It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 am

I’m on travel. A lot of travel and this is one time that I’m close enough to civilization to get a signal.
I had been looking to buy a Steez ex ( I have one already but that’s not the point) and I was asked why am I looking to buy a reel drone times past?
It’s a valid question so I gave it minimal thought because I knew I really could not justify it other than I wanted one. However amidst the recent I’cast 2018 and
all that it has coming out I still find myself look looking backwards for tackle rather than forward. Not that there isn’t some good looking tackle out there as I’ve also looked at the bantam reel as well. I wanted to know If there were any of you guys in the same boat as I am, looking back?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Post by a1712 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 am

Just purchased 2-NIB Shimano Curado 50E's, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 am

I still love the older Alphas variations myself. I do have a couple of the Tatula SV reels and I like them pretty well.....but I would be just as content with a couple of TDZ's in their place. I just dont think of the Curado 100/50E, Chronarch D, Alphas, TDZ or OG Zillion platforms as being dated. I think all those platforms are still as relevant today as when they were new, and IMHO, they can certainly hold their own against anything just released at ICAST.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 am

I'm with you,too! I like a old times solid reels,which works nice and have a years and decedes proof of quality ,and can do competition to any newest reel.
Abu 2500c,Morrum SX1600 Ultramag,Conquest 51,Cardiff 50S DC,Calais 200A,Calais 201 DC,Daiwa 205 CV-Z,103 SW,TD-Ito103M,Zillion PE Special,Alphas KTF Finnese,Pixy KTF Finnese...and lot more!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 am

a1712 wrote:Just purchased 2-NIB Shimano Curado 50E's, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Brian.

Got any old lefties for sale Brian! Ha!

I'm still using my old Curado CU-201 B38. It is a 3.8:1 retreive and I love it.

So when you coming back to central Florida for some bass fishing???

Oh and 73 pound carp don't count! :lol:
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:35 am

20180715_211553 (556x800) (445x640).jpg
20180715_211553 (556x800) (445x640).jpg (223.09 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
That was with a K, so it doesn't go with the theme. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:25 am

Because I know what really works well for me. I keep trying the newer reels...I'll buy into the hype, find out I don't like it, then keep searching for older reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Build quality. Daiwa doesn't build reels like once upon a time imo. That solid ruggedness with a very gratifying smooth and connected feeling is rare in current offerings that aren't a rehash built around an old platform. The incorporation of Zaion mixed with magnesium just isn't the same. The only platform that stayed true to form for the most part is the Alphas. I love my Steez SV TW - like a lot, but it still doesn't scream quality like my PX68 does. Simple stuff really. Like how the PX68 and Tdz came with a metal level wind cap. Everything is plastic now. It's really hard to wrap my head around actually. In terms of performance, there is no doubt that advancements have been made. But I can't figure out why Daiwa hasn't included these advancements with the old build quality. Daiwa spinning reels are a great example. Look at the old Advantage, Sol, and Fuego. Now look at today's offerings. Combine the two elements and you have perfection. I know it's more cost effective for Daiwa, and people want reels as light as a paperclip, but that hollow, disconnected feel just isn't the same. If Daiwa can't produce more new footprints like the Steez SV TW, they should keep pumping out iterations of old reels rather than beating the Tatula to death 500 times over.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:51 pm

My simple answer...I just want that one. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:10 pm

New Daiwas are stupid shaped. Old Dawias are shaped correctly and were often made in Japan.

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Old Daiwa spinning reels had one-touch folding handles, which is great for the travelling angler, and the new Daiwas don't.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 pm

I like the old platforms made in Japan a lot so every so often I’ll buy older reels I just ordered a d7 from ttt. I’m also afraid of spiders all the new Daiwa have them crawling all over them

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:42 am

When I joined the forum 4 or 5 years ago maybe more I found I was "going back in time" on the Shimano stuff. Seeking out Chronarch 100D7's Chronarch MG's Holding onto Core's after Metanium was released, old Stella's etc. Once I got a Exsence DC and felt a little more speed with a 8.0:1 gear ratio my gears started to turn. Then I bought my first NRX, Metanium XG etc. Out went the old gear, it's simple and it works not hating on how dam smooth or powerful the Chronarch D was, the Core's I loved flipping and pitching casting etc. I'm all about the bite not the fight so to me these newer 8.0-8.5:1 gear ratio reels are the real deal. Love how much more quick I am on the water with a 34-36" reel punching matted cover, making pitch after pitch to docks locks and rocks.

In terms of rods I'm a big fan of Spiral-X and Hi-Power X. The Orochi XX Jerkbait rod was amazing to fish also when owning it in years past, lighter more accurate banks. Faster reels with lighter materials and more power. I'm all in for new technology fishing gear, old stuff works but at the end of the day if your a collector you will collect and if your a heavy use guy like me you will sell order reels and continue to replace with newer models. I'm a strong believer in the Metanium MGL 150XG's and will flip and punch with these reels for the next couple seasons 100%. Conquest is a beast in my new experience and will add more of these for my short line pitching game. Bantam MGL might be my next upgrade to Curado K's. Unreal what Shimano's been doing the last few seasons.
mtfishing IG

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm

In the last few years I've bought both older classics (OG Zillion, OG Steez, TD-Z) as well as newer reels (18 Ryoga, Curado K, Tatula CT). I've enjoyed fishing them all.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 pm

I feel that rods have made some major performance advancements.

In regards to reels, nothing new really impresses me.

The T3 was pretty bad imo, I didn't like the high profile of the t wing. The only reel that offered something new to me was the Alderbaran BFS XG, because of it's casting capabilities.

My Japan made Pixys, Monoblocks, Zillions, TDZ, and Alpha platforms are all tuned to the max. I just haven't had any good reason to exchange them for the new stuff.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.