Tatula SV TW for light cranking

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tatula SV TW for light cranking

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

It's been a few years since I have picked up any new reels. I'm partial to Daiwa and have pretty much been using my OG Zillions exclusively over that time period. Anyway, I'm looking to pick up a new reel for lighter cranking duty. It will be paired with a Dobyns 735CB Glass and used for throwing shallow to medium cranks and some topwater, mostly squarebills and lipless cranks ranging from 3/8-5/8 oz. I'm looking primarily at the Tatula because I don't think the Zillion SV is worth the price difference for me. I really want the reel to be able to handle the smaller 3/8 oz squarebills well. What do you guys think?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tatula SV TW for light cranking

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:43 pm

The Tatula SV TW will handle anything you throw at it! Absolutely go for it. =D>
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Cal wrote:The Tatula SV TW will handle anything you throw at it! Absolutely go for it. =D>
EXACTLY what Cal said!! Couldn't be happier with my 4 Tatula SV TWS =D> =D>

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:35 pm

More spool options for the ZLN SV IMHO. Rumor is they may be going on close out prices soon. \:D/
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:More spool options for the ZLN SV IMHO. Rumor is they may be going on close out prices soon. \:D/
I usually don't trick out any of my reels other than swapping components for comfort and similarity. I will most likely be fishing this reel stock just a simple knob and bearing change. I would love a Zillion SV TW on close out, but I don't really want to wait and see. Again, not sure it will really matter for my needs anyway.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Tat sv doing OK with 1/4 and 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits for me. Doesn't chuck em as far as the ZLN SV and not as smooth. Only other bait Ive tossed was a rattle trap. No issues with them either!! Besides limited spool options and hating the non click CCC Its a solid reel. You should like it and it should handle your needs with ease.

I'm a bit north of you and would let you try my lefty. I've tricked mine out a bit with ZLN sv side plates to add the click CCC. :big grin:

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:Tat sv doing OK with 1/4 and 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits for me. Doesn't chuck em as far as the ZLN SV and not as smooth. Only other bait Ive tossed was a rattle trap. No issues with them either!! Besides limited spool options and hating the non click CCC Its a solid reel. You should like it and it should handle your needs with ease.

I'm a bit north of you and would let you try my lefty. I've tricked mine out a bit with ZLN sv side plates to add the click CCC. :big grin:
Damn! I hate non-clicking components. No way to upgrade the cast control to a clicker? This will actually make me consider the Zillion more.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm

I have a Daiwa Luna 253L that I use for inshore fishing and would really love it a lot more if it had a clicking drag star.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:Tat sv doing OK with 1/4 and 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits for me. Doesn't chuck em as far as the ZLN SV and not as smooth. Only other bait Ive tossed was a rattle trap. No issues with them either!! Besides limited spool options and hating the non click CCC Its a solid reel. You should like it and it should handle your needs with ease.

Damn! I hate non-clicking components. No way to upgrade the cast control to a clicker? This will actually make me consider the Zillion more.
Only way I know to make the tat sv click is replace both the side plates and front cover(doesn't look right otherwise). Expensive!! I did mine as a just see if it will work. Also had make a few custom parts. Not sure its worth it otherwise!! Too much $$.......

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:

Only way I know to make the tat sv click is replace both the side plates and front cover(doesn't look right otherwise). Expensive!! I did mine as a just see if it will work. Also had make a few custom parts. Not sure its worth it otherwise!! Too much $$.......
Certainly sounds like I'm just better off going with the Zillion at ~$250

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:30 am

I am a big Zillion SV TW supporter, but still... go with the Zillion. I have tried a few Tatula SV's, they aren't bad reels, but I think the Zillions are definitely more smooth and noticeably cast further and lighter. The brake inductor on the Tatula SV is massive.