Bantam MGL reviews?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby arrowslinger1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:53 am

If no brakes are on the dial has no effect.
Must buy all jdm shimanos.....

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:11 am

I still never figured out why the US model Bantam MGL always lists only 8 bearings total. Saw plenty of schematics and I'm pretty sure its 9 total, Shimano USA still hadn't changed it last time I checked. Unless of course the count is different for the US model after all...

1nutinthewater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 am

Anyone got a line on the 151 XG in stock for under $300?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby Kurt L » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Anyone got a line on the 151 XG in stock for under $300?

I will probably be returning mine :shock: the performance just isn't worth the price, there are to many other reels that are more refined at this price point. The Bantam spool capacity should be good for Steelhead fishing if you need it, I don't need more than 120 yards or so of 8-10lb test for the Salmon fishing I do, if they get that far I have already lost them to a bend in the river or a sweeper so a 70 - 100 size spool if perfect. I might try a Steez A?

Just a thought... the Curado 200K gives up nothing to the Bantam MGL performance wise that I could tell and you could buy two of them for the same price as the Bantam.

Kurt

1nutinthewater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby 1nutinthewater » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Kurt L wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:Anyone got a line on the 151 XG in stock for under $300?

I will probably be returning mine :shock: the performance just isn't worth the price, there are to many other reels that are more refined at this price point. The Bantam spool capacity should be good for Steelhead fishing if you need it, I don't need more than 120 yards or so of 8-10lb test for the Salmon fishing I do, if they get that far I have already lost them to a bend in the river or a sweeper so a 70 - 100 size spool if perfect. I might try a Steez A?

Just a thought... the Curado 200K gives up nothing to the Bantam MGL performance wise that I could tell and you could buy two of them for the same price as the Bantam.

Kurt


Hmm Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I need to rethink this... Kinda getting tired of buying rods/reels to try and then they go on the back burner. Really like the chronarch mgl that i used last season and the lexa 300 is ok- spool clicker on the way for it so maybe just stick with them. Naw--- thats no fun
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby Kurt L » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:49 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
Kurt L wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:Anyone got a line on the 151 XG in stock for under $300?

I will probably be returning mine :shock: the performance just isn't worth the price, there are to many other reels that are more refined at this price point. The Bantam spool capacity should be good for Steelhead fishing if you need it, I don't need more than 120 yards or so of 8-10lb test for the Salmon fishing I do, if they get that far I have already lost them to a bend in the river or a sweeper so a 70 - 100 size spool if perfect. I might try a Steez A?

Just a thought... the Curado 200K gives up nothing to the Bantam MGL performance wise that I could tell and you could buy two of them for the same price as the Bantam.

Kurt


Hmm Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I need to rethink this... Kinda getting tired of buying rods/reels to try and then they go on the back burner. Really like the chronarch mgl that i used last season and the lexa 300 is ok- spool clicker on the way for it so maybe just stick with them. Naw--- thats no fun


The Chronarch is great reel so is the Lexa 300! for what it's worth the Cabelas Arachnid (Old Tatula Type R basically) is a great option. I tried three reels this spring for light King salmon work (12lb line) all the high speed options, A Lews Super Duty, Curado K and the Arachnid was the best of the bunch its really solid and is smoother with or without load on it & casting is on par, it's a killer deal for what you get. It's the only one of the three that I kept.

Kurt

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby johnD » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Kurt L wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
Kurt L wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:Anyone got a line on the 151 XG in stock for under $300?

I will probably be returning mine :shock: the performance just isn't worth the price, there are to many other reels that are more refined at this price point. The Bantam spool capacity should be good for Steelhead fishing if you need it, I don't need more than 120 yards or so of 8-10lb test for the Salmon fishing I do, if they get that far I have already lost them to a bend in the river or a sweeper so a 70 - 100 size spool if perfect. I might try a Steez A?

Just a thought... the Curado 200K gives up nothing to the Bantam MGL performance wise that I could tell and you could buy two of them for the same price as the Bantam.

Kurt


Hmm Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I need to rethink this... Kinda getting tired of buying rods/reels to try and then they go on the back burner. Really like the chronarch mgl that i used last season and the lexa 300 is ok- spool clicker on the way for it so maybe just stick with them. Naw--- thats no fun


The Chronarch is great reel so is the Lexa 300! for what it's worth the Cabelas Arachnid (Old Tatula Type R basically) is a great option. I tried three reels this spring for light King salmon work (12lb line) all the high speed options, A Lews Super Duty, Curado K and the Arachnid was the best of the bunch its really solid and is smoother with or without load on it & casting is on par, it's a killer deal for what you get. It's the only one of the three that I kept.

Kurt


That cabelas reel has 12 bearings ?

Real Pudd legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby Real Pudd legend » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:59 pm

My bantam was finicky when I first got it , the trick for me was the amount of line on the spool. It has a happy spot where it’s not over filled. Now it casts effortlessly with overruns now less intermittent. It does have a sweet spot in lure weight that’s for sure ...

gefrank
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby gefrank » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 pm

My Brake settings are 1 inner block activated, 2.5 / 6 on the side plate.
Works well for most lures i throw.
at 2 / 6, the line starts to get really unstable even with 2 inner blocks activated.

By the way the (Stock) bearings were dipped in acetone with 1 drip of Hedge hog alchemy ultralight oil.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Yeah the Cabela's Arachnid is much like the old body style (non CT) Fuego. Has the extra 2 bearings in the knobs and 2 on the levelwind. Think it has 2 main shaft, 1 anti reverse, 1 pinion, 2 spool, 4 handle knobs, 2 levelwind. Wish more companies would do this for mid priced reels, still find is so strange that the Fuego had 12 bearings stock.

User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby TommyG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 am

Been using 1 brake block on, 3 on the dial, cc just a tad to the tight side, 10in power worm 3/8 wt, CNQ904c.
Smooth casting, good distance, and a very solid feel with a fish on. :big grin:

wirinhar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby wirinhar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Kurt L wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:Anyone got a line on the 151 XG in stock for under $300?

I will probably be returning mine :shock: the performance just isn't worth the price, there are to many other reels that are more refined at this price point. The Bantam spool capacity should be good for Steelhead fishing if you need it, I don't need more than 120 yards or so of 8-10lb test for the Salmon fishing I do, if they get that far I have already lost them to a bend in the river or a sweeper so a 70 - 100 size spool if perfect. I might try a Steez A?

Just a thought... the Curado 200K gives up nothing to the Bantam MGL performance wise that I could tell and you could buy two of them for the same price as the Bantam.

Kurt


Hmm Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I need to rethink this...

X2.... Furthermore Malaysia Shimano has the worst in term of customer service [-X [-X [-X

So I decide to stay with Daiwa :)

WW

1nutinthewater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby 1nutinthewater » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 am

The bait monkey took control of my keyboard last night while visiting a JDM site and when I awoke I found a receipt in my inbox for the purchase of the 151 XG................
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby johnD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 am

1nutinthewater wrote:The bait monkey took control of my keyboard last night while visiting a JDM site and when I awoke I found a receipt in my inbox for the purchase of the 151 XG................


congrats ! 8-)

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1769
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby LgMouthGambler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:19 pm

So Im seeing a trend of people selling off the Bantams after using them a bit. Is this reel just over hyped? Kinda reminding me of the whole Concept Z thing. Thoughts on this? Or is it because its got a plastic pawl? :lol:
<")))><{


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fishing4Fun and 7 guests