Shimano Stradic CI4+ FA drag

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Stradic CI4+ FA drag

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 am

Does anybody notice that their drag slips when set “lightly” with replacement carbon fiber drag discs? I have tried lightly greased discs, no grease (dry), and when I set the hook hard, that drag acts like it doesn’t engage. If I ease into the drag moderately, the drag acts perfectly as it is supposed to. This happens with both braid and mono, although it is more pronounced braid. I mono back all of my braid spools. I also had the same issues with the stock drag, but the carbon fiber is better... slightly.

I’m basically running a tighter drag on the hook set and then backing off the adjustment knob during the fight, as needed. I have plenty of Daiwa reels (4 silver/red Team Advantage, 2 new LT Excelers), Pflueger Patriarchs (model before current, 7 total), and I think 9 CI4+ FA’s - only the CI4+’s drags do this. I just find it odd.

Was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano Stradic CI4+ FA drag

Post by faheem96 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Did you arrange the drag stack properly and in order? I once had the problem when i change my drag to carbon fibre. I had the metal washer invert.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 am

I thought I paid attention to how everything was arranged. With the flat metal washer, is there and up side and a down side to them? I know I have the order correct, at least.

On some of the carbontex discs, there is one that is a coarse cross hatch on one side and fine cross hatch on the other, where most of the others are fine cross hatched on both sides. Does it matter the orientation of these?

Thanks, btw!

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 am

Regarding the metal washer, i think there is. After i invert it, it works perfectly. Regarding the carbon washer, i put the one with the rougher surface on the bottom facing up, while the other two fine ones are on top.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 am

I’ll play around with it. Thanks!!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:46 am

This is a characteristic of carbon drag washers. They will slip at light settings. This is why we use the felt washers in the reels intended for use in freshwater. The true inshore reels have cross carbon because they tend to fish with more drag pressure. The carbon washers have more durability, but suffer performance-wise at the lower drag settings.

According to the internet carbon drag is an upgrade for any reel they go in... :roll:

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:20 am

Yeah, so far I have not been thrilled with the performance at lighter settings. I’m glad you chimed in, I’ll likely be going back to stock at this point.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:08 am

Sorry for the necro post, but I wanted to follow up and close the loop. Went back to the stock Shimano drag washers and it was quite the difference on the 1000 size reels! On the 2500’s, the stock was also better, but not near by the margin the 1000’s were.

I’m not writing off the carbontex completely yet. I’m going to try them in my 3000 and 4000 Sustain FG’s for salmon/steelhead duty since they can burn up a drag. In walleye/bass 1000 & 2500 reels, the stock drag washers at $.99/per, I’ll just replace as needed. Easy peasy.

Thanks again to Bantam! Everything one reads on the internet is not true, as it turns out...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Bantam1 wrote:This is a characteristic of carbon drag washers. They will slip at light settings. This is why we use the felt washers in the reels intended for use in freshwater. The true inshore reels have cross carbon because they tend to fish with more drag pressure. The carbon washers have more durability, but suffer performance-wise at the lower drag settings.

According to the internet carbon drag is an upgrade for any reel they go in... :roll:
Glad to read this post, very insightful. I was ready to order carbon drag kits for both my Ci4+ FA and FB, but held off because I had no reason to add drag performance. Kinda like putting a flowmaster on a Ferrari to me. I really feel the felt drags are superior to other brands I have that include carbon washers.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Bantam1 wrote:This is a characteristic of carbon drag washers. They will slip at light settings. This is why we use the felt washers in the reels intended for use in freshwater. The true inshore reels have cross carbon because they tend to fish with more drag pressure. The carbon washers have more durability, but suffer performance-wise at the lower drag settings.

Good info! Well said Bantam!
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Glad I found this thread. I was just thinking of ordering some carbontex drag washers for my 2 new Stradic Ci4+ 3000HGFB reels. Think I'll hold off.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:49 am

I know we at TT love to tinker but IMHO and experience Shimano Stradics come with liquid smooth stock drag. Upgrading drag on any $200 reel for bass is usually a waste of time. I have the Stradic FK 3000 and it’s drag is super smooth.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri May 10, 2019 2:38 am

I PM’ed Bantam yesterday for which grease to use for the replacement stock felt drag washers. Shimano’s ACE-0 (DG01) is what I ordered. Ended up going through Hedgehog in Japan as it’s kinda tough to find stateside, actually. Bantam’s reply was amazingly quick, btw. He’s really come through for us on here quite a bit and just wanted to say thanks again!