Core 51Mg7 Handle Upgrade

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Core 51Mg7 Handle Upgrade

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
bigfruits wrote:i tried some of those handles (Chronarch/Metanium) but ended up with straight ones on my Core and Alde mgs. for some reason it rubbed the drag but i have heard others having success!

if you decide to drop a little more into it that reel, check out the 7.7:1 brass gears if you havent already.
http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/bra ... inder.html

Ian can also install a Alde BFS gearset with a cheap mod ($7?). I believe its 8.1:1 or so, not brass.
I ended up ordering a Metanium handle along with a spacer from TTT. They test fit all the pieces for me to make sure it would all fit. Excellent service from the guys over there!

I'm very interested in those 7.7:1 brass gears from JT. I much prefer brass gears over aluminum and would also appreciate the faster retrieve as this reel will be used for bottom contact presentations. Thanks for the link.
I put the 7.7 gears in my Curado 50. They work great and are very fluid feeling.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Core 51Mg7 Handle Upgrade

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Just got my Metanium handle and spacer from TTT today. Put it together and it fits great. The drag star just clears the handle and works perfectly. I can't say I'm a fan of the plastic handle nut retainers that Shimano uses now, but I can live with that I suppose. The handle color isn't a great match, but doesn't look too bad to me. I definitely recommend this upgrade for anyone looking for a better handle for their Core/Met 50Mgs. Feels much more comfortable now.

Now if anyone knows of any spool options to improve casting on the lighter end other than the super shallow honeycomb offerings from Avail I would be very interested to hear about them...