How fast is too fast?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How fast is too fast?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:59 am

Flying Fish wrote:The new Rocket has some internal changes to the spool shaft and pinion gear. The spool shaft is now long extending all the way to the tension cap, similar to how the old Abu 6500C3 had them and the Shimano Calcuttas etc.
Wonder why they would go to this design?
Also now the pinion gear is much longer. The pinion gear is no longer supported on the secondary shaft that connects to the spool shaft. Instead the pinion gear end is longer, extends all the way to the bearing in the spool cap (under star drag). So this bearing ID is of course now much larger to accommodate the pinion gear. I can surmise the advantages of this. Maybe this is the change in the spool shaft design reason. This follows the new pinion gear design and support?
I can post the pictures, but haven't figured out how to do this here!
So it has "X Ship" :lol: Good job for Doyo, that should open up some "game changers".
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:27 am

From bearing count and assumed design I still figure there are a total of 3 bearings on spool/pinion combined, so not "true" X-ship. Also curious to see what Lew's P2 bearings actually mean. The Tatula's have an extra support also that could be perceived as dual support (whilst engaged fighting a fish) but they actually have 3 total on spool/pinion also.

Only X-ship Shimano's and free floating spool Daiwa's have a true 2 bearing spool support and 2 bearing pinion support that I have seen; whether or not the spool is engaged or even in the reel at the time.

Flying Fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Flying Fish » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:From bearing count and assumed design I still figure there are a total of 3 bearings on spool/pinion combined,
That's right. One bearing each at the sideplates (two bearings) and one bearing on the spool, The bearing mounted on the spool shaft is supported by the mainframe. So when the reel is in gear, the pinion gear is engaged on the spool shaft/drive pin and is supported by the spool bearing/mainframe and the other end of the pinion gear is supported by the side plate bearing.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 am

I think 36ipt is my max. I've found situations where I hook a big bass and get her to the boat so fast she has not even started to play out and when they see the boat they go crazy. Have yet to loose a 8lb or larger bass this way but I'm expecting it to happen because I felt lucky to land the few where this happened.