Lews

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
cubs23
Angler
Angler

Lews

Post by cubs23 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am

I was wondering why there's very little if anything on here about Lews reels. I don't personally own one, as I'm mostly Daiwa and Shimano with a few abu's thrown in, but I have some friends who really like them. Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about these reels?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lews

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 am

Doyo.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm

This site is more geared to the "enthusiast" aspect of fishing. Most of the reels that are going to be talked about are the Shimano and Daiwas. You will see the occasional "Doyo" product pop up in conversation, but its only a small percent.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 am

You will hear people on here refer to Lew's reels as Doyo variants, meaning a major manufacturer in Korea makes Lew's, Abu Garcia, BassPro, and a few others. The companies send what they want with maybe a little research and development thrown in and get reels made with their logo on them. That's why some parts interchange between those reels and/or why some features are similar. An example I have always noticed is the gap between the backside of the handle and the drag star.

Nothing wrong with Lew's though, of the Doyo varieties they are my favorite, and I still use some of their $150-200 level rods a lot.

cubs23
Angler
Angler

Post by cubs23 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 am

Learn something new every day. Thanks guys.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 am

Pretty much a mediocre reel. Nothing too innovative or ground breaking. For example nothing catered to tuning like endless spool swaps, BFS components, etc. Shimano gives you things like DC breaking technology, x-ship, silent tune, they perfected VBS breaking, etc. Daiwa with their SV spools, air brakes, rotar mods, spool swaps, classic platforms, etc. Megabass are tuned and customized Daiwa reels. Both companies also have JDM only reels. They just both appeal to the TT member because of quality, durability, tuning, looks, performance, and various upgrade options not to mention resell value.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:56 am

LOSE which is more appropriate just are cheep reels. I bought a LOSE PP1pro a Tatula and ChronarchCI4 at the same time. It took only hours til the LOSE knobs started to fall apart. Then it started making noise on cast. Then levelwind nearly falling off lead me to return the cheep thing. My tat and ci4 still going being used years later.
Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am

I basically started with Lews and the likes.. Some people are satisfied and stay there, some people get the itch to chase better and fish with higher quality tackle and move to Daiwa/Megabass & Shimano.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:48 am

Waste of money reels unless you're on a $100 budget.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:LOSE which is more appropriate just are cheep reels. I bought a LOSE PP1pro a Tatula and ChronarchCI4 at the same time. It took only hours til the LOSE knobs started to fall apart. Then it started making noise on cast. Then levelwind nearly falling off lead me to return the cheep thing. My tat and ci4 still going being used years later.
I feel bad now, thought you were being too harsh then I realized the BB1 Pro I had did a similar thing with the knobs. The coating immediately started peeling back like sunburned skin. I didn't completely hate my Lew's but it was no where nearly as tough as the original Tatula Type R I bought a year before (and still have).

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 am

I've got nothing bad to say about Lews reels, I have a few TEAM LEWS reels that have served me well. No problems over the 6 or 7 years. I have no experience with LEWS newer stuff.

Yes, I've got Curados, Zillions and all that stuff too. I pretty much have a love/hate relationship with Curados... but Zillions and Tatulas are my current fav. YMMV

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I currently have six Lews reels in my lineup. For the money they are hard to beat.
Of course I have many shimanos and use to have Daiwa as well.
And about the knobs, shimano's septon knobs will turn to gummy like tree sap in no time at all too.
I prefer the daiwa I knobs. Mainly the cork versions

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 am

I got one of the Tournament Pro with the carbon handle. Reel was great and smooth in first season of use. Second season comes and casting suffered on distance. Operation wise everything seems smooth and silent, performance wise was just showing lack thereof afterwards.

Drag clicker was made of cheap plastic and broke on first day of use. Not required for reel operation.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish