are 34mm. There are spacers out there made by ZPI, but they are rare and expensive. Another option is to have spacers milled, if you know a good machinist. Last and easiest option is to by a Ray's DIY spool, which has the same SV-style rotor function and is 36mm, so it drops right into the OG Zillion. The downside is the low line capacity, which isn't an issue if you use lighter braid. Only gold and gunmetal colors left, though.
I completely missed the TWS part! :doh: :doh: :doh: Well, let me start over. To the OP, ignore everything I said before, since I thought you were talking about the Zillion SV TW. There is a Ray's spool that will fit the Zillion TWS (1516) reels, but it seems to be sold out, at least on Aliexpress. There was a deeper spool to fit, but I cant locate it now. Ebay has the shallow BFS spool here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAYs-STUDIO-Da ... rk:18:pf:0
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:04 am

Ray's deep model is more or less sold out. Also I have been seeking for those to buy. Ray's shallow is OK, but it have low line capacity and that is not that light spool (for thinnest lines and lightest lures). 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stealh Smooth would be good line for this spool but there is not actually capacity for it.
hoohoorjoo wrote:There are spacers out there made by ZPI, but they are rare and expensive.
I’m interested for buying such spacers for OG Zillion. But it looks like those are not for sale anymore. Seeking second hand seems being only choise.

Miagi3
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Miagi3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:57 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:They will fit into the OG Zillion, but there is a gap around the edge of the spool. Zillion spools are 36mm and the new Zillion SV spools are 34mm. There are spacers out there made by ZPI, but they are rare and expensive. Another option is to have spacers milled, if you know a good machinist. Last and easiest option is to by a Ray's DIY spool, which has the same SV-style rotor function and is 36mm, so it drops right into the OG Zillion. The downside is the low line capacity, which isn't an issue if you use lighter braid. Only gold and gunmetal colors left, though.
Thanks for the information on this. I went ahead and purchased the last of the Ray's gunmetal spools. This looks like a great option and line capacity shouldn't be an issue for what I will use them for.

Mike

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:59 am

jvelth74 wrote:Ray's deep model is more or less sold out. Also I have been seeking for those to buy. Ray's shallow is OK, but it have low line capacity and that is not that light spool (for thinnest lines and lightest lures). 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stealh Smooth would be good line for this spool but there is not actually capacity for it.
hoohoorjoo wrote:There are spacers out there made by ZPI, but they are rare and expensive.
I’m interested for buying such spacers for OG Zillion. But it looks like those are not for sale anymore. Seeking second hand seems being only choise.
You looking to sell your shallow spool?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:You looking to sell your shallow spool?
Not yet, that shallow spool is not that bad. It casts light lures better than SV Zillion original spool and it takes nearly enough 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth. Just have to remember not to cast lines out. I don’t use this spool for pike or trout but if it sometimes happens that I got pike or trout that pulls lines out then I’m deserved such experience :D

Miagi3
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Miagi3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:28 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I completely missed the TWS part! :doh: :doh: :doh: Well, let me start over. To the OP, ignore everything I said before, since I thought you were talking about the Zillion SV TW. There is a Ray's spool that will fit the Zillion TWS (1516) reels, but it seems to be sold out, at least on Aliexpress. There was a deeper spool to fit, but I cant locate it now. Ebay has the shallow BFS spool here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAYs-STUDIO-Da ... rk:18:pf:0

That's ok hoohoorjoo,

I completely missed this post as well. I was able to cancel the order after i mistakenly thought the spools on Ali would work. No harm, no foul. I will check out the link you provided for the spools on ebay. Again, thanks for all your advice.

Mike

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:20 am

I really enjoy the DIY spool in the Zillion TWS too. They are still some of my strongest, sturdiest reels I own, even though I have better and more expensive reels now I really enjoy the Zillion TWS. Need to get a 2nd DIY spool for my 7.3. Only issue I had with that spool is noise and I still haven't tried better bearings to see if that would quieten it down.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:53 am

jvelth74 wrote: I’m interested for buying such spacers for OG Zillion. But it looks like those are not for sale anymore. Seeking second hand seems being only choise.
SV103 has the same parts and pieces as the OG zillion except it uses the 34mm spool capacity. Search for a used reel or see if some one can sell you the NOS frame.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 am

So there are spacers that allow a Zillion TWS to use the 1016 spool? I am lost, figured those two were not compatible without major modifications... If those parts do exist, that would be interesting. I know already all of the reels that ARE 1016 compatible, just don't know what Daiwa reels could be moderately/heavily modified to fit the 1016 spools...

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So there are spacers that allow a Zillion TWS to use the 1016 spool? I am lost, figured those two were not compatible without major modifications... If those parts do exist, that would be interesting. I know already all of the reels that ARE 1016 compatible, just don't know what Daiwa reels could be moderately/heavily modified to fit the 1016 spools...
I don't think such spacers exist for the ZLN TWS(1516) reels.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am

The spool which comes with the HLC 1514 is essentially a SV spool with a stronger spring. It's an internally ported G1 semi shallow spool that is 36mm and weights 13.9 grams. The Zillion SV TW spool and the HLC spool have a similar line capacity depending on if you are looking at the JDM version or the USDM version. Any differential would be based on the HLC's 36mm spool. It is much sturdier than a Ray's spool. I bought a Zillion TW spool from Japan tackle as an alternate for my HLC. Comparing the inductor size, width, depth, they look exactly the same, so there should be no braking issues.

You might be better off buying a HLC spool and swapping the spring. When I get around to it that is what I am doing for a alternative spool for my Daiwa Battler which also carries a 36MM spool.

Figured I would weigh a couple spool while I had them out.

34MM Steez 105 Limited SV w/8lb fluro-19grams
36MM HLC 1514 w/40# braid-22grams
36MM Zillion 1516 w/40# braid-29 grams

That swap to a lighter spring in the HLC will proboby bring it below 13 grams without line.
rsz_img_1762.jpg
rsz_img_1762.jpg (192.35 KiB) Viewed 8096 times
rsz_1img_1761.jpg
rsz_1img_1761.jpg (163.89 KiB) Viewed 8096 times
rsz_img_1759.jpg
rsz_img_1759.jpg (170.48 KiB) Viewed 8096 times