sv spool problems

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

sv spool problems

Post by 665 almostevil » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:40 am

I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Sv zillion spool that the brakes no longer work on. I am sure it is because that part of the spool is slipping under braking pressure . Can someone advise or point me in the right direction. thank you

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: sv spool problems

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:57 pm

could be just needs a stronger spool inductor spring. common issue

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Casting brake or drag?

If you mean the drag and you've got braid on the spool, check the braid isn't slipping on the spool. Put a dot on the lip of the spool with a marker pen and pull the braid enough to make the drag appear to slip. If the dot isn't moving, or not moving at the same rate as you're pulling line, then the braid is slipping on the spool. Take off the braid, put a couple of yards of mono on the spool, attach the braid to the mono and re-spool. Should cure the problem.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Broken inductor base. I’ve swapped a bunch of them. If you look at the spool from the bearing side, you should see two white “clips” stick through. Chances are you won’t, and that’s the issue. When those break, the entire inductor, base and all, spins on the spool.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:00 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:Broken inductor base. I’ve swapped a bunch of them. If you look at the spool from the bearing side, you should see two white “clips” stick through. Chances are you won’t, and that’s the issue. When those break, the entire inductor, base and all, spins on the spool.

yes I believe this is the problem. The cylinder does just spin on the spool. Anyone know what the fix is?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 am

Replace the inductor base.

If you’re comfortable with taking the inductor side apart, it’s pretty simple. If not, we charge $18 with return shipping to do it for you

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 am

I should be able to do it..... I would like to be able to use the reel this weekend for a tournament. So hopefully i can take a look at directions or a video and see how hard it is.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 am

I've fished these reels quite extensively, never felt this issue. Do you know when exactly it happens? The older SV spools with the black ramp/block seemed to stick when a hard backlash or stop occurred. It seems the base should break or be damaged from a similar impact. Always good to fix a problem, but even better to ensure it never happens again.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 am

665 almostevil wrote:I should be able to do it..... I would like to be able to use the reel this weekend for a tournament. So hopefully i can take a look at directions or a video and see how hard it is.
It’s pretty straight forward. The c clip is a pain, but other than that, it’s not bad.

My advice is do it inside of a gallon sized zip loc bag, in case it does go flying.

But, you just use 2 small flat blade screw drivers to pop the c clip off. Remove the washer, spring, and inductor. Use a small pick to remove the old base. Check to make sure there isn’t a washer stuck to the bottom of it. If there is, place it on the shaft, then install the new ramp. It simply snaps down in place. Then reinstall everything in reverse order.

The ramp can be found here, as a Daiwa USA does not carry them. To my knowledge, we are the only ones.
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ab8891c0d8

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:07 pm

The parts for the Zillion SV spool can be ordered separately from PLAT, I have used the Zillion SV spool ramp to cure the sticking issue on older SV spools

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:33 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:The parts for the Zillion SV spool can be ordered separately from PLAT, I have used the Zillion SV spool ramp to cure the sticking issue on older SV spools

Yes, Plat does carry them. I meant that I believe we are the only ones stateside that do.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:12 pm

I thought this thread was about a Zillion SV TW ramp (white upgraded ramp) breaking loose from the spool and spinning freely. Like the 2 little white hook tabs that connect it to the spool...

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
665 almostevil wrote:I should be able to do it..... I would like to be able to use the reel this weekend for a tournament. So hopefully i can take a look at directions or a video and see how hard it is.
It’s pretty straight forward. The c clip is a pain, but other than that, it’s not bad.

My advice is do it inside of a gallon sized zip loc bag, in case it does go flying.

But, you just use 2 small flat blade screw drivers to pop the c clip off. Remove the washer, spring, and inductor. Use a small pick to remove the old base. Check to make sure there isn’t a washer stuck to the bottom of it. If there is, place it on the shaft, then install the new ramp. It simply snaps down in place. Then reinstall everything in reverse order.

The ramp can be found here, as a Daiwa USA does not carry them. To my knowledge, we are the only ones.
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ab8891c0d8
thank you!

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:32 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I thought this thread was about a Zillion SV TW ramp (white upgraded ramp) breaking loose from the spool and spinning freely. Like the 2 little white hook tabs that connect it to the spool...
It is....

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:08 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I thought this thread was about a Zillion SV TW ramp (white upgraded ramp) breaking loose from the spool and spinning freely. Like the 2 little white hook tabs that connect it to the spool...
It is....
I am just confused as to why this happened in the first place. I understand that replacing the ramp would fix it instantly, but how do you keep it from happening again.