Cranking Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cranking Reel

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:24 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
That red Ryoga is on my bucket list. Heard that model is really hard to find...
That is a sweet looking reel!! Too many new Abu's on my bucket list though!! ](*,)
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:03 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:Just managed to get brand new old stock Ryoga 1016 (6.3:1) for medium crank.
Cranck bait Mid.jpg

and for deep crank bait reel, I am using Ryoga 1016 CC (5.4:1) for deep crank
crank bait Heavy.jpg

Hope it helps.

WW
Not that I know, If you are lefty and you can get them easily here. Maybe they have discontinued the old model.

Just get the Red Ryoga in August.

WW

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:38 pm

wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:Just managed to get brand new old stock Ryoga 1016 (6.3:1) for medium crank.
Cranck bait Mid.jpg

crank bait Heavy.jpg

Hope it helps.

WW
Not that I know, If you are lefty and you can get them easily here. Maybe they have discontinued the old model.

WW
What Red Ryoga in August?

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:49 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Cranck bait Mid.jpg

crank bait Heavy.jpg

Hope it helps.

WW

WW
I was just saying I got my Ryoga (Red) last month and It is not hard to get at all....

Regards,
WW

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:34 am

wirinhar wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Cranck bait Mid.jpg

crank bait Heavy.jpg

Hope it helps.

WW

WW
I was just saying I got my Ryoga (Red) last month and It is not hard to get at all....

Regards,
WW
Are you in the US??? If you have the new one, if there enough of a benefit to hunt for the "red" version over the 2018 Ryoga??? Isn't one of the Ryoga variants designed with a 7 speed gear ratio for snake head fishing??? I can't even catch a 5lb'er right now, not sure why I am asking about reels this strong...

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

WW

Regards,
WW
Are you in the US??? If you have the new one, if there enough of a benefit to hunt for the "red" version over the 2018 Ryoga??? Isn't one of the Ryoga variants designed with a 7 speed gear ratio for snake head fishing??? I can't even catch a 5lb'er right now, not sure why I am asking about reels this strong...
No, I am not in US...

It is not difficult at all to find lefty in Malaysia.
I don't think you need a red Ryoga for big mouth bass and I bought the red Ryoga cause I thought I wouldn't be able to get the old model Ryoga anymore but I was lucky to find the brand New old model silver Ryoga 6.3:1.

The Red Ryoga is 7.1:1 ratio if I am not mistaken and i haven't decided to use it. Many anglers love to use high gear ratio reels but I prefer 6.3:1.

5lb giant snake-head is still a juvenile.

Hope it helps.
WW

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 pm

I’m also going to get a J Dream

Dave Paradowski
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dave Paradowski » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 am

I use the abu revo3 winch, 5.4:1. Good enough. Dave

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 pm

I will now use my Steez A 5.3 as one of 4 cranking reels
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:I will now use my Steez A 5.3 as one of 4 cranking reels
I'd like to know how the aluminum gears hold up to a high pressure situation like cranking, especially deep cranking. So far my XH feels great and I would consider lower gear ratios if I knew they'd hold tough.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 am

Is gear material really so important in our small fishing reels that suffer limited punishment? I mean, aluminium is used in many circumstances where toughness seems to be more important, e.g. From bicycles / crankset to spacecrafts.
I ask because I have never had an issue with aluminium gears...not yet at least...

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:11 pm

wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:

WW

Regards,
WW
No, I am not in US...

I don't think you need a red Ryoga for big mouth bass and I bought the red Ryoga cause I thought I wouldn't be able to get the old model Ryoga anymore but I was lucky to find the brand New old model silver Ryoga 6.3:1.

The Red Ryoga is 7.1:1 ratio if I am not mistaken and i haven't decided to use it. Many anglers love to use high gear ratio reels but I prefer 6.3:1.

Hope it helps.
WW
The Red Ryoga also uses the gearbox from a Ryoga BJ and has thicker gears and stronger drag and is quite a bit heavier than the original 1016 ryoga. have a close look and you will see the gear case side plate of the red ryoga is wider than the original.
Also the red ryoga was a Daiwa South East Asia only release.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:36 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:

Regards,
WW
No, I am not in US...

Hope it helps.
WW
The Red Ryoga also uses the gearbox from a Ryoga BJ and has thicker gears and stronger drag and is quite a bit heavier than the original 1016 ryoga. have a close look and you will see the gear case side plate of the red ryoga is wider than the original.
This is a great info and thanks so much for sharing.

anyway, Are you talking about Ryoga BJ C1012PE or C2025PE???

Thanks in advance.

WW

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 pm

wirinhar wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:

Regards,
WW
No, I am not in US...

Hope it helps.
WW
This is a great info and thanks so much for sharing.

anyway, Are you talking about Ryoga BJ C1012PE or C2025PE???

Thanks in advance.

WW
The Red Ryoga is a 1016SV, the gear box is from a 1012BJ

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Is gear material really so important in our small fishing reels that suffer limited punishment? I mean, aluminium is used in many circumstances where toughness seems to be more important, e.g. From bicycles / crankset to spacecrafts.
I ask because I have never had an issue with aluminium gears...not yet at least...
I haven't either, just seems to be a worry point and has spread to me. In fact, my SS/SV and Steez A are two of if not my 2 smoothest reels. As much as I fish (way less than I wish) I doubt even my 2 Revo spinning reels with aluminum gears will go out. Punishment is a key word, my reels see very little of that, gears could probably be plastic as many big fish as I catch.