daiwa reel on shimano reel seat

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
kunia13
Angler
Angler

daiwa reel on shimano reel seat

Post by kunia13 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:23 am

Someone mentioned that there are some fit issues daiwa baitcasters when mounted on shimano rods with ci4+ reel seat.
I'm particularly interested in Adrena/Expride + Steez SV fit.
Thanks

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: daiwa reel on shimano reel seat

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

kunia13 wrote:Someone mentioned that there are some fit issues daiwa baitcasters when mounted on shimano rods with ci4+ reel seat.
I'm particularly interested in Adrena/Expride + Steez SV fit.
Thanks
Not that I know of. Pretty much all low profile freshwater reels can go on any manufacturer's rod. That's why so many use the same brand and/or style of reels seats. The Ci4+ is a unique design to Shimano, but I assume if my Chronarch MGL interchanges between the same rods my Steez A does, then their similar dimensions would allow the Daiwa to fit fine on the Shimano rod. I also fish with a guy who had Daiwa reels with a few of the Zodias rods throughout his lineup.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 am

Any nicks in the reel seat from interchanging? I like to keep my gear as spotless as possible and some reel seats can be damaging to the paint on reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:25 am

Big-Bass wrote:Any nicks in the reel seat from interchanging? I like to keep my gear as spotless as possible and some reel seats can be damaging to the paint on reels.
There are slight fitment issues with Daiwas reel feet and Ci4 reel seats. It's a tight fit. Right now I have my PX68 on an 18 Poison Adrena. I've tried every Daiwa reel I have on my Expride as well. My 09 Aldebaran fits both rods like a glove, but Shimanos reel feet are slightly smaller. You won't be able to crank down the reel seat hood as far or tight with a Daiwa reel. Still works, but I'm already getting scratches on the PX68 reel foot. I would never put my custom painted Steez SV TW on either rod. My experience, ymmv

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:Any nicks in the reel seat from interchanging? I like to keep my gear as spotless as possible and some reel seats can be damaging to the paint on reels.
There are slight fitment issues with Daiwas reel feet and Ci4 reel seats. It's a tight fit. Right now I have my PX68 on an 18 Poison Adrena. I've tried every Daiwa reel I have on my Expride as well. My 09 Aldebaran fits both rods like a glove, but Shimanos reel feet are slightly smaller. You won't be able to crank down the reel seat hood as far or tight with a Daiwa reel. Still works, but I'm already getting scratches on the PX68 reel foot. I would never put my custom painted Steez SV TW on either rod. My experience, ymmv
damn. i wanted to put a steez sv tw on one of my 18 adrenas. :(

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 pm

kunia13 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
damn. i wanted to put a steez sv tw on one of my 18 adrenas. :(
It's doable. Just know that eventually the reel feet will get dinged up a bit. I actually struggled with it at 1st, because the reel seat hood won't tighten down to the point where it's flush and gapless. I try not to pay attention to it and just fish

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Never had issues with my alphas on an expride, however, I only tighten the locknut/foregrip enough to keep the reel secure and from moving. There's always a gap in the reel seat.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:42 pm

Yup, can confirm there's some annoyance with the Adrena+a daiwa reel. It also destroys the paint on the reel's foot, even when taped with tape.