Bantam MGL reviews?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:23 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:So Im seeing a trend of people selling off the Bantams after using them a bit. Is this reel just over hyped? Kinda reminding me of the whole Concept Z thing. Thoughts on this? Or is it because its got a plastic pawl? :lol:
Was shocked to see this myself too. Again, I know people who absolutely rail fish non stop with Curado 70's and their pawl and worm gear are both that composition I think. The Curado K has one made of polymer I think too. Doesn't seem to be any mention of this being a weak spot, but it sure does feel weird to say even. I have asked before, but I don't think the Metanium MGL/13 or Chronarch have either pawl or worm gear plastic?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:So Im seeing a trend of people selling off the Bantams after using them a bit. Is this reel just over hyped? Kinda reminding me of the whole Concept Z thing. Thoughts on this? Or is it because its got a plastic pawl? :lol:
Was shocked to see this myself too. Again, I know people who absolutely rail fish non stop with Curado 70's and their pawl and worm gear are both that composition I think. The Curado K has one made of polymer I think too. Doesn't seem to be any mention of this being a weak spot, but it sure does feel weird to say even. I have asked before, but I don't think the Metanium MGL/13 or Chronarch have either pawl or worm gear plastic?
The Metanium does, and Im pretty sure the Chronarch as well. And here I was holding out for Shimano to improve a bit, and I was let down personally. So, I resorted to just buying a Citica I, and a 14Scorpion as my "new" reel purchases.
<")))><{

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:53 am

chronarch mgl has a metal worm gear. idk about the pawl.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 am

Nothing but hype, I say keep selling them at lower prices, they're not worth keeping...and I'll take them off your hands. I just received another gently used one yesterday. :big grin:

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 am

I like the two I have , no complaints here ... sell them to me if you don’t like em!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:53 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I like the two I have , no complaints here ... sell them to me if you don’t like em!
I dont own any. I waited to see the specs and internals on one before I made a decision. Im just curious as to what advantage it has over the Curado K? (which I dont own either due to the over complicated design). I get its got a full aluminum contruction (besides the pawl :lol: ). I cant even see an advantage of the Curado K over the I. They cast the same, and Ive got the same distance out of them. Hell, my Citica I with HawgTech spool bearings outcasted the K I tested with the same spool bearings.
<")))><{

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm actually surprised to see all of the negative comments regarding this reel. I have used it a few times now and can say I absolutely love it. I use it for spooks and jerkbaits mostly and can honestly say it is just as smooth as my CQ's for quite a bit less money. The fact the non handle side plate is integrated into the frame makes this one rigid beast that should stand up to anything.

I considered getting rid of my other reels (excluding the CQ's) and almost traded a Metanium DC for one but figured there isn't anything wrong with my other reels and I don't need the added cost so for now, I will be keeping the one I've got now.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:33 pm

In my opinion, owning the Curado I for a year and now owning the Curado K, the K is better in every way.

It casts a bit better, its defiantly smoother, its easier to palm...plus it looks nice

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 pm

After reading some of so so comments and seeing the sell offs...I am really liking mine. :big grin:

Isn't that how expectations goes...If there's so much rave about it, then it goes to all hype...I would probably be then somewhat let down...
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 pm

If mine was buttery smooth or cast amazing it would be something but its neither, heck my Tatulas, Steez and even Curado I are smoother and cast better so I'm probably returning or selling mine, for less money you can get a Met. MGL and have a very nice reel. I don't think my Curado K was an improvement of my "I" either... I'm still on the fence for my Bantam though but it's not looking good for it :roll:

Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:53 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
The Metanium does, and Im pretty sure the Chronarch as well. And here I was holding out for Shimano to improve a bit, and I was let down personally. So, I resorted to just buying a Citica I, and a 14Scorpion as my "new" reel purchases.
The idler gear behind the main gear (2 of them) are both plastic, always on every reel it seems (think my SV105 actually has that as metal too). The worm shaft is plastic on some Shimano's like the Curado 70 I think. The short sharp piece that follows the worm shaft is plastic too now on some, like we are speaking of now (Bantam)??? But I do think the Chronarch and Metanium MGL are metal/metal for those areas.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:02 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
The idler gear behind the main gear (2 of them) are both plastic, always on every reel it seems (think my SV105 actually has that as metal too). The worm shaft is plastic on some Shimano's like the Curado 70 I think. The short sharp piece that follows the worm shaft is plastic too now on some, like we are speaking of now (Bantam)??? But I do think the Chronarch and Metanium MGL are metal/metal for those areas.
The idle gears Im not concerned about, as they are usually always plastic. Its the levelwind shaft and pawl that makes me mad. Yes, the Bantams pawl is plastic, which really pissed me off. How can you have a top tier reel with that? No thanks. My big gripe with the Scorpion 70 was the plastic levelwind shaft and plastic pawl. The metanium MGL has a metal levelwind shaft, and a plastic pawl.
<")))><{

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Is this plastic pawl unique to Bantam or can it be replaced with a metal pawl from some other reel?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm

surge wrote:Is this plastic pawl unique to Bantam or can it be replaced with a metal pawl from some other reel?
Havent checked into it yet. Though typically many of the Shimanos use the BNT0042 pawls.
<")))><{

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I just got one, feels pretty good in the 893nrx, should have fun jigging with it tomorrow