OG Steez vs Steez TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which steez body to you prefer?

OG Steez
39%
Steez TW
61%

Total votes: 69

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: OG Steez vs Steez TW

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 am

DrPerf wrote:Fished with a Steez SV TW this past weekend along with my OG Steez reels (100HLA and 103HLA). Definitely enjoyed the SV TW and it seemed almost impossible to overrun. I am not great on pitching (distance and accuracy), but the SV TW made me almost look like a star :big grin:

Fished with the Zillion SV TWS for two days at Clear Lake a couple of weeks ago and it was a good experience also. But, I decided to go with the Steez SV TW, especially with 20% off and no sales tax for a Veterans Day sale.

So, while the Steez SV TW is great and I bought one, I will be keeping two of three my OG Steez reels and selling one of them (JDM version).

Doc
I feel like this is more of an SV spool advantage than the reel itself. You put an SV spool inside the OG steez and it should perform very controlled.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:30 pm

SSS wrote:
DrPerf wrote:Fished with a Steez SV TW this past weekend along with my OG Steez reels (100HLA and 103HLA). Definitely enjoyed the SV TW and it seemed almost impossible to overrun. I am not great on pitching (distance and accuracy), but the SV TW made me almost look like a star :big grin:

Fished with the Zillion SV TWS for two days at Clear Lake a couple of weeks ago and it was a good experience also. But, I decided to go with the Steez SV TW, especially with 20% off and no sales tax for a Veterans Day sale.

So, while the Steez SV TW is great and I bought one, I will be keeping two of three my OG Steez reels and selling one of them (JDM version).

Doc
I feel like this is more of an SV spool advantage than the reel itself. You put an SV spool inside the OG steez and it should perform very controlled.
The stronger / weaker magnets play a role as well obviously. But yes, you can accomplish close to the same results with the RIGHT SV spool in an OG. Where the Steez SV TW excels over the OG is for finesse - power finesse applications. That's been my experience anyways, especially with the Zpi Nrc001-m spool, which I wouldn't personally use in an OG as the inductor is much to small

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:

Doc
The stronger / weaker magnets play a role as well obviously. But yes, you can accomplish close to the same results with the RIGHT SV spool in an OG. Where the Steez SV TW excels over the OG is for finesse - power finesse applications. That's been my experience anyways, especially with the Zpi Nrc001-m spool, which I wouldn't personally use in an OG as the inductor is much to small
From personal experience, the weaker magnets aren't that much of a deal in the OG steez when using SV spools. The RC001 and RC002 spools in the OG steez are :big grin:

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:47 pm

^ Hmmm. Better than in SV Steez?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:10 pm

jvelth74 wrote:^ Hmmm. Better than in SV Steez?
For fluoro? Absolutely. Not for braid. For braid i would go with the rcs1016 or the R+ spool from the steez 103 (and this is for long distance casting. If distance is not important to you, an SV spool will be better suited).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 pm

SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:

Doc
From personal experience, the weaker magnets aren't that much of a deal in the OG steez when using SV spools. The RC001 and RC002 spools in the OG steez are :big grin:
Depends on the inductor size. Personally, I find the G1 1012SV a bit fast in an OG

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:

Doc
Depends on the inductor size. Personally, I find the G1 1012SV a bit fast in an OG
Not sure if the magnetic profile is the same from the OG Steez to the SS SV, but the 1012SV spool in my SS SV will cast into low-earth orbit and is still controlled.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:I feel like this is more of an SV spool advantage than the reel itself. You put an SV spool inside the OG steez and it should perform very controlled.
Not sure if the magnetic profile is the same from the OG Steez to the SS SV, but the 1012SV spool in my SS SV will cast into low-earth orbit and is still controlled.
og steez and the ss sv have the same magnets. i also do agree that the 1012sv is the longest casting sv spool i tried on the og steez

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Hmm, that hasn't been my experience. SS SV has stronger magnets, with the SV103 coming in at a close 2nd

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:10 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Hmm, that hasn't been my experience. SS SV has stronger magnets, with the SV103 coming in at a close 2nd
Are you using the original spool in your SS SV? Because it has a very tall inductor, and its what's overbreaking. If you have an R or R+ spool, try them in your og steez and the ss sv, you'll see, the difference in control is the same. SV103 does have stronger magnets.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 am

I have an original JDM Steez 103HL when the Steez first hit the market. I use it hard every year long and would never part with it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:36 pm

SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Hmm, that hasn't been my experience. SS SV has stronger magnets, with the SV103 coming in at a close 2nd
Are you using the original spool in your SS SV? Because it has a very tall inductor, and its what's overbreaking. If you have an R or R+ spool, try them in your og steez and the ss sv, you'll see, the difference in control is the same. SV103 does have stronger magnets.
Yeah, I took mine out today with the new Steez SV105 spool and it casts like a dream. I have it spooled with 15# J-Braid and mounted on a Major Craft MSX 65ml (6'5" 3/16-1/2 mod-fast action) and it is a 110 fishing machine! Good long casts even out of that short rod with only a slight hint of backlash in calm conditions with the brakes on 3. Could go lower if I thumbed it more. That spool can be as controlled as you want or as fast as you want without getting too wild. That's the only bait I casted with it today, though, so I don't know how well it would do with 1/4 or less, but I have a feeling it will handle 1/8 without issue.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm

poisonokie wrote:
SSS wrote:
Yeah, I took mine out today with the new Steez SV105 spool and it casts like a dream. I have it spooled with 15# J-Braid and mounted on a Major Craft MSX 65ml (6'5" 3/16-1/2 mod-fast action) and it is a 110 fishing machine! Good long casts even out of that short rod with only a slight hint of backlash in calm conditions with the brakes on 3. Could go lower if I thumbed it more. That spool can be as controlled as you want or as fast as you want without getting too wild. That's the only bait I casted with it today, though, so I don't know how well it would do with 1/4 or less, but I have a feeling it will handle 1/8 without issue.
Which SV105 spool?
Slp Works
Steez SV105 limited - dimpled
Orange Steez SV105 from the 6.3 Jdm Steez SV

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
SSS wrote:
Which SV105 spool?
Slp Works
Steez SV105 limited - dimpled
Orange Steez SV105 from the 6.3 Jdm Steez SV
It's the SLP works. Red. I wanted purple to better complement the gold on my SS/SV, but couldn't find a good deal on one. Got a great deal on the classifieds here. Anyway, it's a great spool for that reel. Much better than stock, and I actually liked that one for mid range accuracy. The Steez will hang with that and still let you bomb casts.
This is the way.