Abu spool question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnredd11
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Abu spool question

Postby Johnredd11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Can somebody that owns a older green Doyo bass pro extreme and either a Abu Orra or black, silver, or pro max tell me if the spools will swap between the models? The reason i ask is i can buy a DIY spool for the abu models mentioned but want to put it in the supertuned Extreme that i have. I know the gearset out of a Orra will fit as will the gears from a Proqualifier but i was wondering about the spools. Thank you in advance.
I also posted this in the maintenance forum but i figured i would get more feedback here.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Abu spool question

Postby LowRange » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 pm

I don't think so. You would need to see if a Black Max spool is the same dimensions as the Extreme spool. Any pics of the super tuned Extreme? I have a lot of respect for that platform. A lot of guys bought those and are still fishing them hard. I have the big version on that reel with aluminum side plates, the Nitro that I use as a light duty musky low pro reel.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: Abu spool question

Postby Johnredd11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:10 pm

I would take some pics but im currently deployed in afgahnistan( thats why i have the funds to buy reel parts). The basics of the reel are a set of 6.4 to 1 gears from a Abu premier that i had along with the carbon drag. It has a painted frame but i left the sideplates alone because i really like the green color and all the basspro logo was wore off. It also has a painted drag star and a 100mm carbon handle i got off ebay. Minus the paint i only have about 20 dollars in the reel haha. Its only use is throwing smallish chatterbaits( but thats my confidence bait).

User avatar
Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:17 am
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: Abu spool question

Postby Zimbass » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:I would take some pics but im currently deployed in afgahnistan( thats why i have the funds to buy reel parts). The basics of the reel are a set of 6.4 to 1 gears from a Abu premier that i had along with the carbon drag. It has a painted frame but i left the sideplates alone because i really like the green color and all the basspro logo was wore off. It also has a painted drag star and a 100mm carbon handle i got off ebay. Minus the paint i only have about 20 dollars in the reel haha. Its only use is throwing smallish chatterbaits( but thats my confidence bait).



Thank you for your service Sir.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: Abu spool question

Postby Johnredd11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 am

You are very welcome sir. Ok so ive found a couple spools online for the orra and revo models and they are all listed at 33mm. So if anyone with calipers has the green doyo bass pro extreme that could measure it that would be greatly appreciated.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Abu spool question

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am

Is it this reel?

https://goo.gl/images/VLomDR

Not sure if it will bring the picture here, but I found one of these in my father's garage on a Gander MTN rod (green on green). Ended up being a reel from my stepmother's early marriage where she lost her husband. He must have kept things very clean, because a few years back before I started collecting tackle, I found out this little reel would still cast really well, especially with 3/8 above. Ended up putting 20lb Fireline (from Wal-Mart clearance for $3 a spool) on it and left it for dad to fish. Strange to see this thread because I actually cleaned this reel for my father not too long ago.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Abu spool question

Postby LowRange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Is it this reel?

https://goo.gl/images/VLomDR

Not sure if it will bring the picture here, but I found one of these in my father's garage on a Gander MTN rod (green on green). Ended up being a reel from my stepmother's early marriage where she lost her husband. He must have kept things very clean, because a few years back before I started collecting tackle, I found out this little reel would still cast really well, especially with 3/8 above. Ended up putting 20lb Fireline (from Wal-Mart clearance for $3 a spool) on it and left it for dad to fish. Strange to see this thread because I actually cleaned this reel for my father not too long ago.


I think it the one that came after that. I believe that one is a Silstar.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: Abu spool question

Postby Johnredd11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm

It is the one after that.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Abu spool question

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:It is the one after that.


Well either way it threw pretty far and would free spool like crazy. Other than that is was pure trash though, a SilverMax or BlackMax was way more smooth and tight built. You could tell the reel I referenced was dated and made at almost a disposable level. The cheap build alone probably made me even more confused by just how far it would cast.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: Abu spool question

Postby Johnredd11 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:08 am

Yeah ill be honest the only other reel ive had that would cast as far as that reel with 10 to 12 lb suffix was my Antares but i no longer have that reel. Honestly it feels just like any other abu/pfluger reel that ive used minus the gen 2 Premier i had. All in all im glad to have it as it is a great caster and mine is very unique and i have almost no money into it. I bought the reel at a pawn shop because i wanted the rod it was on and was very surprised by the distance i got out of it but it felt like it had never seen a drop of grease in its entire life the gear werent in the best of shape. I swapped the gears and painted the frame and drag star added a cheap carbon handle and now i can throw a chatterbait farther than i can get a hookset haha. The very last time i went fishing before i deployed i caught my personal best of 5.4 lbs with it.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Abu spool question

Postby LowRange » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Johnredd11 wrote:It is the one after that.


Well either way it threw pretty far and would free spool like crazy. Other than that is was pure trash though, a SilverMax or BlackMax was way more smooth and tight built. You could tell the reel I referenced was dated and made at almost a disposable level. The cheap build alone probably made me even more confused by just how far it would cast.


Those old Pinnacle/Silstars were no joke when it came to casting. Some on my earliest casting reels were Pinnacles I would buy in the early 2000s and at the time they were great performers with lighter weight whiffle spools and centrifugal brakes. They just plain outperformed anything else I could get locally for the money. I had a Core Z combo that was a finesse casting machine and a cheaper version of the Tara, which I think was the PL100 pro series which also came in a combo.

This is the Doyo Extreme OP has. BPS had a number of reels on that platform and they were well liked and held up very well. That platform and the one after it the Revo2s and BPS ProQs used were good reliable workhorse platforms.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbasspro ... eview.html


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests