Cranking Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cranking Reel

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Yes, I have also read about concerns with alu-gears here on TT. I get that different metals may confer a different feel/sensation when reeling in a big lure...but will aluminium gears deterioate faster than brass? Should I also worry :doh:
Thanks for your reply.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I noticed this thread went toward the higher end of the spectrum for cranking reels but I feel like chiming in a recommendation for an affordable reel. I recently purchased a Curado I PG for deep cranking and am very pleased with the performance. The price from an auction site was very reasonable too. The Zillion TWS SV reel I recently picked up could be slowed down with some Zillion TW gearing and provide the full range of Steez spool options if you are from the Daiwa camp too. I only have one weekend on that reel and it really impressed me.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I will throw in another tried-and-true bargain the 200e series Shimano variants. I was never able to get a production 5.5 geared specimen in left so I took my Scorpion xt 1501-7 and tossed in the 5.5 gears thanks to Gary and Triple T and added 95mm Avail Sti handle for added length/power and style. Great for big baits and 10xd work etc ;)

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 pm

egore1 wrote:I noticed this thread went toward the higher end of the spectrum for cranking reels but I feel like chiming in a recommendation for an affordable reel. I recently purchased a Curado I PG for deep cranking and am very pleased with the performance. The price from an auction site was very reasonable too. The Zillion TWS SV reel I recently picked up could be slowed down with some Zillion TW gearing and provide the full range of Steez spool options if you are from the Daiwa camp too. I only have one weekend on that reel and it really impressed me.
The zillion SV 1016 can be brought in low gear from Japan. The low gear and extra high are jdm options

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm

There were some Zillion TWS reels (older big one) going for under $160 new not long ago, still regret not getting a 6.3 or 5.5. The 6.3 is as fast as some 7 gear ratios because of the spool size, and the 5.5 would be almost a perfect mix of slow/fast and have enough power. I mentioned this reel earlier on I think, had a friend who bought one and really liked it for large cranks. The two Zillion TWS I still have are used for heavier lures and work great (unless using the BFS spool for topwaters).

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:06 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
egore1 wrote:I noticed this thread went toward the higher end of the spectrum for cranking reels but I feel like chiming in a recommendation for an affordable reel. I recently purchased a Curado I PG for deep cranking and am very pleased with the performance. The price from an auction site was very reasonable too. The Zillion TWS SV reel I recently picked up could be slowed down with some Zillion TW gearing and provide the full range of Steez spool options if you are from the Daiwa camp too. I only have one weekend on that reel and it really impressed me.
The zillion SV 1016 can be brought in low gear from Japan. The low gear and extra high are jdm options
Yeah, good point! The JDM market has more gear ranges for most of Daiwa's reels right now. They have a Steez A CC reel too. So many options....it's a great thing,

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:46 am

recently purchased a Curado I PG for deep cranking and am very pleased with the performance.
I have one and love it .

its too bad shimano has abandoned the cranking angler now. no 5.x ratio low profile reels available in North American anymore.

the 200i PG was the last one

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am

Hulkster wrote:
I have one and love it .

its too bad shimano has abandoned the cranking angler now. no 5.x ratio low profile reels available in North American anymore.

the 200i PG was the last one
I haven't messed with Shimano for a bit, But it still may be possible to exchange gearing from the previous reels to new.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:13 am

shimano chronarch 200E5. have also owned the curado 200e5 and curado I PG. all have worked well!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 am

DirtyD64 wrote:There were some Zillion TWS reels (older big one) going for under $160 new not long ago, still regret not getting a 6.3 or 5.5.
I've seen a 5.5 Righty on one of my low down sites that is going for $184 plus shipping (+/-$15 shipping) Cheapest NIB that I have seen recently. PM me if your interested in the link.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:There were some Zillion TWS reels (older big one) going for under $160 new not long ago, still regret not getting a 6.3 or 5.5.
I've seen a 5.5 Righty on one of my low down sites that is going for $184 plus shipping (+/-$15 shipping) Cheapest NIB that I have seen recently. PM me if your interested in the link.
I'm good. Thanks for the info though bro. I will probably just order the gear set for one of the 2 I have eventually. Right now the 9.1 has 7.3 gears and a DIY spool for topwater duty. The 7.3 is on a 7'6" MH cranking rod and does fine with those gears for now...