Alphas R Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Alphas R Question

Post by medicpelle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:27 pm

I have a virtually brand new R and I'm having some issues with it. No matter what line I use it will eventually get very loose on the spool. I have messed with the braking system and it still happens. The reel is pretty much unusable at this point. Any suggestions??

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Alphas R Question

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Can't be of any help as I don't mess with my reels. If you don't get it solved through replies to this thread, consider sending it to Ian Shields. If he can't fix it, then it is time to junk the reel.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks, I have a plan to send it off it need be but I know the brain trust here will have a recommendation or two.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Be more specific-is the line spinning on the spool or is the spool not turning when you turn the handle?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 am

The line is spinning on the spool.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 am

A small piece of tape on the knot may help.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:27 am

I'm assuming you are talking about the knot where the line is tied onto the spool? I can try it but I m not so sure that would solve the problem. The last line I spooled on a made sure the knot was cinched tight. Then when I spooled it made sure there was a lot of tension on the line when spooling. I set everything tight then slowly worked the knob back and brake off a little bit. When the bait was at a slow drop rate I started casting and after a few casts, the lines was ridiculously loose. I feel like I'm not explaining the problem correctly for some reason.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:01 am

Is the drag slipping? Maybe the spring washers are like this: (( or this: )) . They are supposed to be like this: )(
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:30 pm

medicpelle wrote:I'm assuming you are talking about the knot where the line is tied onto the spool? I can try it but I m not so sure that would solve the problem. The last line I spooled on a made sure the knot was cinched tight. Then when I spooled it made sure there was a lot of tension on the line when spooling. I set everything tight then slowly worked the knob back and brake off a little bit. When the bait was at a slow drop rate I started casting and after a few casts, the lines was ridiculously loose. I feel like I'm not explaining the problem correctly for some reason.
Yes Sir, I am. It sounds like a thing if you use a heavy springy floro line with too lite of a lure? In which case the spool would be trying to spin faster than the lure could pull line. More details would be helpful.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:17 pm

The last set up I have on it is 10lb mono and a 3/8oz wooden prop bait. Ii also has done it with 12 lb fluro and a small jig. Its like the line is moving on casts faster then the spool or something.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Are you spooling line onto the reel the correct direction? Non braid lines have a directional memory from the filler spool and when placed onto the reel's spool backwards will spring off the spool and cause problems. Leaving the line on the reel for a week or two will allow it to take to the spool and develop a new memory will help make the line more manageable.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:12 pm

Are you just getting backlashes/birdsnests, and you think there's something wrong with the mag brakes?

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Negative on the line, it can sit for two weeks and there is no difference. I'm not getting any birds nests per say. The line will become very loose and if not corrected it would lead to a birds nest and problems casting. I am also starting to think there may be a small issue with the brakes. I at a loss with this reel at the moment.