Ordering from Japan... Metanium MGL???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ordering from Japan... Metanium MGL???

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am

Japanlureshop and Japanangler are my favorites. Super fast shipping, usually get my order in about 3 business days. A bonus with Japanlureshop is when you are a regular customer they include little gifts with your order. I have received some pretty cool items from them (MB and Evergreen lures, tools, etc.), its almost like finding the prize in a Cracker Jack box :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Loafer wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:What do you normally fish for in Russia?
My target and favorite fish is pike. For example, catched with rod, which i ordered from Kazu :lol: : viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77069
But many people fishing for perch, zander, catfish etc.
That's cool. I'm one of these one world people that just wishes everyone could get along and put more time/money to science rather than fighting each other. This webite is really a cool place to get a worldwide angling perspective.

Right now a JDM Metanium is top of my list. Just hard to justify over less expensive reels. I really like how Curado 70s feel...

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 pm

I would personally go with JapanLureShop. I ordered a Met Mgl on Mon June4 and it arrived Fri June8 in the morning, Japan to Canada. On top of the quick delivery, they included a FREE Megabass Vision 110 jerkbait as a gift \:D/ Note that the Met Mgl is overbraked vs the 13 Metanium in my opinion, but sweet smooth reel still. JLS all the way, love the surprise gift

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:51 pm

FishNrace wrote:I would personally go with JapanLureShop. I ordered a Met Mgl on Mon June4 and it arrived Fri June8 in the morning, Japan to Canada. On top of the quick delivery, they included a FREE Megabass Vision 110 jerkbait as a gift \:D/ Note that the Met Mgl is overbraked vs the 13 Metanium in my opinion, but sweet smooth reel still. JLS all the way, love the surprise gift
My MGL is anything but over braked it's easily the longest casting reel I own, it out casts my tuned Met 13, Steez, Tats, Lews Etc. Shimano got that one right :D

Kurt

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 am

Kurt L wrote:
FishNrace wrote:I would personally go with JapanLureShop. I ordered a Met Mgl on Mon June4 and it arrived Fri June8 in the morning, Japan to Canada. On top of the quick delivery, they included a FREE Megabass Vision 110 jerkbait as a gift \:D/ Note that the Met Mgl is overbraked vs the 13 Metanium in my opinion, but sweet smooth reel still. JLS all the way, love the surprise gift
My MGL is anything but over braked it's easily the longest casting reel I own, it out casts my tuned Met 13, Steez, Tats, Lews Etc. Shimano got that one right :D

Kurt
x 2. The MGL has a different braking system (updated SVS infinity) so you possibly have it set up not at it's optimum level. I would agree my MGL's clearly outcast my old '13 metaniums easily. I sold all of my '13 mets because of this...

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:41 pm

I have the metanium mgl jdm version and I have to say its a very nice reel however i did break it in about 2 months. Maybe i had a defect but the handle would not longer turn and kept locking up. Also the thumb bar locked up. Sent it in to repair for usdm branch and surprisingly they fixed it and even though they said they'd charge $20, they didn't. Awesome customer service even though some say it's not great. But all that aside the metanium is one of those reels where if you don't use it side by side with another reel, you don't really notice anything. Only when you compare other reels side by side that you notice how much further it casts. Although for me the reel didn't feel as "smooth" as daiwa counter parts.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Kurt L wrote:

Kurt
x 2. The MGL has a different braking system (updated SVS infinity) so you possibly have it set up not at it's optimum level. I would agree my MGL's clearly outcast my old '13 metaniums easily. I sold all of my '13 mets because of this...
I'm not bashing the Met Mgl at all lol, i have 3 and 1 x 13Met 6.2 i kept for crankbaits. The 13Met i would never have more than 1 to 3 of 6 brake shoes in the on position. While the Met MGL i run 3 to all of 4 of brake shoes on. Mind, this is ONLY when using Flurocarbon 12 to 16 Lbs, and only while throwing LIGHT lures. Even had times with all brakes on and side-dial at 6, leaving only the CC knob lol. Spooled with braid, feels like a different reel than with flurocarbon. Great reel overall.

Btw, this thread is about where we prefer to buy reels from Japan no? Just got the Bantam Mgl and I'm sold... JapanLureShop rocks in my book.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:08 pm

rollyourboat wrote:I have the metanium mgl jdm version and I have to say its a very nice reel however i did break it in about 2 months. Maybe i had a defect but the handle would not longer turn and kept locking up. Also the thumb bar locked up. Sent it in to repair for usdm branch and surprisingly they fixed it and even though they said they'd charge $20, they didn't. Awesome customer service even though some say it's not great. But all that aside the metanium is one of those reels where if you don't use it side by side with another reel, you don't really notice anything. Only when you compare other reels side by side that you notice how much further it casts. Although for me the reel didn't feel as "smooth" as daiwa counter parts.

Some reports attribute the "geary" or buzzing feeling to the aluminum gears of the Metanium. I have also noticed that most of my Daiwa's are really smooth. Oddly enough my SV105 got dunked one day, was really odd feeling, then I cleaned it and it disappeared (I normally consider it better built than the Thailand plant Daiwa's).
Back to JDM ordering though, I still really appreciate everyone's help, just decided to wait a little longer for ICAST and hoping to sell off a little old gear...