Bantam MGL reviews?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
gefrank
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby gefrank » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
j2015 wrote:Dropped in the avail shallow spool and the thing is a pitching machine!


How does that spool toss light lures???


I threw a 4g jig head fully stock mgl spool and bearings loaded with 20lbs firewire crystal on a MH rod.
It blew my mate's mind who was on a full BFS set up.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 pm

gefrank wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
j2015 wrote:Dropped in the avail shallow spool and the thing is a pitching machine!


How does that spool toss light lures???


I threw a 4g jig head fully stock mgl spool and bearings loaded with 20lbs firewire crystal on a MH rod.
It blew my mate's mind who was on a full BFS set up.


I was pretty shocked when I first cast an eighth ounce shaky head on my Chronarch MGL, MGL spools can finesse with the best of them too...

User avatar
Ajaxin
Angler
Angler
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:47 pm
Location: Rockland County, NY

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby Ajaxin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 am

These can be had on a Japanese website for $263 shipped not a bad price at all.

btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:50 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby btoups » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 pm

I should get mine I. The mail tomorrow. Can’t wait to try it out.

1nutinthewater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby 1nutinthewater » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 am

Very pleased with my bantam after a few outings as a salmon reel. Super smooth- nothing over 12# yet so the reel test is yet to come. Loaded with 50# pp and throwing an ounce.
Much smoother than the chronarch mgl which is very geary although it has has the micro module gearing also. Anyone else have both?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 am
Location: Lil'Can

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby slipperybob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:10 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Very pleased with my bantam after a few outings as a salmon reel. Super smooth- nothing over 12# yet so the reel test is yet to come. Loaded with 50# pp and throwing an ounce.
Much smoother than the chronarch mgl which is very geary although it has has the micro module gearing also. Anyone else have both?

I have both. I prefer the Bantam from the start. The Chronarch sort of grows on me after some use. I am using Diawa J8 braid. 15# on Bantam and 20# on Chronarch. Just due to the slight difference in line, the Bantam feels like a heavyweight light lure caster. It does better with 15#. Also feels more of a silent cranking/retrieve over the lightweight Chronarch. I toss 1/4 oz lures.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

1nutinthewater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby 1nutinthewater » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am

I have my bantam spooled with 50#pp and the chronarch with 30# fireline ultra. The chronarch is smooth as silk with the spool out but rather geary in use. Any explanation for this?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 am

1nutinthewater wrote:I have my bantam spooled with 50#pp and the chronarch with 30# fireline ultra. The chronarch is smooth as silk with the spool out but rather geary in use. Any explanation for this?


Sounds like some grit or sediment around the spool lip. Or possibly even on the spool itself.

1nutinthewater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL reviews?

Postby 1nutinthewater » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am

I have taken it down twice now cleaned everything and relubed.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 78Staff, hoohoorjoo, i_am_R2 and 25 guests