Daiwa SV Difference

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa SV Difference

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 am

I need a little clarification. What's the difference between the original Daiwa SS SV and the Daiwa SV 103 (shown on the Japan Lure Shop) website. Sorry if this question has already been asked. I couldn't find any info.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SV Difference

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:28 am

They are both 103 reels but with different braking profiles on the spool and different 103 spool platforms

SV103: TD Zillion platform. Beloved old butter smooth tank modified from the factory into 103 spool compatibility. The spool is less over braked compared to the SS SV but spool swaps to a less aggressive braking profiles are common. Aluminum frame and handle side plate. Brass gears. 8+ oz. Well liked and sought after.

SS SV 103: Cheaper version of the old Steez platfrom. Very aggressive braking profile so a spool swap is almost a must. Flopped on the market so used reels in great shape are cheap. Fun reel to pick up and modify and the metallic silver paint and black allen head frame screws stock look nice. Drag is very weak. Magnesium frame with Zaion handle side plate. Aluminum gears.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the SS SV was the same as the SS SV 103.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:Thanks. I wasn't sure if the SS SV was the same as the SS SV 103.
No the SS/SV and SS/SV 103 ARE the same reel. The USDM SV103 is an old Zillion body with an SV spool in it, 1016 size with a moderate braking profile. The SS/SV is a cheaper old body style Steez (Zaion/Magnesium hybrid reel) with an extremely strong breaking profile. Loved mine for short skipping, wife could even cast a 1/8 Road Runner for crappie with that stock spool. I switched it to a Steez A spool now for long bombing cranks. Both of the reels (SV103 and SS/SV 103) are 1016 sized reels but the SS/SV or SS/SV103 is much heavier on braking. The SS/SV or SS/SV103 is a JDM reel that became cheaply available on TW for a short time, the SV103 was the amazingly loved old Zillion style body with an SV spool, also it was a tank and I really wish I had bought one in the 7.9 version when they went cheap.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I was kind of surprised that Japan Lure Shop is still selling this reel for $259.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:46 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:Thanks for clearing this up for me. I was kind of surprised that Japan Lure Shop is still selling this reel for $259.

The beauty in that is you can do almost anything to it. I gave mine a Steez nose plate
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible