Daiwa Bearing Issues

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Bearing Issues

Post by Kurt L » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 pm

I have a Steez SV 130XSL and a Steez A XSL and both reels withing the first two hours of use started intermittently to develop bearing knock, eight times per turn of the handle a knock in an otherwise butter smooth retrieve varying from barely perceptible to thump... thump... thump. I just received My Steez A Friday and within one hour of bombing 1/4 oz spoons on 8lb P-Line it was knocking, the SV fished for about two hours and it started, I switched spools and it continued so it's not a spool bearing. Are there any upgrades for the pinon bearings or fixes for this? :-k

Thanks, Kurt

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Bearing Issues

Post by TommyG » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:24 pm

I think I would check the knob brgs first. had a similar issue with a new reel, swapped handles with a known smooth one and that turned out to be the problem. bad knob brgs.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks Tommy, the handles are good i'm thinking its has to be the pinion bearings after my Steez SV dried out is was smooth again but the Steez A is supposed to have a Mag-Sealed bearing on the pinon? I was thinking it was water intrusion into the bearing but it would have to get past the spool bearing first?

Kurt

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 am

:-k Don't own a Steez, so any speculation on my part would be a guess. Good Luck!!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:53 am

Daiwa steez reels have a bearing on the spool and one in the side plate opposite the handle which is fairly easy to remove with a small screwdriver. For the spool bearing you need the tool. Bearings are pretty cheap about $40 for a pair of good ones. I personally like the ZPI bearings but there are other brands.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks Dom! I wonder if ZPI sells the pinon bearings? does anyone know what size they are without taking the reel apart first?
I switched spools and the problem continued so the spool bearings are good!

Thanks, Kurt

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 pm

I think if the number of ticks/bumps matches the gear ratio, it's usually the pinion.
(just guessing, not from experience).

Bearing is 8 ID x 12 OD x 3.5 THK

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:34 pm

y2k88 wrote:I think if the number of ticks/bumps matches the gear ratio, it's usually the pinion.
(just guessing, not from experience).

Bearing is 8 ID x 12 OD x 3.5 THK
Agreed, it definitely sounds like the gears to me. If you turn the handle one full rotation and it ticks once in the same handle position each time, it is a bad main gear. If it ticks roughly the same number of times as the first number in the gear ratio, it will be the pinion gear.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Like to see how this ends up. This would be the first issue I have heard about with either the Steez A or Steez SV TW reel's gears. I understand they are aluminum, but hell they shouldn't go bad that fast. Sometimes you get a lemon though so hopefully it is an easy fix for you.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:40 am

Im gonna put my money on the pinion bearing. Seems to be common with these new Daiwa and Shimano reels. Im sure they are using the same bearing manufacturer.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:06 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Im gonna put my money on the pinion bearing. Seems to be common with these new Daiwa and Shimano reels. Im sure they are using the same bearing manufacturer.
If the problem is intermittent, then Matt is correct. Its gotta be the pinion bearing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:05 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Im gonna put my money on the pinion bearing. Seems to be common with these new Daiwa and Shimano reels. Im sure they are using the same bearing manufacturer.
If the problem is intermittent, then Matt is correct. Its gotta be the pinion bearing.
Yep feels like it's the bearing I used a needle oilier last night and put a drop of Bantam oil on the large pinon bearing of both reels and the Knocking in the A went away... for now. I need to get both of them back on the water then I will know for sure, right now the gears in both reels are liquid smooth. I thought Micro Module gears were smooth until I tried these two, there is no comparison :shock:

Kurt

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm

What are the chances of the pinion bearing going bad on two reels bought by one customer and so quickly? Am I understanding this thread correctly? I’ve had a steez in my cart with plat forever and just hesitant to ‘cheat’ on my zillions. I’ve also not heard of this issue before.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:What are the chances of the pinion bearing going bad on two reels bought by one customer and so quickly? Am I understanding this thread correctly? I’ve had a steez in my cart with plat forever and just hesitant to ‘cheat’ on my zillions. I’ve also not heard of this issue before.
I think it may be self inflicted in the way I cast, the handle side is always down and I even crank with handle side down so any moisture getting inside the reels drains that direction and when I'm bombing hardware there's lots of spray compounded by our damp weather and the reels never dry out. Being a lifetime Shimano guy my My tuned Metaniums have not been getting used as much since these showed up i'm very impressed with both Steez models.

Kurt

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 am

Polkfish1 wrote:What are the chances of the pinion bearing going bad on two reels bought by one customer and so quickly? Am I understanding this thread correctly? I’ve had a steez in my cart with plat forever and just hesitant to ‘cheat’ on my zillions. I’ve also not heard of this issue before.
The newer reels are using lower quality bearings, and Im selling all my customers new pinion bearings, whether they need it or not.
<")))><{