It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: It’s 2018, why are you buying reels from the past

Post by tincanary » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:11 am

Old reels are my jam, especially those pre-Pure Fishing ABUs like the Cardinal and Ambassadeur. They're the Ford Straight 6 of fishing reels. They seemingly last forever and withstand repeated abuse. Their simplicity is unlike any other reel with the ability to service in the field if need be. Sure they're slow, heavy, and unrefined compared to the latest and greatest out of Japan, but they have a well proven track record of lasting decades. They will do whatever you ask of them whether it's pitching, skipping, or swinging for the fences. I love my Japanese made Shimano and Daiwa reels, but I still find myself reaching for ol' reliable for most of my fishing. They get the job done well and consistently in spite of those perceived shortcomings. To me, there's no better reel than a 2500C for throwing small hardware to steelhead during the fall, and that time is quickly approaching. This was my PB I got last October in a local river on a 2500C strung up with #0.8 PE, 6lb Maxima leader, and a Daiwa Silver Creek Minnow 50S. The rod is a Smith Troutin'Spin 6'5" ML 3-12g.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:34 am

Damn, excellent work on that fall steelie.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:20 am

I'm not really buying old tackle, it's more a case of the old stuff still works. I wouldn't mind having something new, but the amount that I'd have to spend to surpass what I have isn't in the budget.

I guess there is some old stuff that would be cool to have, mostly from a nostalgia POV though.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:22 am

I bought a glx bcr 893 this week for a good deal. Rod is in excellent condition so I removed cork foregrip and customized it to look more up to date and put a alde mg7 on it. I love the Shimano 50 frames they are just perfect to me. For a combo from around 2009 that setup will hang with anything I could buy new today