Ordering from Japan... Metanium MGL???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ordering from Japan... Metanium MGL???

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

So I know I have had a few suggestions of what to buy on here, but I cannot stop considering a Metanium MGL XG. I just am excited at the thought of making my first JDM order, and really like the shallow spool offered in the JDM version of the Metanium MGL. I know some people complain of the aluminum gears but that is an easy fix if necessary.

I just would really like to know if it is worth it or what else to expect. Will I just pay the USD amount it shows or are there extra costs of importing and other issues I should prepare for? I have just never ordered from overseas and would like to know what anyone else experienced.

As far as the reel goes though, I am wanting to use it on a 7' area M or MH for lighter plastics and little swimbaits/jigs/etc. Does it offer enough performance advantage to forego another Chronarch MGL or first Bantam MGL??? Or would I be better off with a 3rd Zillion SV TW? I know I'm a hesitant and OCD buyer, but that is part of the fun to me. Also are there any other issues with the Metanium MGL, I seem to find more than I would like when google searching "metanium MGL problems".

Thanks for any help.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ordering from Japan... Metanium MGL???

Post by chreim20 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am

I've never had a bad experience ordering from Japan. I've bought from a few websites which are:

digitaka
japan lure shop
japan tackle
plat

I've also bought from a couple good sellers on ebay, they are:

omotenashi-japan47
ibuyjp

I bought a reel two weeks ago from omotenashi-japan47 on ebay in the middle of the day on Wednesday and the reel was on my front door Friday at 3 o'clock, exactly two days.

When I buy parts for my reels I always use Plat. You can bring up the reel schematics and pick the parts you want.

Also, I have never paid any duties or import taxes on anything that I have bought from Japan. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's never happened to me.

Hope this helps.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:56 am

The MGL is one of the best casting reels out there IMO.

If you are located in the U.S. then you won't have any import taxes.

I got mine from Japanlureshop and it came in 5-6 days with tracking...

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm

I've used several but like Japan Angler, the shipping is reasonable and I have my reels in less than a week. I've never encountered any import duties. It's as easy as any other internet purchase. I use PayPal.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Only time I’ve incurred an import tax was on fishing rods... I believe those were shipped direct from Evergreen International and not a retailer.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Never had an issue, The Met MGL is my personal favorite, I bet you will be very happy with it!

Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I found a decent deal here in the US on a new one... For $330. Is that extra $40 worth having the warranty??? I really don't want to lose the more shallow spool...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Never really had an issue either. I have used the same sellers as Chreim plus a few others eg JPAngler. All good.
I did buy a Pixy, which had some issues. If I had purchased that reel locally, I would have had it exchanged / repaired. Instead I had it fixed for a price by a reel magician on TT.

You could also buy the MGL in the US and get the JP shallow spool from hedgehog (nice shop) - but that is a further 110$ or so.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 am

Question about the Bantam again... Does it really have the plastic pawl like the Curado K and 70? Not really a big deal, was just reading older threads and noticed it was joked about/mentioned. I don't think the Metanium or the Chronarch MGL have that.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Question about the Bantam again... Does it really have the plastic pawl like the Curado K and 70?
Curado K & 70 have plastic shafts and metal pawls. Well over here they do.

Bantam has a aluminium shaft and plastic pawl - shocked me at first could've sworn it was ceramic but after a closer look yeh plastic. Shouldn't be an issue to swap out either.

What bothered me was the gap between the guide outer shaft and body to allow water into the body behind the handle shaft plate bearing area - that's going to be a fine mess for saltwater owner's if not upkept.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 am

digitaka , pay with paypal..takes about 9-10 days..i've never had a problem.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:47 am

johnD wrote:digitaka , pay with paypal..takes about 9-10 days..i've never had a problem.
This could be a problem, only have a Walmart card that I load when I need to order stuff. That way I don't have an extra cent even available just in case.

As far as the levelwind goes, I'm not too worried about it. Shimano has a good warranty system and I figure they know what they're doing. Not sure about the gap mentioned, but as far as construction/materials used I will just roll with it.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 am

JB in SC wrote:I've used several but like Japan Angler, the shipping is reasonable and I have my reels in less than a week.
+1 to JapanAngler. Kazu - serious and responsible seller. Many times bought rods and reel from him, no questions all ok. 6-7 days shipping EMS to Russia, PayPal payment.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

Loafer wrote:
JB in SC wrote:I've used several but like Japan Angler, the shipping is reasonable and I have my reels in less than a week.
+1 to JapanAngler. Kazu - serious and responsible seller. Many times bought rods and reel from him, no questions all ok. 6-7 days shipping EMS to Russia, PayPal payment.
What do you normally fish for in Russia? From redneck Southern US here, seems like we have every fish that exists...

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am

DirtyD64 wrote:What do you normally fish for in Russia?
My target and favorite fish is pike. For example, catched with rod, which i ordered from Kazu :lol: : viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77069
But many people fishing for perch, zander, catfish etc.