NEW: Daiwa Tatula 100 (based off Steez)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NEW: Daiwa Tatula 100 (based off Steez)

Post by Tony9 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 pm

The IPT listed on Daiwa's website suggests it has a 33mm spool

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 am

Tony9 wrote:The IPT listed on Daiwa's website suggests it has a 33mm spool
It is VERY close to the Steez A's IPT. I think it is really great they are using the frame from such a higher end reel, BUT... That's about all they are doing. It doesn't get a free floating spool, still has the basic Tatula bearing locations, still has a plastic handle nut cover (really looks cheap), and aside of new knobs and a zero adjuster that is it.

I know I already posted in detail about this, but going from the Curado I to the Curado K Shimano offered TONS more. Going from the Tatula CT to this though Daiwa basically just added a frame upgrade (a really good one at that). I just do not feel that adding a new improved frame, obviously improved braking, micro module gears, better knobs, extra main gear bearing, etc. are anyway matched by Daiwa adding a new frame, tension knob that isn't supposed to be turned, and tribal spider tattoo's. Once again I really hope the Type R has something special and the Zillion version of this really gets maxed out because if not... They might have lost a future customer...

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
It is VERY close to the Steez A's IPT. I think it is really great they are using the frame from such a higher end reel, BUT... That's about all they are doing. It doesn't get a free floating spool, still has the basic Tatula bearing locations, still has a plastic handle nut cover (really looks cheap), and aside of new knobs and a zero adjuster that is it.

I know I already posted in detail about this, but going from the Curado I to the Curado K Shimano offered TONS more. Going from the Tatula CT to this though Daiwa basically just added a frame upgrade (a really good one at that). I just do not feel that adding a new improved frame, obviously improved braking, micro module gears, better knobs, extra main gear bearing, etc. are anyway matched by Daiwa adding a new frame, tension knob that isn't supposed to be turned, and tribal spider tattoo's. Once again I really hope the Type R has something special and the Zillion version of this really gets maxed out because if not... They might have lost a future customer...
I dont see how they can max out a Zillion version without just calling it a Steez

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:

The maxed out version of the Tatula CT 100 already exists. It's called the Steez SV TW. I wouldn' t be surprised if we don't see a zillion SV TW update for a while. If we did, it would just be a steez sV TW without the recessed side plate brake dial. Not sure that's worth +/- 200$. If this new tatula ct100 is indeed in the same steez sv tw frame, it will sell like hot cakes.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I dont see how they can max out a Zillion version without just calling it a Steez
I agree will you, just hopeful thinking. I guess the Zillion version could have the same spool as already, brass gears, and the other minor mods over the Tatula (Zillion will be 1016 free floating, have Zaion sideplates over composite, light clutch upgrade, etc.)

The Steez would be the next step up because of a magnesium frame, even lighter 1016 spool, more bearings, etc. It seems unlikely to me that they will do a new SV TW Zillion, but I do see where they could squeeze it in price point wise. I just wish I could experience this new frame without dropping $500 (or $475 for a JDM XS 1012) or paying $150 for a more entry class. Wish the Zillion would come this week and fill the void...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:

To be fair the red block SVS of the Curado I had its fair share of issues and needed to be fixed. The Magforce Z on the Tatulas and braking profile of the stock spool has been great since day one. If anything the way the tat reels cast is their biggest appeal. Both the Curado I and Tatula reels would get geary and noisy with use with the Curado I reels being the bigger offender from what I hear. It is great that Shimano has micro mod gears in the Curado with the K but the move to a higher end platform with the Tatula 100 may mean that a smoother retrieve is coming to the Tatula reels as well. Diawa has demonstrated that they can make incredibly smooth reels without thr use of micro teeth gear sets. I wouldn't write off the Tatula 100 yet. We just don't know much about how it feels and fishes yet.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:04 pm

iabass8 wrote: The maxed out version of the Tatula CT 100 already exists. It's called the Steez SV TW. I wouldn' t be surprised if we don't see a zillion SV TW update for a while. If we did, it would just be a steez sV TW without the recessed side plate brake dial. Not sure that's worth +/- 200$. If this new tatula ct100 is indeed in the same steez sv tw frame, it will sell like hot cakes.
The frame looks quite different than the Steez TW to me. It is more similar to the OG Tatula than the Steez IMO, just narrower at the nose and chopped out the middle to fit a Tat CT sized spool it appears.
The new knobs look OK, but the "Zero Adjuster" (no one was asking for this feature by the way) and handle nut cover look terrible. I might pay $95 for it if it shares spools with the Tat CT. If they make a Zillion version that uses standard sized floating spools and it has nicer looks I might spring for one.

DaveJ

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:16 pm

I agree. It looks stylised after the Steez but looks bigger/longer from some angles. How did they get the weight down to 6.9 oz if it is bigger than a 6.7oz Steez A with aluminum gears? Don't tell me the Tatula 100 has aluminum gears.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
iabass8 wrote: The maxed out version of the Tatula CT 100 already exists. It's called the Steez SV TW. I wouldn' t be surprised if we don't see a zillion SV TW update for a while. If we did, it would just be a steez sV TW without the recessed side plate brake dial. Not sure that's worth +/- 200$. If this new tatula ct100 is indeed in the same steez sv tw frame, it will sell like hot cakes.
The frame looks quite different than the Steez TW to me. It is more similar to the OG Tatula than the Steez IMO, just narrower at the nose and chopped out the middle to fit a Tat CT sized spool it appears.
The new knobs look OK, but the "Zero Adjuster" (no one was asking for this feature by the way) and handle nut cover look terrible. I might pay $95 for it if it shares spools with the Tat CT. If they make a Zillion version that uses standard sized floating spools and it has nicer looks I might spring for one.

DaveJ
I do agree that there are some differences and it really doesn't make sense to put it in the same frame but there's just so many photos floating around that show it either being the same or just a little different. Hopefully we find out for sure tomorrow. I hadn't noticed that nut cover until you pointed out. That does look silly.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm

LowRange wrote:I agree. It looks stylised after the Steez but looks bigger/longer from some angles. How did they get the weight down to 6.9 oz if it is bigger than a 6.7oz Steez A with aluminum gears? Don't tell me the Tatula 100 has aluminum gears.
I had this thought too. Randy Howell mentioned something about stronger gearing and I hope it isn't referring to "Duralumin" gears. You would think if it were based on the Steez A frame exactly (which is 6.7oz) that the Tatula 100 would weigh more than 6.9oz when adding brass main gear and other parts. Then again I think the Steez A has an aluminum sideplate and the Tatula 100 had a composite... that could get it back down.

Either way I am still shaking my head over that plastic handle nut cover. Please let them make up for this tomorrow at the big show...

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

To be fair the red block SVS of the Curado I had its fair share of issues and needed to be fixed. The Magforce Z on the Tatulas and braking profile of the stock spool has been great since day one. If anything the way the tat reels cast is their biggest appeal. Both the Curado I and Tatula reels would get geary and noisy with use with the Curado I reels being the bigger offender from what I hear. It is great that Shimano has micro mod gears in the Curado with the K but the move to a higher end platform with the Tatula 100 may mean that a smoother retrieve is coming to the Tatula reels as well. Diawa has demonstrated that they can make incredibly smooth reels without thr use of micro teeth gear sets. I wouldn't write off the Tatula 100 yet. We just don't know much about how it feels and fishes yet.
I have to pipe in here for the Curado I, Mine has been very good and I have no complaints! Better than the 201XG K that I owned for only two days and returned, I compared the K side by side with a Cabelas Arachnid 8.1 (both new) same line same rod and I still have the Arachnid can't say that for the Curado K. I agree with everything else :big grin:

Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

I've still got my original Type R XS also. Dang good reel. Free spins longer than anything I own, first semi expensive reel I learned to break down completely and clean. She has seen 1000s of fish, catfish, striper, you name it. Even caught a tiny bream on a 4" Flipping tube rigged weedless (no idea how that happened still). That reel will stay with me for life pending a disaster. I just meant that the "offerings" and technology brought up and attempted hasn't quite matched Shimano as of lately. I am a Daiwa guy and if I was given only one brand I would still take Daiwa's because I am more comfortable with them. I just mentioned maybe leaving as a customer because I still like to try different stuff (tried a Chronarch MGL and was VERY happy)… At this point I've had about the best Daiwa offers, aside of a Steez...

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 am

I wonder if daiwa japan is releasing one with a shallower spool :-k

rockappalla
Angler
Angler

Post by rockappalla » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 am

Any rumors on the SV version?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am

rockappalla wrote:Any rumors on the SV version?
I made a call to a few tackle shops with knowledgeable workers... Said they were not able to tell me anything. I asked about the SV version of the Tatula, the Zillion revamp, and a few others. They said that some big things are coming but they couldn't discuss what or when. They said the best way to always tell is from other reels going on sale, kind of knew that one.

Either way I really hope they are offering a version of this reel with $200-300 class features. Looks like an interesting frame.