daiwa spool help.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

daiwa spool help.

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:50 am

hey guys i have 8 daiwa sv 103s im using in the line up and they are all stock. I have one on a megabass javelin, valdivia, and perfect pitch. I want three spools to get some more distance on the cast. i use the javelin for different things that require longer cast, and the perfect pitch is spooled with braid for frogging mostly, and the valdivia is football jigs, swimbaits on jig heads, and carolina rigs. im just thinking there is a better spool option for long cast presentataions. Im just curious of what spools will fit in these reels just by dropping them in with really no other modifications?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: daiwa spool help.

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 am

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=77062

Lengthy thread that has plenty of options for your SV103.

Good luck
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Any 34mm Daiwa spool will fit that reel. Steez-Tdz-T3-IS are all 34mm. SV103 is pretty heavily braked, but long cast is also different to a lot of people. Tdz R+ does pretty well in that reel and has been about the best one I’ve tried in it. Also the RCS 1016 spool isn’t bad either but the R+ might be easier to find. For the best of both worlds the zillion sv 1016 spool was the sweet spot for me. Good distance and still retains the benefits of having an sv spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Has anyone tried one of the 2 new Zpi spools in this reel? Might be just what you're looking for

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:12 pm

thanks for all the help guys. Yeah i have noticed these are hard to come by lol they are all sold out on many sites ive seen. I think im going to try one of the new zpi spools while they are still available. then go from there.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Has anyone tried one of the 2 new Zpi spools in this reel? Might be just what you're looking for
I really like the ZPI NRC001-M and PG in my SV103s...a reel that I am not fond of stock, but where a spool swap changes that. With the ZPI spools I get “usual casting length” compared to other reels (longer than stock SV103) with little effort.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Revofisher wrote:thanks for all the help guys. Yeah i have noticed these are hard to come by lol they are all sold out on many sites ive seen. I think im going to try one of the new zpi spools while they are still available. then go from there.
I purchased my 3 ZPI NRC0001s from Amazon.co.jp - normally 1-3 months wait, but they get to you fast once in stock...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Has anyone tried one of the 2 new Zpi spools in this reel? Might be just what you're looking for
I really like the ZPI NRC001-M and PG in my SV103s...a reel that I am not fond of stock, but where a spool swap changes that. With the ZPI spools I get “usual casting length” compared to other reels (longer than stock SV103) with little effort.
I kinda figured it would be a good match. These spools have the ability to open up Daiwa reels that are a little over braked in comparison to the good old days.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Freaking amazing...If you got the cash get this...

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Lol ok you guys have made my mind up in the Zpi spools , ok I have a dumb question I have never modified any reels yet I have cleaned many an am comfortable taking them apart. Do I just remove the sv spoil and drop the zpi in? Or do I need to remove any bearings

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Revofisher wrote:Lol ok you guys have made my mind up in the Zpi spools , ok I have a dumb question I have never modified any reels yet I have cleaned many an am comfortable taking them apart. Do I just remove the sv spoil and drop the zpi in? Or do I need to remove any bearings
The Zpi spool comes with a Zpi spool bearing already installed. It also comes with a matching bearing for the side plate. Just swap side plate bearings, drop the spool in, and you're good to go

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 am

DIY has a HLC variant of their ZLN/SV BFS spool. Works pretty good, But a bit noisy. I have one in my SV103 for squarebills and rattletraps.

TTT has NPI spools in stock IIRC??
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:10 am

If your getting the zpi and want a matching side plate bearing for the sv103 (og zillion frame) get one as well. The one that comes along (besides the one one the spool itself) will fit in the stock spool but not the side plate. fyi...