How fast is too fast?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

How fast is too fast?

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:04 am

Looks like Abu is getting ready to introduce a refreshed Revo Rocket with a 10.1:1 gear ratio :shock: ... our question to you is, where will the speed race take us and how fast is too fast?

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: How fast is too fast?

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 am

I think reel speed has practical limitations.
I have no doubt there are people out there who will be able to grind a fish out of heavy cover with a 10.1:1 reel. But those folks can already grind a fish out of anywhere with the reels now available. Bobby Barack can winch a fish out of anything, with any reel.
Even though they are currently available, I don't see many of the pros going to 8:1 reels, except for specialty things, like jerkbaits and topwater over clear water.
So I think this is almost an exercise in "what is possible", like Quantum's EXO reels, and maybe just another reel iteration to have something new to sell.
But I don't think a reel with that high a gear ratio will last very long, even with brass gears, if it's used for anything heavy.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:00 am

Wow! Who on TT going to be the first. There will be people who just have to have one.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 am

Would be sweet to plug a BFS spool in there.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am

ccass wrote:Would be sweet to plug a BFS spool in there.
So when you almost spool your line on a cast, you can retrieve it all in one crank of the handle? :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am

Cal wrote:
So when you almost spool your line on a cast, you can retrieve it all in one crank of the handle? :lol:
Yeah, about 12 cranks
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 am

Cal wrote:
:lol: :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 am

Cal wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:21 am

40 inches per turn was too much for me. Made an old Zillion TWS feel rough and just lost too much torque. Changed to 7.3 gears and couldn't be happier. I am looking now though for another 8 speed reel, for light tossing around brush though (light cover) with 12-14lb fluorocarbon. That is about my only use for an 8 speed, and maybe for C-rigs and Football jigs. In my opinion 7 speed reels can do it all. 31 inches per turn is about perfect, 36+ is almost too fast, 29 or so can still be fine too.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 pm

I for one love the Gen4 platforms overall build/performance/ergonomics. Hopefully this reel has magtrax only brakes. I really hate the dual brake system as it seems to limit my style of casting. Either mag or centrifugal only for me. If the overall build is to my liking, I would most likely pick one up, and swap the gears to a 7 gear out of the S. I really just like the look of the Rocket to be truthful. This is a great reel for pitching and flipping around to be in and out of the holes. Yes, you may lose torque with the high gear ratio, but I dont hold the rod up and just reel on the fish anyways. I pull up on the rod and reel down as to not put the load on the gears.
<")))><{

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:I for one love the Gen4 platforms overall build/performance/ergonomics. Hopefully this reel has magtrax only brakes. I really hate the dual brake system as it seems to limit my style of casting. Either mag or centrifugal only for me. If the overall build is to my liking, I would most likely pick one up, and swap the gears to a 7 gear out of the S. I really just like the look of the Rocket to be truthful. This is a great reel for pitching and flipping around to be in and out of the holes. Yes, you may lose torque with the high gear ratio, but I dont hold the rod up and just reel on the fish anyways. I pull up on the rod and reel down as to not put the load on the gears.

Forget the MagTrax... I’m hoping it has the IVCB-6 brakes!
Cal, Managing Editor

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Cal wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:I for one love the Gen4 platforms overall build/performance/ergonomics. Hopefully this reel has magtrax only brakes. I really hate the dual brake system as it seems to limit my style of casting. Either mag or centrifugal only for me. If the overall build is to my liking, I would most likely pick one up, and swap the gears to a 7 gear out of the S. I really just like the look of the Rocket to be truthful. This is a great reel for pitching and flipping around to be in and out of the holes. Yes, you may lose torque with the high gear ratio, but I dont hold the rod up and just reel on the fish anyways. I pull up on the rod and reel down as to not put the load on the gears.

Forget the MagTrax... I’m hoping it has the IVCB-6 brakes!
I havent dabbled on the Abu version of the centrifugal with external adjustment, but I will say that the version that is on the Lews Tournament Pro G is really sweet and easy to use.

The Magtrax will be a better suite for this reel as its more geared to pitching baits.
<")))><{

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:18 pm

I beg to differ... Abu’s IVCB reels pitch better than their MagTrax reels... there’s a reason they put that system on their higher end reels ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 pm

I think about 36" IPT is pretty good, but at 41" IPT if it does not struggle the more the better for us Salmon and Steelhead guys!

Kurt

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Cal wrote:I beg to differ... Abu’s IVCB reels pitch better than their MagTrax reels... there’s a reason they put that system on their higher end reels ;)
Pitching is a slow spool speed style, centrifugal brakes dont do a better overall job at that, unless you wanna crank them up, but then you lose performance. I.E. why Daiwas Magforce Z and SV reels accel at that. But hey, if it works for you, than more power to ya.
<")))><{