Cranking Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby btoups » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Conquest 100.

User avatar
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:00 pm
Location: Townsville , Queensland , Australia

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby BARRAMANIAC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Steez A CC

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 am

Am I the only one who would assume a 6 speed is fine for medium to deep cranks??? I personally use a 7 and its fine occasionally to quite often. Above 7 would push it, but a 6 should be fine. The earlier mentioned Zillion TWS 5.5 is a good one because it's fast for a 5, with a big wide spool it recovers a little over 24 inches; most 6's are around 26 IPT.

User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby TommyG » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:56 am

I use the Zillion TWS 6.3 for the Fat Free Shad, 6XD, not so much for the 8XD or 10XD. The 6.3 is great for a medium diver.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 am

I'm using the Conquest 101 5.2:1 23" retrieve.

The only time I prefer a faster cranking reel is for lipless cranks.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 am

ccass wrote:12 Antares 5.6 with a custom St Croix Legend Glass


I love my LTG, got any pics of your custom?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2070
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Lake Guntersville

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby BigG » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Am I the only one who would assume a 6 speed is fine for medium to deep cranks??? I personally use a 7 and its fine occasionally to quite often. Above 7 would push it, but a 6 should be fine. The earlier mentioned Zillion TWS 5.5 is a good one because it's fast for a 5, with a big wide spool it recovers a little over 24 inches; most 6's are around 26 IPT.

I use 6.3:1 for all my cranking except deep.

User avatar
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1707
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
ccass wrote:12 Antares 5.6 with a custom St Croix Legend Glass


I love my LTG, got any pics of your custom?


It's no showroom rod. This is from my Instagram page. There is a slight filter to it. It's pink thread on the rod, spiral wrapped with a Tatula flipping rod handle inserted into the butt to make it 2 piece.

Won't let me attach. My file is 105KB and the max allowed is 300KB
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 pm

ccass wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
ccass wrote:12 Antares 5.6 with a custom St Croix Legend Glass


I love my LTG, got any pics of your custom?


It's no showroom rod. This is from my Instagram page. There is a slight filter to it. It's pink thread on the rod, spiral wrapped with a Tatula flipping rod handle inserted into the butt to make it 2 piece.

Won't let me attach. My file is 105KB and the max allowed is 300KB


Whats your instagram?
#bump_da_stump

User avatar
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1707
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:06 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
ccass wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
ccass wrote:12 Antares 5.6 with a custom St Croix Legend Glass


I love my LTG, got any pics of your custom?


It's no showroom rod. This is from my Instagram page. There is a slight filter to it. It's pink thread on the rod, spiral wrapped with a Tatula flipping rod handle inserted into the butt to make it 2 piece.

Won't let me attach. My file is 105KB and the max allowed is 300KB


Whats your instagram?
#bump_da_stump


Hobie-Wan Kenobi Fishing.

I am following you
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:14 pm

ccass wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
ccass wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
ccass wrote:12 Antares 5.6 with a custom St Croix Legend Glass


I love my LTG, got any pics of your custom?


It's no showroom rod. This is from my Instagram page. There is a slight filter to it. It's pink thread on the rod, spiral wrapped with a Tatula flipping rod handle inserted into the butt to make it 2 piece.

Won't let me attach. My file is 105KB and the max allowed is 300KB


Whats your instagram?
#bump_da_stump


Hobie-Wan Kenobi Fishing.

I am following you


Same

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby runmax08 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:58 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:Abu Revo3 SX-L(IVCB 4 conversion, with 4.6:1 Toro Winch gears) for medium. And Lews BB2 lefty with BPS Pro qualifier 4.7:1 gears for deep. OG ZLN CC as a back up with HLC spool.

Picked up a TDZ100ML and could use the Zillion HLC spool. Stuffed in CVZ203L 5.1:1 gearing, Hopefully trying this weekend.


What do you mean cvz 203 5:1 gearing stuffed?

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby wirinhar » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:37 am

Just managed to get brand new old stock Ryoga 1016 (6.3:1) for medium crank.
Cranck bait Mid.jpg
Cranck bait Mid.jpg (280.71 KiB) Viewed 1233 times


and for deep crank bait reel, I am using Ryoga 1016 CC (5.4:1) for deep crank
crank bait Heavy.jpg
crank bait Heavy.jpg (192.64 KiB) Viewed 1233 times


Hope it helps.

WW

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby jjbassnforfun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:00 pm

runmax08 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:Abu Revo3 SX-L(IVCB 4 conversion, with 4.6:1 Toro Winch gears) for medium. And Lews BB2 lefty with BPS Pro qualifier 4.7:1 gears for deep. OG ZLN CC as a back up with HLC spool.

Picked up a TDZ100ML and could use the Zillion HLC spool. Stuffed in CVZ203L 5.1:1 gearing, Hopefully trying this weekend.


What do you mean cvz 203 5:1 gearing stuffed?


With minor mods the cvz 203 left hand 5.1:1 gears fit the td z.
Last edited by jjbassnforfun on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Cranking Reel

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:37 pm

wirinhar wrote:Just managed to get brand new old stock Ryoga 1016 (6.3:1) for medium crank.
Cranck bait Mid.jpg

and for deep crank bait reel, I am using Ryoga 1016 CC (5.4:1) for deep crank
crank bait Heavy.jpg

Hope it helps.

WW


That red Ryoga is on my bucket list. Heard that model is really hard to find...


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests