Bantam MGL reviews?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
gefrank
Angler
Angler

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Post by gefrank » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
j2015 wrote:Dropped in the avail shallow spool and the thing is a pitching machine!
How does that spool toss light lures???
I threw a 4g jig head fully stock mgl spool and bearings loaded with 20lbs firewire crystal on a MH rod.
It blew my mate's mind who was on a full BFS set up.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 pm

gefrank wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
j2015 wrote:Dropped in the avail shallow spool and the thing is a pitching machine!
How does that spool toss light lures???
I threw a 4g jig head fully stock mgl spool and bearings loaded with 20lbs firewire crystal on a MH rod.
It blew my mate's mind who was on a full BFS set up.
I was pretty shocked when I first cast an eighth ounce shaky head on my Chronarch MGL, MGL spools can finesse with the best of them too...

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 am

These can be had on a Japanese website for $263 shipped not a bad price at all.

btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by btoups » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 pm

I should get mine I. The mail tomorrow. Can’t wait to try it out.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 am

Very pleased with my bantam after a few outings as a salmon reel. Super smooth- nothing over 12# yet so the reel test is yet to come. Loaded with 50# pp and throwing an ounce.
Much smoother than the chronarch mgl which is very geary although it has has the micro module gearing also. Anyone else have both?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:10 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Very pleased with my bantam after a few outings as a salmon reel. Super smooth- nothing over 12# yet so the reel test is yet to come. Loaded with 50# pp and throwing an ounce.
Much smoother than the chronarch mgl which is very geary although it has has the micro module gearing also. Anyone else have both?
I have both. I prefer the Bantam from the start. The Chronarch sort of grows on me after some use. I am using Diawa J8 braid. 15# on Bantam and 20# on Chronarch. Just due to the slight difference in line, the Bantam feels like a heavyweight light lure caster. It does better with 15#. Also feels more of a silent cranking/retrieve over the lightweight Chronarch. I toss 1/4 oz lures.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am

I have my bantam spooled with 50#pp and the chronarch with 30# fireline ultra. The chronarch is smooth as silk with the spool out but rather geary in use. Any explanation for this?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 am

1nutinthewater wrote:I have my bantam spooled with 50#pp and the chronarch with 30# fireline ultra. The chronarch is smooth as silk with the spool out but rather geary in use. Any explanation for this?
Sounds like some grit or sediment around the spool lip. Or possibly even on the spool itself.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am

I have taken it down twice now cleaned everything and relubed.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 am

reason162 wrote:Can't believe no one's posted this yet:

https://youtu.be/tsQPm5oM7r0

Good video.
I read TT.com review as well as watch the video. I see these reels going for less than retail and that was my concern as they aren't as good as some say. I recently got the 8.1:1 and I intend to use it for flipping and pitching with 50lb braid. I am very skeptical that I will like it but I am trying to remain open minded, hence I will play to the strength of the reel rather than try to go against its design. We shall see.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Very pleased with my bantam after a few outings as a salmon reel. Super smooth- nothing over 12# yet so the reel test is yet to come. Loaded with 50# pp and throwing an ounce.
Yes that is expected from the Chronarch once you handle the Bantam. That's just as accomplishment for the Bantam.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 am

I purchased a Bantam 8.1:1 for light Salmon duty and was not impressed, I used it back to back with two Mets. 13 & MGL using the same rod and line (8lb P-line CXX) and for me i liked the Mets. better. I returned the Bantam, mine was very picky casting and was not as smooth under load (Micro Module is a Scam), it just felt like a pig that didn't do anything the Mets. did not do as well or better. Note: both Mets. have the brass gear upgrade. But maybe my Bantam was a turd?
The real eye opener that came out of this was the Steez "A" 8.1:1, I purchased after returning the Bantam now that was a significant upgrade!

Kurt

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:44 am

Hmm. My thoughts so far is this thing is solid and extremely smooth. The cold metal feel is different compared to all of the composite reels i have and the weight is negligible for my uses.
I just installed the drag clicker kit from Oleg and am looking forward to some winter rains and the upcoming steel head season to put this thing through the reel test!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:16 pm

From my understanding it weighs less than the OG zillion so
I’m not pressed about weight if that’s accurate
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Kurt L wrote:I purchased a Bantam 8.1:1 for light Salmon duty and was not impressed, I used it back to back with two Mets. 13 & MGL using the same rod and line (8lb P-line CXX) and for me i liked the Mets. better. I returned the Bantam, mine was very picky casting and was not as smooth under load (Micro Module is a Scam), it just felt like a pig that didn't do anything the Mets. did not do as well or better. Note: both Mets. have the brass gear upgrade. But maybe my Bantam was a turd?
The real eye opener that came out of this was the Steez "A" 8.1:1, I purchased after returning the Bantam now that was a significant upgrade!

Kurt
Yeah I am still very impressed with mine. Cannot believe an aluminum geared reel is that smooth. I just hope that Steez A smooth feeling lasts. My favorite thing is still the clicking drag though.