Reel frame painting

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel frame painting

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 am

I picked up 3 CH100D7's that I did compete refurbs on: new main/pinion gears, worm shaft, line guide pawl, cross carbon drag washers, pawl cap, handle knobs, etc. etc. I fished the reels for the first time this week and very happy with them. I'm curious if anyone can paint the frame and/or side plates to original factory colors? Or maybe just a touch up? Not a huge deal but figured I'd ask as I plan to keep the reels for the duration.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel frame painting

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 am

Talk to Ian. His recent work with YT have been pretty impressive.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 am

There is a guy Shane that Spanky at Tackle Trap knows, hes very good.
<")))><{

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Shane has stepped away from painting reels. He’s got a few to finish up first but after that he’s taking a break.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 pm

It's a lot of work to do it right. I have painted a few and each one takes me about 20 hours total. Most of that is masking and fitting parts.

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 am

With a background in automotive and airbrush painting. I was doing a few reels when only ZPI was doing it. Unless someone is building a shelf Queen, frames aren't worth painting. To do them right they need to be soda blasted and chemically treated before paint. If you don't care much about chipping then paint away. The side plates are easy peasy, most anyone that paints should be able to help you out. good luck.