SS SV spool in the ZLN SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SS SV spool in the ZLN SV TW

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:55 pm

I purchased a BFS spool for my SS SV as I mainly toss weightless plasics with it. After my season reel cleaning. Some how I oopsied and put the SS Sv spool in one of my ZLN SV's. Wow I was amazed at how much better it was tossing my little pop R. I easily got another 20 feet of so on the cast with the 1/4 ounce plug. Only seemed to help the lighter baits with a little extra distance and kind of leveled out once I got up to about 1/2.

Now I am trying to get another spool which is really close for one of my others. What other spools should I look into?
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS SV spool in the ZLN SV TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 am

SS SV spool is a downgrade for me. I did the opposite,put a Zillion SV TW spool in my SS though and it was great.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 am

DirtyD64 wrote:SS SV spool is a downgrade for me. I did the opposite, put a Zillion SV TW spool in my SS though and it was great.
Yeah, that seems to be the more common opinion. The SS SV spools have the really long inductors that normally cut off distance. I think my Zillion SV spool is the most free and easy spool I own. I have an MB FX 73 SV Spool, T3 MX, T3 1016, Zillion PE LC Red, and a classic ZPI something er other. Some of them might be faster but all seem to brake harder.

DaveJ

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:58 am

My thumb must not be as trained. The larger inductor seems to be more consistent with the lighter baits for me and I can use less mag setting and still not bird nest.

I ordered a SLP RCS 1012 and will give that a whirl.

IIRC isn't the SS SV spool lighter than the ZLN SV's?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:15 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:My thumb must not be as trained. The larger inductor seems to be more consistent with the lighter baits for me and I can use less mag setting and still not bird nest.

I ordered a SLP RCS 1012 and will give that a whirl.

IIRC isn't the SS SV spool lighter than the ZLN SV's?
No, the Zillion SV TW is only like 12 grams with bearing. My stock SS/SV spool weighs right at 15 grams with bearing.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 am

I'd be interested if anyone knows where I can pick up another SS SV spool?

I'll be trying the SV 1012 tomorrow if the weather holds out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:I'd be interested if anyone knows where I can pick up another SS SV spool?

I'll be trying the SV 1012 tomorrow if the weather holds out.
I will sell you mine. PM me, not kidding, I use only the Zillion SV TW spool in mine, so I have no use for the stock SS/SV spool now. Was going to order the white block, a Zillion Type R+ spring, and a SV TW inductor to upgrade it but they never came in so I am down to sell it.