Daiwa Whisker W4000 - Drag Washers / clicker

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Whisker W4000 - Drag Washers / clicker

Post by fishing_tx » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:21 am

Since this is my first post, I thought I'd post about my first "serious" reel from my childhood.

I'm not sure how many people are familiar with these old reels, I rebuilt the reel that I used for surf fishing in North Carolina on my family vacations to the outer banks each year when I was a kid. I'm not an expert by any means, which leads to the question.

When I add one drag washer, the clicker on the inside of the spool will not engage as it rides above the contact point and the line starts to spool a little lower than the lip.

When I add two drag washers, the clicker engages, but the line spools well below the lip to the point of rediculousness.

Yes, I am missing the proper washer (I'm actually missing the spool washer, Daiwa Part No. 374-9002 and can't find one anywhere outside of purchasing a parts reel from another model that uses the same part and is more popular), but it doesn't seem any washer will set the spool to the height necessary while also allowing the clicker to operate.

Is it possible the clicker is warped over time and not where it should be? Any thoughts as to how to address this? ](*,)