TRANX 300 HG Handle Play

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

TRANX 300 HG Handle Play

Post by nolegsinmiami » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 am

I switched out the handle on my Tranx 300 HG to the double paddle handle and I cant seem to get the side to side play out. If you tighten the handle nut tighter then the star drag is too tight, if you have what seems to be the correct amount tightness there is a lot of play. Could I be missing something? I have switched two other Tranx and they are all fine. Thanks for any insights.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TRANX 300 HG Handle Play

Post by a1712 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm

The only thing the handle nut does is hold the handle on. The play is from the slop in your base bearing to the retainer plate. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:56 pm

SOunds like it's not assembled properly. Tightening the nut shouldn't effect the drag.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:01 am

Tim Kelly wrote:SOunds like it's not assembled properly. Tightening the nut shouldn't effect the drag.
I agree. Is the drag star not seated properly on the shaft? Drag star should move independently of the handle slightly up or down on the drive shaft, and handle should tighten against the shaft where the threads end.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 am

The anti reverse sleeve has two ears on it that fit into the main drag plate. If you turned the reel a bit with the handle off the sleeve could have slid out. Take the handle off, drag star off and the () washers off, take the bearing out(if it has one, haven't been in that model), hold the spool from rotating and take a straight screw driver pushing the sleeve down into the reel gently. Turn the drive shaft and they will fall back into place as it comes around. That should take care of the problem.

The sleeve should go deeper into the one way bearing when they align maybe 4-5mm.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:57 am

More than likely you do not have the drag star positioned correctly on the drive shaft and square nut. Remove the handle and start over. Tighten the drag all the way down before installing the handle. You will need to hold the star down to overcome the spring pressure then install the handle.

It's easier to line up the drag star without the spring installed. Line it up and tighten it down, then remove the star and install the spring. It's a much easier process. Also don't forget the drag star seal.