Concept C worth the $?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Concept C worth the $?

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:The reel arrived. Looks good except the KOREA on the bottom. The oversize knobs are great! Not co crazy about the cheap looking chrome around them and they both are fairly loose. Took them apart and no bearing at the bottom and does not seem that i can put a shim in there?
Spooled it up with 90 yards of Sufix 832 braid and took numerous cast in the field- very smooth and casts great. The side plate is a pain and changing the breaks in the field with cold fingers aint gunna happen. Set it on 2 and adjusted the clicking knob until slow drop.
Looking forward to fishing it but salmon season is still a month off so to late to return it by then if I dont like it.
Just need to find a way to tighten up those knobs for now........
Post your question on the 13Fishing forum under manufacturer support, and maybe Matt will be able to help you.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewforum.php?f=69
Sent them an email and they took care of me by sending a few shims which fixed the problem. Took it fishing and felt a occasional "thunk" which ended up being a sloppy drive shaft. Sent it in to them and they shimmed it which took care of it.
Feels nice now casting in the field but the upcoming steel head season will put it to work.
Never had this many issues with ANY new reel........
Quality and 13 Fishing dont go together in my experience. :big grin:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:The reel arrived. Looks good except the KOREA on the bottom. The oversize knobs are great! Not co crazy about the cheap looking chrome around them and they both are fairly loose. Took them apart and no bearing at the bottom and does not seem that i can put a shim in there?
Spooled it up with 90 yards of Sufix 832 braid and took numerous cast in the field- very smooth and casts great. The side plate is a pain and changing the breaks in the field with cold fingers aint gunna happen. Set it on 2 and adjusted the clicking knob until slow drop.
Looking forward to fishing it but salmon season is still a month off so to late to return it by then if I dont like it.
Post your question on the 13Fishing forum under manufacturer support, and maybe Matt will be able to help you.
Sent them an email and they took care of me by sending a few shims which fixed the problem. Took it fishing and felt a occasional "thunk" which ended up being a sloppy drive shaft. Sent it in to them and they shimmed it which took care of it.
Feels nice now casting in the field but the upcoming steel head season will put it to work.
The only 13 Fishing product I own is a Concept Z baitcaster, and it has performed flawlessly for almost a year now, plus it is a casting machine. I have not had to open it up at all for bearing maintenance in that time, but I did check to make sure the gears were greased. They were.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 pm

mark poulson wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
The only 13 Fishing product I own is a Concept Z baitcaster, and it has performed flawlessly for almost a year now, plus it is a casting machine. I have not had to open it up at all for bearing maintenance in that time, but I did check to make sure the gears were greased. They were.
Good for you but that doesnt change my experience a bit. [-(

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

I was in the same boat. Everytime I walked into the store I couldn’t help but pick it up and play with it but kept buying s different reel. Eventually I finally did it and purchased the c. I throw it on my imx pro 845c cbr. To start it feels amazing, looks amazing, palms amazing and out of the box felt super smooth. Loved the handles! But have fished it hard an entire season side by side to my tatula sv, curado k, and chronarch mgl’s! It is by far picker then my other reels. Surprisingly my tatula is pretty picky too. The concept c will cast a mile but any slight change in spool tension or brake and it’s out of control! Do I like the reel, yes. Would I get a second I doubt it as my chronarchs are a mile a head of it and my curado k for less feels more refined and less picky. My biggest complaint by far is the fact that finish after 1 season is wearing off, looks like the paint is bubbling! When I have to replace it I’ll probably get another chronarch or move my chronarch off my frog rod and get a bantam for the frog rod.

d_vowell
Angler
Angler

Post by d_vowell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:15 am

O.k., I have necro'd this thread to echo some other sentiments. I have no sold my last 13 reel. In the end, even with regular maintenance, it just felt like it was on a continued path of deterioration. Cast amazing when new, but could be fickle with wind.

Did what I should have done in the first place and replaced it with a Chronarch MGL. I'm ultimately a Daiwa guy, but have fallen in love with the Shimano MGL reels. I will not be buying any more 13 reels.

FWIW, I feel the same way about Lew's, which is probably the most popular brand in my area...they fish great when new, but even with proper maintenance, they just seem to fade out.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:37 am

Matt_3479 wrote:I was in the same boat. Everytime I walked into the store I couldn’t help but pick it up and play with it but kept buying s different reel. Eventually I finally did it and purchased the c. I throw it on my imx pro 845c cbr. To start it feels amazing, looks amazing, palms amazing and out of the box felt super smooth. Loved the handles! But have fished it hard an entire season side by side to my tatula sv, curado k, and chronarch mgl’s! It is by far picker then my other reels. Surprisingly my tatula is pretty picky too. The concept c will cast a mile but any slight change in spool tension or brake and it’s out of control! Do I like the reel, yes. Would I get a second I doubt it as my chronarchs are a mile a head of it and my curado k for less feels more refined and less picky. My biggest complaint by far is the fact that finish after 1 season is wearing off, looks like the paint is bubbling! When I have to replace it I’ll probably get another chronarch or move my chronarch off my frog rod and get a bantam for the frog rod.
Matt, my first SV spooled reel was an Alphas SV105. It backlashed more than any other reel I own even tho I felt it was over braked in the middle of the cast. A trip to Ian turned it into different animal. Now casts great. And, yes, I had watched several videos and had the reel set up they way the videos suggested which was also the way people suggested in a post I made on the reel. It is still set up the same way as before (a little spool side play & a little above halfway on the brakes) , but is so much better. If I remember correctly casting distance also improved.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:16 am

I have really tried to like the reel but find it much more temperamental than anything else i own and since life is so short I do not need to be fiddling with it. It is super smooth and casts very well but time to part ways. Still cannot find a better reel to suit my purposes than the Tat sv.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish