Cheap and decent spinning reel recommendations?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cheap and decent spinning reel recommendations?

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:07 pm

I have Okuma Inspira 20 and Daiwa Ninja 1000. Both are kinda cheap and quite good actually. Okuma were bit tacky, but after cleaning it turned good. There are reels i borrow friends, if they haven't own fishing gear. :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Dolores wrote:Hey all,

I have two Ugly Stik's that I started out with a few years ago that have no reels at the moment. When I started taking fishing more seriously I initially spent more on my reels than my rods, and subsequently moved those reels to better rods. But I'd like to put a decent spinning reel on each of these rods just to have them ready for a friend to use, etc.

It's here my interested: Daiwa BG Spinning Reels

If you're a Daiwa owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable reels durability and how they compare to other reels you've tried.

Thanks for any replies.
The Daiwa BG reels seem pretty tough from reviews I see. They are very heavy, but seem up to the task. Nothing is wrong with searching for an older model Stradic either, I have seen some of the white FJ's for a fair deal. The new Daiwa LT series (Fuego is like $100 I think) seem to hold up so far.

easybassin
Angler
Angler

Post by easybassin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm

I just purchased a Diawa legalis 2500lt and it’s a great little reel for a budget reel!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Cheap and always gets the job done had always been Shakespeare products for me. I still got my clunky graphite Alpha's as my first bought reels a $15. When i tried something different years ago, like 20 yrs ago or something, I upgraded to a Shimano Sahara and a Diawa Regal. Both were in the $50 dollar range at that time and both showed a lot of promise. From the get go Diawa was smoother and more refined over the Shimano. After using both for one season, the Shimano held up better. After a few years, the Diawa broke apart, Shimano was clunky and binding but still kicking. That sort of put me on the path to Shimano although at that time I did buy a Stradic FG and it became my favorite $100 reel at clearance price.

So much has changed. I think cheap has become cheaper. Quality has come with higher price tag too. Midrange = hit or miss at times.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Daiwa Tournament SS series. $100, you'll pass it down to your kids. Legendary reliability AND cheap.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Hard to go wrong with pflueger president.