Too much oil on SVS breaks??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
kunia13
Angler
Angler

Too much oil on SVS breaks??

Post by kunia13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm

I just came back from fishing and it was a backlash nightmare.
The day before I oiled the spool bearing and breaks on both my Ald mgl and Met mgl.
I ended up with 4 internal breaks on, and like 4 to 6 external in order not to backlash midcast. It's like the SVS breaks on my reels just stopped working. I was throwing wacky 5" senkos and flukes. Before my oil job, I was casting senkos with 3 internal and 2-3 external on the met and has zero issues. Spool tension is away set to minimize side to side play.
Did I overoil the breaks?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Too much oil on SVS breaks??

Post by y2k88 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Have you... tried cleaning any excess oil off and testing?

And check they are in fact in the 'on' position rather than 'off' position.

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Can only add this from Abu Ambassadeur brake oiling. Apply only a thin film. Like would be applied by oil on a cotton swab. Very light.

Karl

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm

y2k88 wrote:Have you... tried cleaning any excess oil off and testing?

And check they are in fact in the 'on' position rather than 'off' position.
they were/are on.
I did wipe some off, but it helped very little. I guess there was just too much of it - I did only put one tiny drop.
live and learn :) I really had no idea that a drop of oil would affect the breaks so much.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 am

Depends on the oil used as well. I use REM oil on my vbs & svs brake systems. The thinner visc leaves less film than thicker oils even one drop vs one drop.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Depends on the oil used as well. I use REM oil on my vbs & svs brake systems. The thinner visc leaves less film than thicker oils even one drop vs one drop.
I used the shimano batam oil. I wiped most of the oil off the break pipes and left just a thin coating.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 am

I would not put oil on my brakes unless they are too noisy to take. I don't own an SVS braked reel, but many Shimano reels of the past were famous for the brake systems making a lot of noise, yet being scary when oiled. This is another reason why magnet braking systems are a better choice. Ask a Shimano reel tuner what they suggest. A polishing may help achieve the best performance. I do know from experience with centrifugal brakes that as little oil as possible should be used if you go that route.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:34 am

I simply clean them, no oil, and I rarely even do that. Get a lot more distance this way and haven’t had any issues with my brakes. Never understood that paper from Shimano saying to do it every trip.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 am

toddmc wrote:I would not put oil on my brakes unless they are too noisy to take. I don't own an SVS braked reel, but many Shimano reels of the past were famous for the brake systems making a lot of noise, yet being scary when oiled. This is another reason why magnet braking systems are a better choice. Ask a Shimano reel tuner what they suggest. A polishing may help achieve the best performance. I do know from experience with centrifugal brakes that as little oil as possible should be used if you go that route.
I dont put oil on my vbs ring because of noise it is to make it cast a bit better. The 50E and Core50 are on the more braked side, sort of like daiwa sv systems to me, this "tuning" with oil aids in better performance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:12 am

Use a dry q-tip and remove every bit of the oil you can, on every surface you can get to, including the brake blocks themselves. That thin oil migrates everywhere when centrifugal force from the spool's rotation forces it out. Clean all those surfaces until there doesnt appear to be any oil left at all. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of oil where you didnt touch and it will spread out quickly. You might even have to repeat this process to get it all off. I have always put a tiny bit of Abu Silicote grease on those races, then wiped it almost entirely away. It stays in place better than oil, yet still quietens down the centri-brake noise. Less is more when dealing with almost any reel lubricant.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Use a dry q-tip and remove every bit of the oil you can, on every surface you can get to, including the brake blocks themselves. That thin oil migrates everywhere when centrifugal force from the spool's rotation forces it out. Clean all those surfaces until there doesnt appear to be any oil left at all. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of oil where you didnt touch and it will spread out quickly. You might even have to repeat this process to get it all off. I have always put a tiny bit of Abu Silicote grease on those races, then wiped it almost entirely away. It stays in place better than oil, yet still quietens down the centri-brake noise. Less is more when dealing with almost any reel lubricant.
I q-tiped the break pads and pipe last night, but I'm guessing I might need to do some more wiping.
Why would Shimano recommend oiling the pads and breaks every 5 outings or 1 month, especially when this 'maintenance' kills the breaks is beyond me.
That SV TW Steez is looking nicer and nicer every day. :D

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:46 pm

kunia13 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Use a dry q-tip and remove every bit of the oil you can, on every surface you can get to, including the brake blocks themselves. That thin oil migrates everywhere when centrifugal force from the spool's rotation forces it out. Clean all those surfaces until there doesnt appear to be any oil left at all. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of oil where you didnt touch and it will spread out quickly. You might even have to repeat this process to get it all off. I have always put a tiny bit of Abu Silicote grease on those races, then wiped it almost entirely away. It stays in place better than oil, yet still quietens down the centri-brake noise. Less is more when dealing with almost any reel lubricant.
I q-tiped the break pads and pipe last night, but I'm guessing I might need to do some more wiping.
Why would Shimano recommend oiling the pads and breaks every 5 outings or 1 month, especially when this 'maintenance' kills the breaks is beyond me.
That SV TW Steez is looking nicer and nicer every day. :D
I love mag brakes....centri-brakes, not so much.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

toddmc wrote:I would not put oil on my brakes unless they are too noisy to take. I don't own an SVS braked reel, but many Shimano reels of the past were famous for the brake systems making a lot of noise, yet being scary when oiled. This is another reason why magnet braking systems are a better choice. Ask a Shimano reel tuner what they suggest. A polishing may help achieve the best performance. I do know from experience with centrifugal brakes that as little oil as possible should be used if you go that route.
I wouldn't polish the brake ring, as it does the same thing as adding the oil and reduces the braking range that can be adjusted by the external dial.
I put a drop of oil on the ring every 10 or so trips when i oil the bearings and haven't encountered a problem on my met mgl.