It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Post by btoups » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Just something about those Conquest 50’s.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm in both camps on this one, I have lots of classics but Mets. 13/MGL and the Steez SV and A's have pulled me away, I don't use the classics anymore even though they look new in the box. The high speed retrieve has been the biggest revelation now I at least have a fighting chance of keeping up with Salmon and Steelhead in fast current. I have been able to get away from Spinning Tackle for most of my fishing now just for that reason. :D

I broke out my Curado D the other day all excited and after a few cast I thought... Ugh this is one of my all time favorites?, where is my Tatula type R?

Kurt

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:28 pm

It's only been half a decade...but let's see.

I like a combination of both and find that a proper 6.3 ratio in Daiwa 34/36 mm spools and Shimano's 200 sized Calais, is about perfect for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits when "burning" isn't essential.

There's not much today that can replace the OG Zillion Type R and SV103, and the TDZ is just a fantastic reel to fish still and would be even better with an available 7.1 gear ratio for the RH model.

I do really like the more availability of faster 7-8:1 ratios from modern Daiwas and Shimanos and some of the advancements in tech, granted it is many times in combination with lesser quality parts, which can translate to a less robust feel in the overall product.

I was out today in the heat and humidity fishing for a few hours and noticed all four combos I had with me were all a bit OG:
1.) Modded Daiwa Zillion SV103HL + 30lb braid + leader/Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming for 3/8 bladed jig+trailer.
2.) Modded Shimano Scorpion 1000XT with 7.7 Brenious brass gears/carbontex + 20lb braid + leader/Jackall PA 7'0" Heavy Swimbait (3/8 - 1/2 topwater and buzzbaits).
3.) Daiwa Z2020H (stock)/Gen I Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707MH/12lb CXX/3/4 oz Strike King Bottom Dweller spinnerbait.
4.) Shimano Calais 201A (stock)/12 lb Yozuri Hybrid/Gen 1 Megabass Orochi XX Tour Versatile/1/2 oz Super Spook Jr. and 3/4 oz R.I Vixen.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:11 am

The advancements since the early 2000's are too small for me to care about the year of production of a reel. On the Daiwa side, all what's changing is the spool, and since they're interchangeable, why spend $300+ on a new reel when you can just buy the spool, and have its performance? Not to mention that most spools from Daiwa focus on control instead of distance, and i need distance over everything else since i am mostly fishing from the bank.

On the Shimano side, their newer braking system that was introduced on 2016 met mgl is a bigger difference in performance, but that's mostly because their archaic svs system was far behind mag v/mag z from Daiwa.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:29 am

Some I could not afford when they came out and now I have a chance to try them out and in some cases upgrade and try

For me I was on a journey to discover my personal preferences and after spending money recklessly I’ve learned that newer is not always better. But the number one take away I’ve gotten from this journey is what I prefer and some of the old school just do it for me
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bassfanatick
Angler
Angler

Post by bassfanatick » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:04 pm

Just bought a Shimano Chronarch 200E, the white one, will keep it until I die, and it will be buried with me \:D/

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:35 pm

Older reels feel more utilitarian and have more personality than newer reels.

I mean Bluetooth... Whats next solar powered DC?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:56 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:35 pm
Older reels feel more utilitarian and have more personality than newer reels.

I mean Bluetooth... Whats next solar powered DC?
Solar powered digital-arse-recognition A.I. flushing commodes.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Stump jumper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Stump jumper » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:40 pm

I must be in the minority. I don’t think any of the top of the line reels from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s come remotely close to the refinement in todays top of the line reels. Some companies haven’t gotten much better though and I’m referring more to Daiwa & Shimanos’ current top of the line.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 pm

Stump jumper wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:40 pm
I must be in the minority. I don’t think any of the top of the line reels from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s come remotely close to the refinement in todays top of the line reels. Some companies haven’t gotten much better though and I’m referring more to Daiwa & Shimanos’ current top of the line.
What I feel in "refinement" comes at a cost of internal material robustness and overall quality of the frame and other components... Shimano HEG never used to fry or have issues that the MM gears have showcased since inception. Same with Daiwa, the frame of the Zillion and especially the internals are much better built than even the 2019 Morethan or Steez A II. Also, there have been gears going bad in the brass sets of the Morethan and Zillion faster than the Duralumin, strangely, versus the OG Zillions which were extremely durable.

This new ideology of reel design is along the same trajectory of what is happening with modern autos...I was a top transmission shop a couple of weeks ago (for a torque converter check up), and more than half of their 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks at the shop for repair or complete transmission rebuild or replacement, were newer Ford, Dodge, GM products...these newer 8, 9, 10 speed transmissions are literally junk, burning out well less than 60-70k miles towing the same loads as what the previously "older and less refined", 4/5/6 speed transmissions did for decades with exponentially higher reliability. Same goes for the engine electronics and support parts. I was another top tier mechanic shop for a new radiator in our 2010 Tahoe, and he confirmed that the newest V8 engines and transmissions have the most issues and the most repair expense within the first 60k-70k miles, while older generations of the same trucks and SUVs were rock solid for well into the 200k range and longer.

Not a surprise that both the top Master ASE mechanic and shop owner, and the shop manager at the transmission shop, both confirmed that most full sizes trucks and SUVs 2013 and older were more reliable than "modern crops"...and this includes even Toyota's newest Tacomas with the direct injection 4-cyl and 3.5L V6, versus the near indestructible 3400 and 4.0L V6 motors. Let's not even get into the class action lawsuit settlement over the Nissan CVT transmissions, that is as notorious a monstrosity as any auto manufacturer ever put out in any vehicle, and it's in nearly all of their non-truck platform vehicles...so many examples I have witnessed in my 17 years in the auto biz with over a dozen manufacturers, with some of the European brands being the absolute worst in quality and durability, while presenting the "prettiest most refined package".

There are many other examples as well, for example the Ford Powerstroke 7.3 versus the abomination that was the International 6.0...or Fiat-Ram-Dodge diesels that are no where near the power/strength/indestructibility of the inline 6 Cummins.

It's a world of planned obsolescence, with a much prettier, fancier, more palatable wrapping and presentation box, and there's no denying it.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 am

Picked up the new Zillion finally. Stock spool pitches almost as well as a PG out of the box. New bearings might bring it up to par. Impressive. Drag seems a bit weaker than expected but the clicker is neat.

New Bantam landed as well but I haven't had it out yet. Current crop of new reels look pretty good. In 2018 I was hunting older Daiwas. In 2023 I think I'm good buying off the rack finally. Someone tell ZPI to make spools again.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:25 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 am
Picked up the new Zillion finally. Stock spool pitches almost as well as a PG out of the box. New bearings might bring it up to par. Impressive. Drag seems a bit weaker than expected but the clicker is neat.

New Bantam landed as well but I haven't had it out yet. Current crop of new reels look pretty good. In 2018 I was hunting older Daiwas. In 2023 I think I'm good buying off the rack finally. Someone tell ZPI to make spools again.
They are good reels but kind of soulless in appearance.
No conplaints on performance though. Casts as far as I care to and skips when I want it to everytime. I do like black finish, handle, retainer and knobs on the HD too. Its just the silver and black Zillion that gets to me visually. There is something about the gloss and satin mix on the HD that looks the part. Both reels have horrible mag dial locations and are super stiff. I adjust a lot when skipping and this new dial is annoying.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:24 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:25 pm
CGrinder wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 am

They are good reels but kind of soulless in appearance.
No conplaints on performance though. Casts as far as I care to and skips when I want it to everytime. I do like black finish, handle, retainer and knobs on the HD too. Its just the silver and black Zillion that gets to me visually. There is something about the gloss and satin mix on the HD that looks the part. Both reels have horrible mag dial locations and are super stiff. I adjust a lot when skipping and this new dial is annoying.
The mag dial on the new Zillion is bad and should feel bad. I hope it loosens up a bit over time.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:40 pm

It's 2023, and I'm not buying reels from the past, but I have 6 or 7 Steez from 15yrs ago, and they are still my main reels.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:49 pm

For me, the biggest improvement is with BFS ready factory reels the last few years and spinning gear... granted some of the older lower gear ratio, larger teeth/clunky spinners were quite indestructible.