Daiwa Tierra 153 and Adv hsta ST

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tierra 153 and Adv hsta ST

Post by Moosehead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am

I have another stupid question that I searched for an answer and couldn't find anything on. I have two mint Tierra 153s and was going to give them to my kid to get started in bass fishing and he loves the reels but really wants a swept handle for them. I want looking at putting a lot of money into these reels and was wondering if the Daiwa advantage 153h hsta, the super tuned model's swept drag star and swept handle was a drop in exchange..? And I was also wondering if the hsta has a better spool and would drop right in as well? I thought these reels would make a great intro for him...they already have better bearings and perform great. Kinda ensuring another "Daiwa for life" fisherman..

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tierra 153 and Adv hsta ST

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 pm

I would imagine the star should be swappable, but don't quote me on that. These reels were before my tinkering days began. If the Tierra doesn't have a clicking drag star, then it won't work without additional mods. Does the Advantage have a clicking drag? As for the spools, I would again assume so, but I doubt they are much different if at all. Both have free floating spools correct? If you have both reels it won't take long to pull them apart and find out

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:45 pm

I don't have the advantage hsta but can source the parts and it's not too expensive. Didn't want to order the parts without hearing if it was GTG.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they are exchangeable. Was excited about this but I really can't find info of this anywhere...

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Also seeing how the hsta's handle is bearing supported...

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Ok, well from what I can tell it doesn't matter much anyway. The Advantage 153Hsta supertuned part number G87-4601 can't be sourced anywhere I can find..

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Yes, the parts will swap right out. The OG Zillion star will fit also, and will allow you to reuse the original handle spacer:
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... 5407002995
Then you can add any swept handle you want. This is a great handle option:
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... 6c00c9a2de
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Many thanks you just made my son very happy..I do have a couple of swept TD Zillion handles I have laying around when I upgraded to a bearing supported handles and could use those as well I guess..
I giving him the two Daiwa Tierras, a Daiwa 153h coastal and a Shimano bantam Curado CU200 B5 that has a 5:1 ratio. This will be his load out and I'll look at some rods for him next... thanks again!