My first Daiwa Tatula LT 1000 New - defective?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

My first Daiwa Tatula LT 1000 New - defective?

Post by ultralight » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Just received my first spinning Daiwa Tatula LT in size 1000. Arrived today.

The reel arrived with the drag tightened very tight. So I loosened it. But the spool did not loosen as expected - it was very tight. Then I forced the spool to spin by hand for one or two revolutions (Without turning the handle) and it loosened up. But it felt 'grainy' for lack of a better word. I have owned three Daiwa Fuego 1000A, Two Daiwa Luvias 1003 and three Daiwa Presso 1003 (older vintage but still 100%) so I know what the Daiwa drag feels like. (Not to mention about a dozen more that I puchased for others.)

After I loosened the spool by spinning it, everytime I tighten the drag,it quickly gets very high drag. And then when I loosen the knob, including TAKING the knob off, the drag remains very tight until I forcibly spin it one or two revolutions. This is 100% repeatable.

Questions:

1. Does the Tatula 1000 have drags that feel 'grainy'? My other size 1003 is just silky smooth which matters as I fish 2 lbs test 90 percent of the time.

2. Presumably this is defective? Or is there something I missed about these critters?

Note that I also have four Daiwa Fuego LT in size 4000 and they are smoooth - especially at their price point.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My first Daiwa Tatula LT 1000 New - defective?

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 am

I hope that those who have the Tatula LT in the 1000 size will add their thoughts, but as the owner of a Tatula LT in the 3000 size, I'll give my reaction.

I don't recall my reel arriving with a tightened-down drag; I would have been concerned about drag washer compression if it had. It sounds to me like that is what your reel has, and I wonder whether someone returned that reel after tightening down the drag.

That the spool remains under tight drag after you take the knob off is weird.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:48 am

Unless you're doing something very peculiar, sounds like the reel's broken or not assembled properly.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks. Contacted the seller to exchange. Appreciate the comments.