Daiwa spool tension problem

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa spool tension problem

Post by TommyG » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:07 pm

LowRange wrote:Are there spacers under the bearing in the non handle side plate that are becoming dimpled and causing spool tension to be lost?
As far as I could tell there was no dimpling or any signs of unusual wear. I have been using this reel for quite some time without a problem. The pinion shaft was fine, no signs of wear in the CCC, I thought for sure I would see the spacers in a cup shape, but they were flat. I'm not a reel tech, so i will find out if the fix works next time out.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm

LowRange wrote:Are there spacers under the bearing in the non handle side plate that are becoming dimpled and causing spool tension to be lost?
My original ZLN TWS spacer was brass(or copper??) And the replacement I ordered was a harder carbon material.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 am

Long story short, found 2 loose screws in the handle side plate. Spool tension is back to normal. Needless to say Mr. Screwdriver and I went on the hunt, found 2 more reels with screws that needed a touch up.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated! Glad is working. :)
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:27 pm

I have seen numerous Daiwa reels in my shop that have had the spoil shaft actually come unpressed from the spool itself. The spool can’t be centered and the tension no longer works. I can generally recenter the spool in the shaft but that’s just a temporary fix. A new spool is the only sure fix that I’m aware of.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 am

I still extensively use 2 USDM Zillion TWS reels, not experienced this yet. Maybe it is a flaw that is just coming out after a few years of use. Glad to see that it is potentially fixed by adding an extra spacer. I have never tightened mine very much though and kept them indoors ALWAYS for storage. Not sure that makes a difference but I assume some will never experience this issue.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:35 pm

I have seen the occasional broken pinion shaft the shaft that goes inside pinion and pushes on the spool tip. these issues are caused by operator error as a daiwa reel with magforce controls should be set so only the side to side play is removed from the reel and spool still spins free and only use the mag dial for cast control. this is the reasoning behind the zero adjuster with the newer daiwa offerings to make it difficult to adjust the spool tension so people use the mag settings.
The method of tightening the spool tension so the bait falls to the ground slowly is best suited for centrifugal cast control systems .

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:50 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I have seen the occasional broken pinion shaft the shaft that goes inside pinion and pushes on the spool tip. these issues are caused by operator error as a daiwa reel with magforce controls should be set so only the side to side play is removed from the reel and spool still spins free and only use the mag dial for cast control. this is the reasoning behind the zero adjuster with the newer daiwa offerings to make it difficult to adjust the spool tension so people use the mag settings.
The method of tightening the spool tension so the bait falls to the ground slowly is best suited for centrifugal cast control systems .
I agree but want to point out that centrifugal brakes also slow you to run a loose spool tension that produces a fast drop. That was the big appeal to me of Pinnacle reels I used to use back in the day. It's those nasty linear mag brake reels with weak magnets that can't cope with rapid spool acceleration and need higher spool tension and/or lob casts.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 am

iabass8 wrote:IF that's your issue, yes it's fixable if you know what you're doing. You'll need to take the spool apart to repair it. If you aren't comfortable doing that, just send it to The tackle trap or ian shields to repair it. It's a very "easy" fix but it's a bit precise if that makes sense. You don't read much about inductors coming loose. I've only had it happen once and it was an easy fix.

Any idea where to find the online fix? if sending reels in is currently not an option?