Daiwa spool tension problem

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa spool tension problem

Post by poot04 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 pm

I have a Daiwa zillion tws, I was fishing the other day and noticed I was getting some over runs. Tightened up spool tension a bit but same result. Ended up tightening it all the way and no tension. Anyone know what the issue may be. Thanks

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa spool tension problem

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:11 am

Don't know if it could be the same problem, but I received a new T3 1016 that I couldn't tighten up spool tension with out of the box. A fellow member had the same problem and fixed his by taking off the cap and removing the plastic part under it, then putting it back together. Said he had to do it a few times before he got spool tension. It worked the first time for me. Haven't used the reel much so I don't know if the problem will come back.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 am

poot04 wrote:I have a Daiwa zillion tws, I was fishing the other day and noticed I was getting some over runs. Tightened up spool tension a bit but same result. Ended up tightening it all the way and no tension. Anyone know what the issue may be. Thanks
The following post should be right on. Have you disassembled your reel recently or worked on it at all? The little T-Bar takes the place of long shafted reels like a Tatula or Shimano design. It can get dislodged or sideways at times which will not allow tension to form where it butts up to the spool shaft. Making sure it fits into the rectangular head snuggly and flush should be enough to allow you tension again.

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 pm

I have the same problem too with an alphas sv. The stock sv spool works normally but then i change to the rays studio spool, this happen. I hope its just the tolerances.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
poot04 wrote:I have a Daiwa zillion tws, I was fishing the other day and noticed I was getting some over runs. Tightened up spool tension a bit but same result. Ended up tightening it all the way and no tension. Anyone know what the issue may be. Thanks
The following post should be right on. Have you disassembled your reel recently or worked on it at all? The little T-Bar takes the place of long shafted reels like a Tatula or Shimano design. It can get dislodged or sideways at times which will not allow tension to form where it butts up to the spool shaft. Making sure it fits into the rectangular head snuggly and flush should be enough to allow you tension again.
No I didn’t have it apart. It started while I was fishing. I swapped cast control off another one that was working but it didn’t change anything. Thanks

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Check the inductor on your spool. If it's loose or spinning you won't get any spool tension.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 pm

iabass8 wrote:Check the inductor on your spool. If it's loose or spinning you won't get any spool tension.
The reel is on the boat and won’t be able to check it till Saturday, but what hold the inductor for moving. I am no reel technician. Thanks for the help.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Open up the side plate and see if you can rotate the inductor on the spool by hand. If you can, that's your problem. I had this happen on an old TDZ100m spool once. Would do the same thing that's happening to you. No idea how the inductor didn't just come off and get stuck in the magnets on the side plate at first but it did eventually when it came completely loose.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:34 pm

iabass8 wrote:Open up the side plate and see if you can rotate the inductor on the spool by hand. If you can, that's your problem. I had this happen on an old TDZ100m spool once. Would do the same thing that's happening to you. No idea how the inductor didn't just come off and get stuck in the magnets on the side plate at first but it did eventually when it came completely loose.
Is their a quick fix to this issue or am I going to need parts

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:01 pm

IF that's your issue, yes it's fixable if you know what you're doing. You'll need to take the spool apart to repair it. If you aren't comfortable doing that, just send it to The tackle trap or ian shields to repair it. It's a very "easy" fix but it's a bit precise if that makes sense. You don't read much about inductors coming loose. I've only had it happen once and it was an easy fix.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 pm

iabass8 wrote:IF that's your issue, yes it's fixable if you know what you're doing. You'll need to take the spool apart to repair it. If you aren't comfortable doing that, just send it to The tackle trap or ian shields to repair it. It's a very "easy" fix but it's a bit precise if that makes sense. You don't read much about inductors coming loose. I've only had it happen once and it was an easy fix.
Thanks for your help

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:05 am

Had a spool adjustment washer dimple(on the palm side) after loaning a reel to a friend that heavily adjusted the CCC.

Curious to what you find. Please share once its cured!!
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:58 am

Second here, would really like to know what you find out.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:10 am

had the same problem with my Zil Hlc Tw this morning, stated getting over runs and when I tried to put some spool tension on, there was none to be found! Got it home, did some checking, every thing seemed normal. I took the side plate bearing out, took the fiber washer out, as well as the copper spacer under it, every thing seemed normal, so I decided to add another copper spacer under the fiber spacer. Ba-Da-Boom!! Spool tension restored!!! How it happened is a mystery to me, but the extra washer solved the problem. When I get back out I will put it thru it's paces and make sure all is well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Are there spacers under the bearing in the non handle side plate that are becoming dimpled and causing spool tension to be lost?